• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA judge to decide if kids can visit paralyzed mom

Your thoughts??

By JOHN ROGERS

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES — Although she can't eat, speak or move, Abbie Dorn's parents say that doesn't mean she loves her children any less than any other mother would love hers.

Nor, her parents say, should Dorn be denied the right to hold her kids or watch as they grow up. They have gone to court in an effort to persuade a judge that their daughter not only wants motherhood, but has a constitutional right to it as well.

But allowing three preschoolers to spend lengthy periods of time with a woman who can only lay motionless will traumatize them, argues their father, Dan Dorn. He has been raising the two boys and a girl as a single parent since the day he brought them home from the hospital nearly five years ago. He wants things to remain that way.

After hearing closing arguments from both sides Thursday, Superior Court Judge Frederick C. Shaller is expected to decide whether Dan Dorn must agree to grant his ex-wife regular visitation rights.

Ultimately, Shaller's ruling will likely only resolve the matter temporarily. A parental rights lawsuit brought by Abbie Dorn's parents, Paul and Susan Cohen of South Carolina, is expected to take place later.

The tragic events that led all parties to Shaller's courtroom this week began on what should have been the happiest day of Abbie Dorn's life. That was June 20, 2006, when she left for the hospital to give birth to her sons Reuvi and Yossi and their sister Esti.

The first two births took place without incident, but as a doctor was delivering Yossi he accidentally nicked Dorn's uterus. Before doctors could stop the bleeding, her heart had stopped, a defibrillator they used malfunctioned and her brain was deprived of oxygen.

A year later her husband, believing she would never recover, divorced her and is raising their children at his Los Angeles home. Her parents, meanwhile, took her to their Myrtle Beach, S.C., home where they are caring for her. As the conservators of her estate, they also manage her malpractice settlement of nearly $8 million.

They want her ex-husband to bring the children there for regular visits.

Until a four-day visit last December, Dan Dorn had not done so. His ex-wife's parents say that was the first chance she had to hold her children since the day they were born.

Both sides agreed in court last week that the visit went well and the children would like to see their mother again.

But their father wants to limit their interaction to avoid traumatizing them. He noted that his ex-wife can't speak and he believes she isn't aware of her surroundings.

Abbie Dorn's mother disagrees. She says her daughter expresses her emotions when she smiles or cries and that she communicates with others by blinking her eyes. One long blink means yes. No response to a question means no.

When a Los Angeles Times reporter visited her last year and asked if she wanted to see her children, Dorn responded with a long, firm blink.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/03...#ixzz1HWLvqgGH

Holy crap that's some DEEP stuff.

I'm inclined to feel that the father should be supportive of the mother (divorced at this point or not - although, I don't think I'd divorce my wife. I'd just need a lot of help caring for 3 kids and a paralyzed wife.)

The key is - will seeing the kids help or hurt the mother? I'd think it would be a wash and I don't think the kids - if counseled correctly by family will be traumatized.

I'm just seeing red flags with a man who divorces his wife like that and more or less disowns her. I'd imagine there is a whole lot to this story that won't be reported though.

She's the mother and nothing indicates that anything that happened was her fault, or that she was a bad person before she got jacked up by a doctor.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by SVTNorthTexas View Post
      A year later her husband, believing she would never recover, divorced her....]
      Wow, what an ass!

Dinah had a heart attack and a stroke that left her partially paralyzed. We were together for 10 years after her stroke tell she passed away.
      class joke
      {
      private:
      char Forrest, Jenny, Momma, LtDan;
      double Peas, Carrots;
      string MommaAlwaysSaid(const bool AddAnyTime = True)
      };

Comment

It's gotta be about that 8mil!

Comment

Originally posted by SVTNorthTexas View Post
          The first two births took place without incident, but as a doctor was delivering Yossi he accidentally nicked Dorn's uterus. Before doctors could stop the bleeding, her heart had stopped, a defibrillator they used malfunctioned and her brain was deprived of oxygen.
          Understatement of the day.

Comment

That's definitely a tough situation but I think the husband is a weak shitbag.
            Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
            Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

I pray that woman gets to see her children and they get to see her on a regular basis. His ignorance speaks volumes and shouldn't be the determining voice on this subject since he has such an askewed view of the situation.
              Originally posted by Vertnut
              I'd run my junk through a waffle iron, if it makes you more "comfortable". LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Trick Pony View Post
                That's definitely a tough situation but I think the husband is a weak shitbag.
                Yes he is. So much for better/worse huh?

Comment

Wow, thats a very sad situation.

First off, he's probably the biggest dickhead in the history of man. Her condition happened bringing his children into this world, so he abandons her?! WTF

With the children being so young and never knowing anything different, it won't traumatized them. I hope the court allows visitation so this selfish prick doesn't win.

Comment

Don't worry, that shitbag will get his when the kids are old enough to understand what happened and what he did. It is only a matter of time before the kids turn on him.
                    Originally posted by racrguy
                    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                    Originally posted by racrguy
                    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if the kids abandon the father when they become young adults, just like the father abandoned the mother. What a selfish dirtbag.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                        Don't worry, that shitbag will get his when the kids are old enough to understand what happened and what he did. It is only a matter of time before the kids turn on him.
                        Yep. It won't take long before they realize he's a douche and they won't want to have anything to do with him.
                        BARBIE LOVES BULLITT991 3.17.07
                        I'm a Barbie girl...In my Barbie world...
                        PROUD OWNER: '04 AZURE BLUE MACH 1

Comment

what a dick! not only does he divorce the mother because she was paralyzed, then he doesn't want her to get to visit the kids. that guy is heartless!

Comment

Fucked up situation. If the kids say that they want to see her, the father should honor that. By traumatizing for the kids, he means for himself. I don't know what I would do in that situation so I'm not gonna judge the guy too harshly like the rest of you saints. IMHO what the lady is going through is not life and if she can think, probably wishes at times that she wouldn't have survived.
                            "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

I don't blame the guy for divorcing her, but not letting her see the kids is definitely a crime.

Comment

Working...
                              X