No announcement yet.

Getting Dodge key fobs and programmed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Dodge key fobs and programmed?

Last night I made a decision I hated to have to make....

We bought a minivan. Its a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan

It was the right decision for us all around so no regrets. We found a nice one, very clean, low miles, elderly owned and darn near perfect condition.

The owner was telling me he was told that if the van has power windows and locks then you can get key fobs to program for them. My owners manual only shows the kind with the key built in and mentions that this type of key has the chip and the only kind that will start the vehicle, but the keys I have are just plain metal and are working fine. Did they also have standalone key fobs without the key and can you program the car for it?

The van led a previous life as a government fleet vehicle and makes me wonder if maybe the chipped key BS was bypassed just to save hassle of lost keys.

What color is the regular key? If it is gray it has a chip inside, if it is black there is no chip. If you want a key with remote you can call up any Dodge dealer and have them pull a moroney on the vehicle to see if it came with keyless entry.

Comment

Michaels Keys in Colleyville. They can come out to you. I paid $100 for a sentry key (key and fob in 1).. I believe the separate key/fob is cheaper.

Comment

Dodge Keyfob

x2 on call the dealer power locks and windows does not mean it came with keyless entry

X2 on Michaels Keys in Colleyville

Comment

[QUOTE= but the keys I have are just plain metal and are working fine.

This means there's no chip so no way to program a remote.

Did they also have standalone key fobs without the key and can you program the car for it.[/QUOTE]

Nope Has to have a chipped key to have a remote

Comment

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan

That vehicle comes standard with a transponder key.
            They get bypassed by removing the reader ring around ignition behind the shroud and removing the transponder itself from a transponder key and glueing it to the reader ring. Then you can start it with a plain metal key.
            Or with a remote start they do the same thing with a little plastic box under the dash. I'm not sure if they can be ordered from the factory without, but production vehicles of that model it is standard. That vehicle comes standard with a remote key combo. Not aware of any other but Detroit does some weird shit. But this is what the books say.

Michaels Keys prices: remote key combo w/o power slide doors $175.00
            remote key combo w/power slide doors $175.00

Comment

Originally posted by loc712 View Post
              That vehicle comes standard with a transponder key.
              They get bypassed by removing the reader ring around ignition behind the shroud and removing the transponder itself from a transponder key and glueing it to the reader ring. Then you can start it with a plain metal key.
              Or with a remote start they do the same thing with a little plastic box under the dash. I'm not sure if they can be ordered from the factory without, but production vehicles of that model it is standard. That vehicle comes standard with a remote key combo. Not aware of any other but Detroit does some weird shit. But this is what the books say.

Michaels Keys prices: remote key combo w/o power slide doors $175.00
              remote key combo w/power slide doors $175.00
              I found out this van was licensed to the DOD and used at FTW NAS? Likely its been tampered with since a plain metal key is working fine. Mine doesn't have the power side doors. I guess I'll decide if its worth getting the fobs for the other.

Comment

Working...
              X