No announcement yet.

Double flares in stainless brake lines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double flares in stainless brake lines?

I bought new set of Classic Tube stainless brake lines for my 70 Mach. They are a nice fit and all is good so far but I later decided to go with an SSBC rear disk kit and need to modify the rear SS lines to connect to the flex lines on the disc calipers.

Am pretty sure this material is annealed stainless but regardless, I need to cut the lines and make some nice double flares in the tubes now. I already am anticipating issues getting them to seal up as I hear stainless doesnt seat as well as regular steel lines.

Any ideas here? I have never been successful making double flares in regular steel let alone stainless....
    Last edited by miketyler; 04-23-2011, 07:13 AM.
    Handyman, classic car and antique jukebox collector/restorer, and all around good guy.

sigpic

I did my old car in all stainless lines- NOT fun. I would never do it again. I had to try about a million different tools before I borrowed a hydraulic flaring tool (400-500$). It worked good, but still had problems. Double flaring didn't seem to be an option either, I ended up with either 37* or 45* flares and AN fittings.

Comment

I always took all my brake lines to Able Truck Supply in Plano. Don't know what kind of wizardry they were doing back there, but they could double-flare anything.

That isn't much help for you being out in east TX though
      http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

That may be my best bet then if I want to avoid investing in an expensive flare kit. My job is not that far from them.
        Handyman, classic car and antique jukebox collector/restorer, and all around good guy.

sigpic

Comment

They're awesome for shit like that... If you're anywhere near them, I'd just use them.

They also sell diesel exhaust parts cheap. FYI
          http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by miketyler View Post
            That may be my best bet then if I want to avoid investing in an expensive flare kit. My job is not that far from them.
            Not sure on the stainless as far as difficulty. You can
            Borrow a double flare kit from Autozone...Part#27015 loan a tool

If that helps.

Comment

Ok, am kick starting this thread. I have the kit that Autozone rents out and it barely does soft steel lines. I think I am going to need the hydraulic setup to properly double flare these.

I have the stainless lines out, cut and ready to flare. Is there anyone south of Dallas that does professional line fabrication that could double-flare these? I don't mind driving to Plano but if there is someone closer I'd rather save the time and gas.

TIA

sigpic

Comment

Where ever you end up at, be sure to take a scrap piece to test. Some places will say they can do it, but not realize what's involved in stainless flaring. It splits EASY - equipment and procedure is imperative.

Comment

Good catch, I may just need to send these back to ClassicTube and let them do it.

sigpic

Comment

I thought you could not (should not?) double flare stainless. IDK

Comment

This prebent set I bought from ClassicTube is all double flared. Their tool leaves some serrations near the flaired end but the flares are pretty.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
                        I thought you could not (should not?) double flare stainless. IDK
                        double flaring stainless is fine with a hydraulic flaring tool.

I would just flare it at 37* and us -an fittings to convert to the SSBC lines.

I have a nice Rigid flaring tool (which is a highly recommended one) and still cant get a good flare. If you do it on a hand flaring tool, you need to make sure you get a perfect 90* cut, then ream the inside and outside of the line.

Comment

I called ClassicTube and while I thought they would be eager to help it was more like, "well send us a bill of sale and the lines so we can confirm its our product. Then we'll get you a price quote." Jesus, for what I spent on lines and the time and trouble to ship them back and forth to them, you would think the response would be yes, ship them to us we'll flare them for you. Not a beef, just a little surprised they weren't more accomodating.

I called Able just now and they are real nice guys. Stainless steel? No problem. Am driving the lines over there to them today. Thanks for the tip.

On the conversion, should the flare type be the same from the old drum cylinders to the new flex lines on the calipers? Calipers are similar to Cobra, actually from Tbird am told.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                            double flaring stainless is fine with a hydraulic flaring tool.

I would just flare it at 37* and us -an fittings to convert to the SSBC lines.

I have a nice Rigid flaring tool (which is a highly recommended one) and still cant get a good flare. If you do it on a hand flaring tool, you need to make sure you get a perfect 90* cut, then ream the inside and outside of the line.
                            Yeah I have decent flaring tool also and SS in no joke.
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

They were not able to double flare but they did a pretty nice job on single flares as you guys suggested. Hopefully this thing will seal up nice the first time.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X