Which t-56 to look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which t-56 to look for?

I'm probably wrong about this, but I heard that some of the Trans Ams had the T-56 tranny that had the .50 6th gear. I'd like to have my cake and eat it too by being able to run 4:10's (or something like that) in the rearend, and also be able to cruise at 80 on the highway at 2000 RPM. Those numbers are probly off but I can't be bothered to look up what they'd actually be. Anyway, you get the idea. Only some of the trannys had the desired 6th gear. Does anyone know how to identify the trans so when I go browsing the junkyards, I can be sure I'm getting the right one?

PM thesource. You might also poke around rsgear.com and look at the ratios of replacement gear sets.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

All 98-02 t56's had .50 6th gear. 4.10's is nothing, you can run 4.56's if you wanted and still drive comfortably. You didnt say what year so I can only assume you were talking about 98-02 trans am's.

93 LT1 T56
      Borg Warner T56 6-speed Manual
      Gear Ratios : 3.36, 2.07, 1.35, 1.00, .80, .62
      & 2.97, 2.07, 1.43, 1.00, .80, .62
      Spline : 26 input/27 output
      Dimensions :
      Torque Rating : 350 lb-ft & 400 lb-ft

94-97 LT1 T56
      Gear Ratios : 2.66, 1.78, 1.30, 1.00, .74, .50
      Dimensions :
      Torque Rating : 450 lb-ft

98-02 LS1 T56
      Dimensions :

Comment

94-02 all had the .50 6 th gear

What are you wanting to put the transmission into?

Comment

My buddy has one at his trans shop.. he asked me the other day if I knew anyone that was looking for one. pm me if you wanna go look at it, the shop is in Lewesville..

Comment

Junkyards still think these things are gold, $1000 and up depending on mileage if they know what they are. Remans aren't much more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
              All 98-02 t56's had .50 6th gear. 4.10's is nothing, you can run 4.56's if you wanted and still drive comfortably. You didnt say what year so I can only assume you were talking about 98-02 trans am's.

93 LT1 T56
              Gear Ratios : 3.36, 2.07, 1.35, 1.00, .80, .62
              & 2.97, 2.07, 1.43, 1.00, .80, .62
              Dimensions :
              Torque Rating : 350 lb-ft & 400 lb-ft

94-97 LT1 T56
              Dimensions :

98-02 LS1 T56
              Dimensions :

http://www.tacreationsusa.com/manual_trans.htm
              I guess I'm an ignorant fuck but... dang they're borg warner? For some reason I was thinking they were tremec. Wonder if there is any reason to be concerned about that?

Originally posted by thesource View Post
              94-02 all had the .50 6 th gear

What are you wanting to put the transmission into?
              A 94GT stang. Already 5 speed in it so hopefully the conversion wouldn't be a nightmare.

Originally posted by 01svtboy View Post
              My buddy has one at his trans shop.. he asked me the other day if I knew anyone that was looking for one. pm me if you wanna go look at it, the shop is in Lewesville..
              If he's still got it in a month I'll hit him up. I like to ask things a long ways in advance so I have plenty of time to roll it around in the ol noggin.

Comment

Originally posted by StanleyTweedle View Post
                I guess I'm an ignorant fuck but... dang they're borg warner? For some reason I was thinking they were tremec. Wonder if there is any reason to be concerned about that?

A 94GT stang. Already 5 speed in it so hopefully the conversion wouldn't be a nightmare.

If he's still got it in a month I'll hit him up. I like to ask things a long ways in advance so I have plenty of time to roll it around in the ol noggin.
                Tremec owns the Borg Warner transmission side of the business if I am not mistaken. Borg Warner is just a branded name. Their ignition you buy at Oreilly is made by Standard Motor Products for example.

Comment

Tremec purchased the rights to the light duty Borg Warner transmission designs back in the late 90s. As for trying to put a GM T56 into your Mustang, its more work and money than you probably realize.

Comment

Originally posted by StanleyTweedle View Post

It's going to be more trouble and money than it's worth. Input and output shafts are different spline than what you need, input shaft is too long, bellhousing needs swapped.

I mean I guess if you got one for free and then swapped all the parts needed to make it work then it wouldn't be too bad. But it's still more effort than I'd want to spend on it.
                    --Marcus

Comment

Can you swap the 6th gear out from a .62 to .50?

Are the overdrive gears like the 5th in a t-5 where they are dependant on output shaft splines?

Comment

Originally posted by Muffrazr View Post
                        Can you swap the 6th gear out from a .62 to .50?

Are the overdrive gears like the 5th in a t-5 where they are dependant on output shaft splines?
                        Not on the GM units. The over drive gears are directly related to the input shaft and cluster gear tooth counts. The 2.66 and 2.97 ratio units use the same 5-6 gears. The difference in ratios is determined from the tooth counts on the input shaft and cluster gear which are different between the two different ratios.

Comment

Originally posted by thesource View Post
                          Not on the GM units. The over drive gears are directly related to the input shaft and cluster gear tooth counts. The 2.66 and 2.97 ratio units use the same 5-6 gears. The difference in ratios is determined from the tooth counts on the input shaft and cluster gear which are different between the two different ratios.
                          Is there a way to put a .50 6th in a ford transmission? More specifically, the TUET1260.

Comment

Originally posted by Muffrazr View Post
                            Is there a way to put a .50 6th in a ford transmission? More specifically, the TUET1260.
                            No. The only way to do it is to completely swap the 1st-4th gears to the 2.66 ratio from the 2.97 ratio it currently has. This would give you the exact ratios the GM F body has.

Comment

Working...
                            X