Mark VIII owners or former owners question inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark VIII owners or former owners question inside

I have a fairly low mileage 98 that has a driveline vibration that starts around 80 and gets worse as speed increases.
    I have read numerous times the cause is most likely the driveshaft.

Have any of you experienced this? Heard about it?
    How did you fix it?

I have a 1 piece out of a 93. Before I go through the trouble of swapping them, just wanted to check on here and see.

Only mods are cat back exh, cai, tune, & 4:10's.
    86 SVO

Look in at www.lincolnsonline.com

There is a Mark VIII forum where I bet you'll find someone with the answer.
    There is also a Tech section with articles on common issues and how to fix them (nothing on drive shafts right now, though).

Comment

Driveshaft. Common problem with the two piece design, put the one piece in and be happy. Have fun dropping the gas tank to change it.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
        Driveshaft. Common problem with the two piece design, put the one piece in and be happy. Have fun dropping the gas tank to change it.
        Ya, that's what I've been dreading. I don't have my garage right now cause my project taking up space. And my driveway is at a slope. So doing it myself is going to be a MAJOR pita!!
        86 SVO

Comment

My '98 has 170,000 miles on it and still does not have this problem although it is common to the '94-up Mark VIII's. I have a '93 driveshaft from my parts car in the garage also if the problem ever occurs.

I think that the 4.10 gears are contributing big time to your driveshaft vibrations.

Are you positive that there are no bent rims on your car and the tires have a good balance? The Mark VIII's are very sensitive to tire balance and will give the vibration issue you describe even if it hasn't been long since the last tire balance.

Comment

Originally posted by 1fast4 View Post
            Ya, that's what I've been dreading. I don't have my garage right now cause my project taking up space. And my driveway is at a slope. So doing it myself is going to be a MAJOR pita!!
            It's really not that bad. Just 4 bolts, then a couple of hose clamps. I just did this on my 92 Tbird super coupe. Took me all of 15 minutes to drop the tank.

Comment

Working...
            X