4.0 earthquake just reported in Snyder, Tx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
    Did I say anything at all about deaths? I'm talking magnitude and monitoring. You know...to measure when and where the heavy earthquakes occurred. I don't care to read your random ass google search facts.

To give a true statement that the top three earthquakes from 1900 to present you have to know measurements. Death toll proves nothing because of the vastly greater number of variables affecting that.

And I'm sure just like everyone else here you're a very well off 30K millionaire...for your age.
    Do the research yourself dipshit, they have the magnitudes on them.

And again, I make a lot more than 30k, thanks. You're on a roll with your inaccuracies. Anything else you would like to run your cum cup about? Maybe you would like to start a circle jerk to see who has the longest weiner?
    Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

You still don't have a grasp on fucking sample quantity. You are even dumber than I thought. If you measure more locations with better equipment now than you did in the earlier time periods, no shit you catch more. Your statement was directly tied to quantity...you do rber that right? This is pointless...you're too dumb to rationalize.

Comment

You still don't have a grasp on fucking sample quantity. You are even dumber than I thought. If you measure more locations with better equipment now than you did in the earlier time periods, no shit you catch more. Your statement was directly tied to quantity...you do rber that right? This is pointless...you're too dumb to rationalize.
        Says the person who recently discovered the difference between your and you're.
        Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
          Anyone else find it strange that three of the top ten earthquakes since 1900 have happened in the past 6-7 years?
          ..and 6 of those top 10 quakes were in the 50's and 60's.

Your point?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi View Post
            ..and 6 of those top 10 quakes were in the 50's and 60's.

Your point?

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...gest_world.php
            It was for the community of tinfoil hats, that was my point.

Comment

347Mike is an idiot, leave him be

Comment

Devil's advocate mode: ON

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                Anyone else find it strange that three of the top ten earthquakes since 1900 have happened in the past 6-7 years?

Millenia upon millenia of geologic time, 10000 years of human history... but only 100 years of serismic data and a couple thousand years (at very best) of anecdotal evidence (which does not directly translate to quake magnitude)

Your data set is too small to make any conclusive judgement.

The Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy

The Misconception: You take randomness into account when determining cause and effect.

The Truth: You tend to ignore random chance when the results seem meaningful or when you want a random event to have a meaningful cause.

The fallacy gets its name from imagining a cowboy shooting at a barn. Over time, the side of the barn becomes riddled with holes. In some places there are lots of them, in others there are few. If the cowboy later paints a bullseye over a spot where his bullet holes clustered together it looks like he is pretty good with a gun.

By painting a bullseye over a bullet hole the cowboy places artificial order over natural random chance.

If you have a human brain, you do this all of the time. Picking out clusters of coincidence is a predictable malfunction of normal human logic.

When you are dazzled by the idea of Nostradamus predicting Hitler, you ignore how he wrote almost 1,000 ambiguous predictions, and most of them make no sense at all. He seems even less interesting when you find out Hister is the Latin name for the Danube River.

When you marvel at the similarities between the Titan and the Titanic, you disregard that in the novel only 13 people survived, and the ship sank right away, and the Titan had made many voyages, and it had sails. In the novel, one of the survivors fought a polar bear before being rescued.

When you are befuddled by the Lincoln and Kennedy connections, you neglect to notice Kennedy was Catholic and Lincoln was born Baptist. Kennedy was killed with a rifle, Lincoln with a pistol. Kennedy was shot in Texas, Lincoln in Washington D.C. Kennedy had lustrous auburn hair, while Lincoln wore a haberdasher’s wet dream.

With all three examples there are thousands of differences, all of which you ignored, but when you draw the bullseye around the clusters, the similarities – whoa.

If hindsight bias and confirmation bias had a baby, it would be the Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy.
                Last edited by Strychnine; 03-13-2011, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SEB View Post
                  Shits about to hit the fan!
                  We are less than 9 months away from 2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

2012!!!!

It's coming early!!!! (that's what she said)
                    Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Wouldn't surprise me that there was a quake in Snyder with all the oil and gas wells in that area. I was there all weekend and the wife, several friends, and I were outside during the time it was suppose to have happened. We didn't feel a thing and I figured they would have said something on the radio but we never heard anything about a quake. I don't know shit about earthquakes and don't know what a 3.8 amounts to as far as feeling it. Too bad it couldn't be bad enough to knock down the houses that are falling down.

Comment

Mother Nature hates Snyder - a few years back she tried to destroy the city with softball+ sized-hail. Now she's trying to swallow it into the ground.

Comment

Can't sleep, laying in the hotel bed, decided to do a random search.

Did you know that in the last 6 months there have been 3 earthquakes in TX above 3.0 magnitude.

All have been within 17 miles of Snyder, TX, and all were N/NNE of the city...

USGS says the chance of a >5.0 in the next 50 years there is 0.201%, but geologically it sounds like an interesting spot. There were 10 quakes (2.7+, so no one would really feel them) within 25 miles of there last year and all were at a depth of 5 miles.

Any geologists on the board?
                          Last edited by Strychnine; 03-16-2011, 10:53 PM.

Comment

2012 for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                              Can't sleep, laying in the hotel bed, decided to do a random search.

Did you know that in the last 6 months there have been 3 earthquakes in TX above 3.0 magnitude.

All have been within 17 miles of Snyder, TX, and all were N/NNE of the city...

USGS says the chance of a >5.0 in the next 50 years there is 0.201%, but geologically it sounds like an interesting spot. There were 10 quakes (2.7+, so no one would really feel them) within 25 miles of there last year and all were at a depth of 5 miles.

Any geologists on the board?
                              Interesting. I was raised in that little town and still have family and friends that live there. I was probably about 10 miles from the last one and I doubt anyone there knew about it. I have a good feeling that Kinder Morgan running their CO2 lines in the ground and all the oil and gas wells are to blame for the quakes around there.

Comment

Working...
                              X