Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Business owners- tax on property/equipment - new thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business owners- tax on property/equipment - new thing?

I've had a small real estate office for about 5 years now, and this year, I get something from the Central Appraisal District assessing a tax on my business's equipment. I called them to ask a few questions, they acted like it had been happening since the signing of the constitution & that I would pay $.03 for every $100 worth of value of equipment (office furniture/supplies, in my case).

Have I been lucky to escape this nonsense for the last 5 years, or how has it just now come about?

Anyone else get caught off guard by this?

I bought all of my desks/chairs/phone system used, so my tax is going to be really low, but it chaps me regardless.
    Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

How do they determine value? Texas has a shitload of nickel and dime taxes that affect small businesses.

Comment

Been going on forever. Be glad you don't have a massive inventory!
      Originally posted by racrguy
      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
      Originally posted by racrguy
      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
        Been going on forever. Be glad you don't have a massive inventory!
        The inventory tax is bullshit too. Any stock we held was shipped out of state upon completion.

Comment

Been going on for years. I was sued by Bexar County a few years ago for property tax from 1999-2001. The original amount was a couple hundred bucks. Naturally they couldn't find me until it amounted to about $1500 in taxes, penalty, interest and lawyer fees...... once that happend, well hell they just looked up my info on my drivers license and what do you know, I lived there and had been for years.

Comment

It's a yearly county thing. Just be glad they don't audit you for the years you didn't pay.....

Comment

Nothing new, its always entertaining to see what they decide to value our equipment/trucks at.

They want a list of everything or they charge you a 10% penalty

Comment

I was sure that it was trotted out as a back-end money grab part of the new health care legislation. I'm glad I "missed out" on so many years. It's going to amount to about $15 dollars in tax. So worth my time & theirs.
                Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

Working...
                X