X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trumann Police Officer Killed during Traffic Stop

Cliff notes:

In Brief:
    -Officer Schmidt was fatally shot during a routine traffic stop around 11:30pm Tuesday near Cottonwood Manor Apartments
    -37-year old Jerry Lard faces charges in the incident
    -Schmidt recently recognized by Red Cross for saving child using CPR
    -Fund being established for Schmidt's three children

TRUMANN, Ark. - One man is in custody in connection with the shooting death of a police officer in Northeast Arkansas. Investigators in Poinsett County said Trumann Police Officer Jonathan Schmidt was shot late Tuesday night during a routine traffic stop.

Patrolling as Usual

It was nearly 11:30 on Tuesday night and Trumann's recognized "Hero Cop," 30-year old Jonathan Schmidt, was as usual on patrol to protect and serve. What caught his eye was a license check which showed the 2002 Hyundai in front of him was not covered by liability insurance.

According to Arkansas State Police spokesman Bill Sadler, "Trumann Police officer Jonathan Schmidt, a four year veteran of the police department, initiated the traffic stop along Pine Street near the entrance to Cottonwood Manor."

A Horrific Turn of Events

According to witnesses, Schmidt started pulling the four passengers individually out of the car because of existing warrants as his back-up, 41-year old Cory Overstreet, arrived. However what should have been a routine traffic stop tragically turned into every law enforcement officer's worst nightmare.

"We heard some kind of gunshots. Well, I thought it was a CO2 cartridge paintball gun. It said, ta, ta, ta, ta. So, Hannah jumped over there beside the car and when she did she saw dude fall and a whole lot more gunshots was going on," described witness Justin Dunavin. "My sister-in-law was in the car and she was fixing to get handcuffed 'cause she had a warrant… Three people had warrants. It was point blank range. It was right that close. 'Boom!' as soon as he opened the door."

The Arkansas State Police charge Schmidt was the victim of a fatal gunshot wound after he tried to pull 37-year old Jerry Lard out of the car. After Schmidt's shooting, Lard exchanged gunfire with both officers. Lard and Overstreet were taken to a hospital for medical treatment, where Lard remains.

"There aren't any other suspects that we're interested in, in connection with his murder," Arkansas State Police Investigator Brant Tosher stated. "Both the officers had their car cameras activated and video taping during the incident and we've had a chance to review those and it's going to be a critical piece to our investigation, and what we're going to present to the District Attorney."

A Hero Lost Too Soon

Just last May, the popular and well-regarded Schmidt was honored after being credited with saving the life of a one-year old child at the Holden's Apartments in Southeast Trumann while on duty.

"He took action. He did CPR on the child and saved the child's life. He did receive a reward from the National Red Cross for that," said Trumann Police Chief Tony Rusher. "We're all hurt and grieving. Like I said, not only was he a fine police officer, he was a husband and a father of 3."

A fund is being established for the Schmidt family that includes children ages 12 and 10 years old, and 18-months old.

Seems cut and dry to me, RIP Officer Schmidt.

Hopefully they hang the shooter.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Rip

Comment

Damned sad man.

RIP Officer Schmidt.

David

Comment

pointless...absolutely fucking pointless...a lose lose situation over trivial shit.

RIP Officer...

Comment

RIP, senseless death over a warrant.

Comment

What a shitty deal... you guys be careful...

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post

Agreed. Poor officer. Rip
                99 Mustang Project JSTA2V
                going from really slow to just alittle slow

2013 Focus ST the daily cruising the 4 banger

Comment

It would be really hard to be a fellow officer and not put one in that guys head while he is in the hospital.

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                    It would be really hard to be a fellow officer and not put one in that guys head while he is in the hospital.

RIP
                    Yep, but the consequences of such actions would then be televised everywhere posing that piece of shit as a victim.

Comment

They should hang every single one of the scumbags in that car. 3 people with warrants in one car. Awesome.

R.I.P.

Comment

Dammm R.I.P
                        Originally posted by Da Prez
                        Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
                        Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post

After 10 appeals and 30 years in prison, we'd still be lucky if he got the needle.
                          "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

RIP brother.

Comment

Sounded like he was a good man. RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X