Any Engineers on the board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Engineers on the board

I was thinking about having a real stone wall built in my office on one wall. My only issue is the weight. I've seen this done before in other homes but I wasn't sure if you have to beef up the foundation in order to carry the weight. The wall would be about 10 ft long and 8 ft tall. If it matters the wall would be located on the inside of an exterior wall along the foundation of the house.

Aren't train drivers referred to as "engineers"?

Comment

I work for a MEP Engineering firm doing drafting/design work for the city

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
        Aren't train drivers referred to as "engineers"?
        I laughed.
        Originally posted by lincolnboy
        After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

It would be a lot easier and cheaper to just call a remodeler and have them cover the wall with the fake stone that you think is real stone...

Comment

What kind of stone are you talking about? Real, dimensional stone or man-made?

And what kind of foundation?

You say "office" - is this a home-office or an office in a commercial building? EDIT: I see you said "other homes", so I'll assume this is your home. In that case - one story or two? Lower floor or upper?

Need moar details man!

<---architect, FYI

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
              What kind of stone are you talking about? Real, dimensional stone or man-made?

And what kind of foundation?

You say "office" - is this a home-office or an office in a commercial building? EDIT: I see you said "other homes", so I'll assume this is your home. In that case - one story or two? Lower floor or upper?

Need moar details man!

<---architect, FYI
              It's a one story home and I would be using real stone. The stone wall would be built on top of the outer wall of the foundation if that matters and like I said it would be 10 feet long and 8ft high.

Comment

I play one at work but lack the BSEE. I do have a Lionel hat and wooden whistle.
                class joke
                {
                private:
                char Forrest, Jenny, Momma, LtDan;
                double Peas, Carrots;
                string MommaAlwaysSaid(const bool AddAnyTime = True)
                };

Comment

Medium limestone is about 160lbs/ft3. A wall half foot thick would be near 6,400lbs will be 1,280lbs per square foot on foundation added. Go fake. http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_materials.htm sorry wrong link.
                  Last edited by TexasDevilDog; 11-17-2010, 02:36 PM.
                  class joke
                  {
                  private:
                  char Forrest, Jenny, Momma, LtDan;
                  double Peas, Carrots;
                  string MommaAlwaysSaid(const bool AddAnyTime = True)
                  };

Comment

most interior stone walls are just cladding on the outside of a traditional wall. Goes up similar to tile except it needs a scrim.

Comment

Working...
                    X