Auto Insurance and a Total Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All I can say is good luck.

When I totaled my 02 GT a couple of months ago, I had absolutely no problem with the insurance company. I told them I wanted to keep the car and they did everything they could to help me. In the end, what stopped me was Wells Fargo having "strict policies" against the customer retaining a vehicle with a salvage title.

I could have kept it if I had been able to come up with an additional $2-3k without selling the wheels and tires, etc. But, it just wasn't in the cards at the time.
    كافر

Originally posted by sc281
    Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
    Originally posted by Trick Pony
    ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Comment

Originally posted by hookem06 View Post
      ...No, the first offer they make (most of the time) will be low...
      My insurance company surprised me with their first offer. I was expecting a $7,500 offer, but they gave me $8,300 for it.
      كافر

Originally posted by sc281
      Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
      Originally posted by Trick Pony
      ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Comment

Originally posted by hookem06 View Post
        BUT 99% of the time, its going to be a low offer.
        Let me guess, insurance people have an incentive to lowball claims, right?

To the OP, it doesn't matter if you can replace the vehicle for their offer or not. When I say that, I mean that they're not responsible if you're upside down, etc.
        You can't just say "I can't replace this car for the amount you're offering me". You have to show empirical evidence of that, i.e. newspaper ads, Mustang trader ads, dealer ads, etc etc. The more you can show that the current Dallas market is higher, the better off you'll be.
        Threatening an attorney does no good. We know the attorney is going to get 1/3rd. In my many years of doing this, I can count on one hand the number of people that sought legal counsel on a vehicle property damage claim.

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
          I was just wondering, I'm not too concerned about the buy back. As far as the original offer, should I tell them no I cannot replace it for that amount, or should I just ask them "Should I just get a lawyer to negotiate this"
          The first offer made by TX car insurance companies is usually open to negotiations. Look for how much a similar car can be bought in the market in your area. Get a few estimates and present them to your car insurance company. If they are satisfied, they will increase the claim amount.

Comment

Working...
          X