Faulty Chinese-Built Transmissions Plague New Ford Mustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty Chinese-Built Transmissions Plague New Ford Mustang

I don't if it's been posted, but 1st I've heard of it?

The 2011 Ford Mustang debuted last year to glowing reviews, strong sales and swaddled in American pride. But over the past several months, hundreds of owners have complained of broken Chinese-built manual transmissions — a problem Ford has yet to rectify.

The 2011 Ford Mustang debuted last year to glowing reviews, strong sales and swaddled in American pride. But over the past several months, hundreds of owners have complained of broken Chinese-built manual transmissions — a problem Ford has yet to rectify.
    On one Mustang owners forum, reports of the problems, possible solutions and complaints to Ford have grown to 2,700 postings, affecting owners of both the V6 and high-powered V8 versions. Fifteen owners have lodged safety complaints with U.S. regulators, saying balky shifts and grinding gears pose a safety hazard in driving. While Ford has offered several potential solutions to owners and reached out to those who complain, many say the problems go away after a repair, then return.

While manual transmissions are an endangered species among U.S. new car buyers, about a third of all 2011 Mustang owners — nearly 22,000 vehicles — wanted to stir their own gears, according to one leaked Ford production summary. It's the buyers who've owned Mustangs for years, spend up to $35,000 for their ride and act as Ford's best evangelists for life with a pony car.

The most common complaint is hard shifts between first, second and third gears, with grinding in other gears. One Mustang owner put his transmission on video — saying the problems had persisted even after six trips to dealerships, two new transmissions, three new clutches and 42 days of the car in the shop:

I'm not exaggerating when I tell you I thought I was gonna get killed tonight. Being on the highway and losing the ability to shift with 3 lanes bearing down on me was enough to make me realize this: A lemon is one thing... An anomaly. This is not an anomaly.

Another owner told the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that the transmission wouldn't shift in traffic:

My car's shift lever became stuck and wouldn't go into gear and I had to force it back to the neutral position while coming to a stop light.. The manual transmission in my 2011 Ford Mustang GT has been whining and grinding gears since the clutch was replaced due to a design flaw (only to get the exact same clutch assembly), and will be going back to the dealer March 29th to hopefully get the trans replaced (w/ the exact same trans that has all these known issues). I imagine this would happen again between now and when the car is taken to the dealer, this is my only and first brand new car, I shouldnt be having these dangerous problems, let along taking my brand new car to a dealership to keep getting repaired over and over again because the failing parts are just being replaced w/ the same parts only to fail over and over again.

The MT82 transmission in question is built by Ford and supplier Getrag at a joint venture in Nanchang, China — a point that has only added to the ire of some customers. And it's not the first time owners of that transmission have reported trouble shifting; the same problems were reported by owners of Land Rover Defenders.

Since the first complaints surfaced last year, Ford has attempted to soothe angry owners and quietly offered several possible fixes, from replacing bolts in the flywheel to new clutches to even swapping out the transmission fluid. While some of those repairs have satisfied customers, several report that the problems returned — especially the balky 1st-2nd shift.

We asked Ford for a comment, and we'll update when we hear back.

Thanks to RTC.
    2 Chronicles 7:14
    If My people, which are called by My name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

New design bugs happen- it sucks when they happen to you but they do happen. i had a friend who bought a new design mustang in 2005. Biggest pos lemon i have ever seen everything failed early and lots of electrical bugs. Haven't heard much about the new manual trans but from what i hear the auto is awesome ( even from a horsepower standpoint). Make 'em warranty it for an auto?

Comment

I don't own one, just came acroos the article and thought I'd share. I just don't think I'd want a $35k car payment. LOL
      If My people, which are called by My name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Comment

My guess it drivers buying this, going out and beating the hell out of it, missing gears like crazy and trashing the trans.. Now as for the flywheel bolts backing out, cant speak for that other then needs a little red loctite and problem fixed..

Comment

They advertise beating the shit out of it, gotta make a better product to stand behind if you advertise it like that. No different the GM putting "launch control" on a 4000 pound car, people cried cause it broke. People drive the shit out of these cars, duh.
          Doing enough racing for 99% of the board!

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeChevyII View Post
            They advertise beating the shit out of it, gotta make a better product to stand behind if you advertise it like that. No different the GM putting "launch control" on a 4000 pound car, people cried cause it broke. People drive the shit out of these cars, duh.
            I agree.

I dont care what automaker you buy a car from if you beat on it soon or later they fail.
            I'm sure with a New 5.0L in the car the driver had to do some beating for sure a time or two or three lol of course he wont show us that.

I like how when he showed us it was messing up he kept dogging it and driving through it.

Hope no one else is having issues with there car.

Comment

Nothing new, we didn't have the internet during the heyday of the t-5.

Comment

Originally posted by sickpony View Post
                New design bugs happen- it sucks when they happen to you but they do happen. i had a friend who bought a new design mustang in 2005. Biggest pos lemon i have ever seen everything failed early and lots of electrical bugs. Haven't heard much about the new manual trans but from what i hear the auto is awesome ( even from a horsepower standpoint). Make 'em warranty it for an auto?
                New design flaws? How long has the LR Defender been out of production?

EDIT: Nevermind. It's still in production.
                ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Dodge trucks with the NV-5600 have the same problem, cheap ass foreign produced gear sets. The damned Canadians at Magna Drivetrain sub out to the cheapest place possible for components and they get out of spec and poor quality parts.

Comment

Why sub out the tranny of all things to china, everything made from there fails, breaks, or is full of lead.

And after watching the commercial for the Mustang, yeah they pretty much pat you on the back saying it's ok the car can handle the abuse.

Comment

It's a Mustang, that's what it is supposed to be made to do.
                      Originally posted by MR EDD
                      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Reminds me of similar, though not as serious, complaints about the Mexican-made Tremec T3650 in 2003.

Comment

And the French shit they used back in the late 80's and 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                            It's a Mustang, that's what it is supposed to be made to do.
                            That's my thought, it's supposed to be a muscle car right?

Comment

Poor quality parts and the design for the engaugement teeth and slider assemblies are not very good either.

Comment

Working...
                              X