Wheels America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels America

I am looking to see if anyone can give me a better option or comment on their pricing.

I just picked up a set of Ford '95 Cobra R (satin silver) 17x9 wheels that need to be refinished and two of them widened.

Wheels America wants $135 a wheel to unmount the tire, inspect the wheel for trueness and cracks then resurface curb rash and scratches then refinish.

They want $300 a wheel to do the same as above and to widen the wheel to 10.5"

Does this sound like a decent price or does anyone have anyone else they would recommend?

If this is tech, Mod please move to the garage. thanks
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Surely Late Model has them new in that neighborhood.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

$135 is standard retail for wheel repair.

no idea on widening.

Comment

Originally posted by jammeejamm View Post
        $135 is standard retail for wheel repair.

no idea on widening.
        Yeah, $135-150 is standard for repair/refinish alone.

There's a place in Euless, off of 157 & 183 called TLC. They do repair/refinish, but I don't know if they can do the widening for you. 817-267-2280.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

americanmuscle.com has the chrome cobra r's for 149 per 17x9 and 169 per 17x10.5 - they don't show the satin / silver in a 17" on the site. Free shipping.

cruizinconcepts.com has the satin 17x9 for 110. They don't show a 17x10.5

latemodelrestoration has the satin 17x9 for 120. They don't show a 17x10.5

Comment

seems like it would be cheaper to just buy new wheels.

Comment

Thanks guys. I will give TLC a call.

I know I can get cheaper knock offs but I wanted to stick with original Ford wheels. Call me crazy I guess.

I might just take two of them to be widened/refinished and then find two more brand new. I can get the M-1007-R58 for around $165. At $135 to refinish I can just keep these two in their present condition as back ups for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Pro88LX View Post
                seems like it would be cheaper to just buy new wheels.
                New m-1007-r58 wheels are kind of hard to come by but average around $160-170 a peice. So you are right there but Ford doesn't make a 17X10.5" so I have to widen one instead.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                  I am looking to see if anyone can give me a better option or comment on their pricing.

I just picked up a set of Ford '95 Cobra R (satin silver) 17x9 wheels that need to be refinished and two of them widened.

Wheels America wants $135 a wheel to unmount the tire, inspect the wheel for trueness and cracks then resurface curb rash and scratches then refinish.

They want $300 a wheel to do the same as above and to widen the wheel to 10.5"

Does this sound like a decent price or does anyone have anyone else they would recommend?

If this is tech, Mod please move to the garage. thanks
                  I just got through doing all the research for you. I was looking into refinishing and widening a set of Mark VII wheels.

The bottom line is that unless you HAVE to have a particular look, or you have some model specific wheels that you HAVE to keep on the car, forget getting them widened. $300 per wheel is the norm...MORE if you can't send them the doners for the widening material. $600 for a pair of 10.5 Cobra R's? No.

I have a friend who works at a dealership, and ~used~ to deal with Wheels America. Key words are "used to". Quality has fallen off in the last couple of years.

I'm with the others....your best bet if you have to have 10.5's is to buy them. Depending on how important it is to have wheels that are actually the same color, you might consider buying a whole new set. Or give up on having staggered wheels and have all 4 reconditioned. But you are still real close to the cost of a set from Late Model Restoration, or American Muscle or such.

Comment

One thing you will want to remember, when you widen them you will increase your offset by that 1.5" because you are adding the the inside of the wheel. This will most likely force you to run a spacer.

If you buy 10.5 wheels, they compensate for that by either making it a deep dish or adding thickness to the mounting flange.

Comment

Originally posted by homealone View Post
                      One thing you will want to remember, when you widen them you will increase your offset by that 1.5" because you are adding the the inside of the wheel. This will most likely force you to run a spacer.

If you buy 10.5 wheels, they compensate for that by either making it a deep dish or adding thickness to the mounting flange.
                      I am prepped to run a spacer to compensate for the change in b/s. We are going 315/35/17 and some Nitto NT05 on the rears.

Comment

You feel safe running that big of a spacer on DR's?
                        G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
                          You feel safe running that big of a spacer on DR's?
                          Would it make a difference if I am running ARP studs and open lugs with a 3/8" spacer already but the tires I have are no where near the grip the NTO5 will have.

I think that widening these and resurfacing what have is starting to look like sinking too much into them. But damn if Ford didn't discontinue the wheel and out of all the dealers I called, LRS has three (1 that is brand new and 2 that are brand new but the inside lip has a ding to them).

If I want to go with a bigger tire in the rear over a 17X9 can offer I am going to have to use a spacer and widen the wheel. OR just get a set of Saleen 18x9/10 and run a 285 in the rear.

My delima is the car is going to need all the traction a larger tire can give me. Even though it may never make the track and is not set up as a straight line car. It is a 95 convertible with a 347, T76 turbo, 6spd, and full MM suspension with 3.27 gears. It is a car to be driven on the street (more) or road course (less).

Here is a pic of an 18X9/10 combo with 285s in the rear on a 1" spacer. Not mine, I pulled off of corral. Mine is black just the same but a converitble

Comment

I can go with a 10 anny 17x9/10.5 but I hate deep dish wheels and I am looking for a cleaner factory look I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                              Would it make a difference if I am running ARP studs and open lugs with a 3/8" spacer already but the tires I have are no where near the grip the NTO5 will have.

I think that widening these and resurfacing what have is starting to look like sinking too much into them. But damn if Ford didn't discontinue the wheel and out of all the dealers I called, LRS has three (1 that is brand new and 2 that are brand new but the inside lip has a ding to them).

If I want to go with a bigger tire in the rear over a 17X9 can offer I am going to have to use a spacer and widen the wheel. OR just get a set of Saleen 18x9/10 and run a 285 in the rear.

My delima is the car is going to need all the traction a larger tire can give me. Even though it may never make the track and is not set up as a straight line car. It is a 95 convertible with a 347, T76 turbo, 6spd, and full MM suspension with 3.27 gears. It is a car to be driven on the street (more) or road course (less).

Here is a pic of an 18X9/10 combo with 285s in the rear on a 1" spacer. Not mine, I pulled off of corral. Mine is black just the same but a converitble
                              FWIW I know there are a few Impala guys doing some trick shit in auto-x with the stock Impala 17 x 8.5" wheel and a 275 DR.
                              G'Day Mate

Comment

Working...
                              X