Tips On Pumping Gas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips On Pumping Gas...

My wife got an email and fwd'd to me and asked if it were true. A lot of it seems hokey, except the last one.

So can you guys shed some light on this, any truth to any of this?

TIPS ON PUMPING GAS
    I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here in California we are paying up to $3.75 to $4.10 per gallon. My line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon:

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline.. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up; most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

2 Chronicles 7:14
    If My people, which are called by My name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Very interseting!
    Originally posted by Da Prez
    Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
    Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

Four refueling tips supposedly help consumers get the most from their gasoline dollars, but how useful are they?
      G'Day Mate

Comment

What about Wednesdays?

Comment

I remember hearing all those during the last gas spike..
          WRX

Comment

A sucker born every minute, then they learn to send out emails.

Comment

I wonder if he drives 5 miles to the gas station that is 3 cents cheaper and near an Ice Cream shop where the ground is approximately 2 degrees cooler and preventative full squeeze handles.
              Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
              Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

All these emails do is make stupid assholes take longer at the gas station during rush hour in the morning.

Comment

Ground temp rarely changes. To heat a tank 12' underground would take a serious event.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                    Ground temp rarely changes. To heat a tank 12' underground would take a serious event.
                    No shit, just ask Japan!

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                      I wonder if he drives 5 miles to the gas station that is 3 cents cheaper and near an Ice Cream shop where the ground is approximately 2 degrees cooler and preventative full squeeze handles.
                      Are you referring to me, cause I clearly stated I thought it was hokey as in fake except the last one.
                      That's why I posted it here and ask what everyone else thought.
                      If My people, which are called by My name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Comment

Originally posted by Up0n0ne View Post
                        Are you referring to me, cause I clearly stated I thought it was hokey as in fake except the last one.
                        That's why I posted it here and ask what everyone else thought.
                        By "he" I am referring to the guy who wrote the article.
                        Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                        Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Send it to MythBusters.
                          "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
                          http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
                          Factory Five MK4 Cobra
                          Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
                          http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
                          www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                            By "he" I am referring to the guy who wrote the article.
                            Ah ok, I hate fwd' emails and never pass them on, but my wife asked and although I didn't think it was true, had to ask the pro's here. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by 01yz2nv View Post
                              Send it to MythBusters.
                              Why do that when I have you guiii's.

Comment

Working...
                              X