Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surnames - thought of the day

Random thought of the day:

In the beginning there were first names. Adam, Eve, John, Mary, etc.
    Along the way surnames, or family names, popped up. It started in heavily centralized populations as a way of telling apart all of the "Johns" and "Janes."

In English speaking countries there are a few categories of surnames. (In the US 1,712 surnames cover 50 percent of the population_

Occupations: Archer, Smith, Weaver, etc.

Personal characteristics: Short, Brown, Black, etc

Geographical features: Bush, Lake, Brooks,, etc

Place names e.g., Washington, London, Hamilton, etc,

Ancestral, often from a person's given name: Richardson, Stephenson, Nicholson, etc

Patronal: ie. Hickman meaning Hick's man, where Hick is a pet form of the name Richard
    By 1400 most English people had surnames and Henry VIII ordered that births be recorded under the father's surname.

So aside from the odd "I'm going to be different and change my name to Superman" crowd, we, effectively, will have no new last names in our culture. We're past the point of naming John the scientist "John Scientia." There's not even much Anglicization anymore (Eisenhauer to Eisenhower).

The world became so interwoven that it became impractical to assign these new names and everyone just accepted that in any population you could have a dozen guys named Tim Blacksmith and you'd just have to deal with it.

Anyway, it's a strange thought to me that in the course of human history there was only a small window where all last names were generated... then it stopped, and family reunions just started getting bigger.

Anyone else get sidetracked thinking about stuff like this throughout the day?

Can't say that I have.
    Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

No, but while reading your post I thought that Bush could be a personal characterization as well as geographic thing...
      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
      HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

My ancestors must have coughed a lot.
        How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
          All the freaking time. The only answer I could come up with for the names was that at the time the number of surnames out there adequately differentiated everyone on the planet either because the population was that much smaller than it is now, or because communication wasn't what it is now and even though people had the same name they lived 100 miles apart and would never meet or speak with each other.

Comment

One day an Indian boy asked his father why they have such long names? The dad answers, "Well son whenever a Indian baby is born the father would go outside and name the baby after the first thing he sees... Why do you ask Two Dogs Fucking."
            Originally posted by racrguy
            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
            Originally posted by racrguy
            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
              Random thought of the day:

In the beginning there were first names. Adam, Eve, John, Mary, etc.
              Along the way surnames, or family names, popped up. It started in heavily centralized populations as a way of telling apart all of the "Johns" and "Janes."

In English speaking countries there are a few categories of surnames. (In the US 1,712 surnames cover 50 percent of the population_

By 1400 most English people had surnames and Henry VIII ordered that births be recorded under the father's surname.

So aside from the odd "I'm going to be different and change my name to Superman" crowd, we, effectively, will have no new last names in our culture. We're past the point of naming John the scientist "John Scientia." There's not even much Anglicization anymore (Eisenhauer to Eisenhower).

The world became so interwoven that it became impractical to assign these new names and everyone just accepted that in any population you could have a dozen guys named Tim Blacksmith and you'd just have to deal with it.

Anyway, it's a strange thought to me that in the course of human history there was only a small window where all last names were generated... then it stopped, and family reunions just started getting bigger.

My last name would have about 3 or 4 more consonants if it weren't for Ellis Island

Comment

Matt Neveranswershisphoneorreturnscalls?
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

My surname is only a couple of generations old and I know exactly how they came up with it. It was an Ellis Island name that is ancestral in origin.

Comment

Mine's Dutch, so you can suck it bitches!!!
                    When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Scooter AssRapedYourMother

Comment

Acosta? Must have had some lazy ass ancestors. (Acostado/a)

Comment

Originally posted by SlowLX View Post
                          My last name would have about 3 or 4 more consonants if it weren't for Ellis Island

Spenser Slidesthepenisinhismouth?

Comment

makes sense for my last name, Hungwell

Comment

where did hancock come from?

Comment

Working...
                              X