Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drunken Denton man kills daughter..

Only 20 years? He's getting off easy.

DENTON, Texas - A North Texas jury watched a chilling video Tuesday of a man accidentally shooting his 10-year-old daughter fatally in the head during a drunken lesson on handling handguns.

The Denton County jury was hearing testimony in the penalty phase of the trial of Duke Watrous of Oak Point, who pleaded guilty to manslaughter Monday, the day he was to go on trial in the Christmas Eve 2009 shooting death of his daughter, Ashley . Watrous could get up to 20 years in prison under the terms of his plea deal.

The video came from cameras Watrous had installed in his home to show child-welfare caseworkers after being investigated during custody disputes with two ex-wives, according to the Denton Record Chronicle.

On the video, Watrous lines his daughter and her 9-year-old brother up for the lesson as the carol "Joy to the World" plays in the background. The video shows Watrous tracking Ashley with a shotgun, rubbing her face and shoulder with the barrel and drunkenly asking, "Does that scare you? Are you scared?"
    Then, he picks up a .44-caliber Magnum handgun. As the words "Merry Christmas" come from a television in the background, the guns goes off, the bullet goes through Ashley's head and lodges in a cupboard.
    Watrous picks up his daughter, lays her out on the table, gathers up his guns and locks them in a gun safe. As she whimpers and chokes, her brother pleads with her, "Stay with me, Ashley."
    Watrous returns and bends over the girl.

"Ashley can you hear me?" he asks. After a moment, he says, "Ashley's dead."
    In opening statements, prosecutor Rick Daniel told of how the little brother telephoned for help, telling Oak Point police and other law officers that his father was drunk and playing with a "cowboy gun." A Texas Ranger who helped investigate the death said he smelled alcohol on Watrous.
    Defense attorney J.T. Borah told jurors that he would call witnesses to would testify to how the shattered marriages in Watrous' life contributed to the tragedy.
    "And the worst moment of his life is caught on video," he said.
    Oak Point is about 40 miles north of Dallas-Fort Worth.

Read more on myFOXdfw.com: http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/041...#ixzz1JVRTveCj

Holy shit that is terrible. MF'er should hang.

Comment

Kill him

Comment

What the hell? He had the sobriety to lock the guns up but supposedly bumped the trigger. Poor kid. Poor brother.

Comment

Eye for an eye on this one. That's terrible.

Comment

20 years to sit in a box and relive that shit... I bet he'd rather die anyway.

Comment

So was he drunk or did some cop just "smell booze on him"? Was any of the abuse ever substantiated?
              Originally posted by racrguy
              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
              Originally posted by racrguy
              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                20 years to sit in a box and relive that shit... I bet he'd rather die anyway.
                As long as he feels guilty and tortured by it, yes. Living with that regret for the rest of his life is a jail cell in itself. Now if he doesn't...

Comment

Hopefully a few Bubbas will have their way with him in the joint.
                  G'Day Mate

Comment

I can't even imagine. What a world we live in....

Comment

That shit happened about 1/4 mile from my house.
                      Stupid fucker. It's dipshits like this that give the gun control nazi the tools they need to get tougher laws to pass.

The house is still up for rent/sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                        So was he drunk or did some cop just "smell booze on him"? Was any of the abuse ever substantiated?
                        Who cares? Even if he was sober he needs to get the chair for this. Too many dumb-assess out there ruining it for the rest of us responsible gun owners.

RIP to the girl. Damn...the brother to watch it all.
                        "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

What a fucking peice of shit. I hope his cellmate rubs his cock on this douchebags face while asking him "does this scare you?"
                          Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

That 9 year old brother is going to be traumatized for life. Can't imagine witnessing something like that.
                            I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Wow that's horrible, I hope he sits in a cell and rethinks that for 20 years.
                              Originally posted by Nash B.
                              Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

Working...
                              X