Co-workers that show no effort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
    How much time would both of you have saved if you had just told him which floor it was from VS. him having to look it up. Being a team leader means that you're in charge of getting shit done effectively and efficiently. Your unwillingness to share knowledge that you have affects both of those.
    x2 If he is new, he amy not know all of the ins and outs and shortcuts. What will it hurt for you to give him a little help and advise.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
      You've never been a team leader huh? He's also got to let people figure this stuff out and learn. If he gets into that habit it's always going to be easier and quicker for the lazy guy to just come ask him questions instead of figuring out.
      No one said he had to bottle feed him. Just give him a little help and confidence. If the guy comes back with the same questions while not showing any effort, then give him some static.

Comment

Read what he said, Dave said it is an ongoing thing. This is not the new guy needing to be shown the ropes, this is an employee that is playing the system.

Originally posted by line-em-up View Post
        No one said he had to bottle feed him. Just give him a little help and confidence. If the guy comes back with the same questions while not showing any effort, then give him some static.

Comment

Originally posted by noshine4mine View Post
          Read what he said, Ruff said it is an ongoing thing. This is not the new guy needing to be shown the ropes, this is an employee that is playing the system.
          Ruff isnt the OP, he is just someone throwing opinions out like the rest of us. Th OP said he has been there a while but that still doesnt explain if he knew this part of his job very well or what.

Comment

Who said it is not as important as the information that was given. I fixed my mistake.

Originally posted by Lason View Post
            Ruff isnt the OP, he is just someone throwing opinions out like the rest of us. Th OP said he has been there a while but that still doesnt explain if he knew this part of his job very well or what.

"He's not new. He has been on the team since 2003ish. I guess my perception of this guy hurts my attitude towards him. I and the boss have had talks with him that he needs to step up more as a role model to the newer guys. I can't give you all the history as it would take all day. And it's classified, but let's just say he has never done more than what was absolutely required."

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
              8 years on a job, you have no excuses for "not knowing a particular part of your duties" very well. How much friggin time do you need?
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                8 years on a job, you have no excuses for "not knowing a particular part of your duties" very well. How much friggin time do you need?
                8 years, should be enough time to have figured out each floor has it's own IP range. What a dumbass technician to not know where the IP spread sheet is.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                  I have been doing my job for over 10 years but even I run into things I only do once a year or longer and maybe need to ask someone if they remember how to do something.

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                    Sounds to me like he needs to be replaced with someone that knows how/wants to do the job.
                    LIKE ME! I'm looking for a Helpdesk job right now.

Comment

Guessing it is one of those deals where the 3rd or other octet dictates what floor the IP address is on.

That person will always be a desktop support person. Some people do it as a stepping stone, some do it cause they love it and other do it cause they are unable to even do that job muchless move onto to something else.
                      Originally posted by MR EDD
                      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by Pro88LX View Post
                        LIKE ME! I'm looking for a Helpdesk job right now.
                        Hire this guy. He's pretty helpful!

Comment

If he has been shown how to do it, it is his fault.
                          If he has not been shown how to do it, it is your fault.
                          Assuming he has been shown how to do it, a better answer to "what floor is it on?" is "that is a great question."

If you're answering their question then you're the answer man and they will never learn. Train and then don't be the answer man.

Comment

I work with several that fit this description. Won't put forth any effort to get the job done yet put forth considerable effort to do as little as possible. They have no regard for the fact that their laziness creates a burden on their colleagues.

I wish they could be fired, but it seems like that's virtually impossible these days.
                            - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
                            1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

First question, did you what floor it was on? Second question, has the guy had a raise recently?
                              Wanna see my care face???

Comment

GUYS,

8 years for a desktop technician to not know how to look at a spread sheet he should know well at this point, to determine which floor this is on.

There is no excuse.

If the guy went about trying to find out first instead of having the answer handed to him for something he should already know, I am willing to bet Dave would have given him the answer.

I would be ashamed to be a desktop tech and not know this. Knowing where the spread sheet is and comparaing it to an already researched MAC and IP should be a cinch for a SENIOR TECHNICIAN. Undoubtly at some point this information would help this person, but they will never know that, because he doesn't give a shit.

Personally I like Air conditioning, beer, and steak. If knowing shit like spread sheet location helps me keep the job that provides these things, then I do it. It is only in my best interest to know these things, your not doing the company a favor by doing your job well, you are doing yourself a favor.

I can't help but think everyone defending this guy is scared they are in his shoes.

Comment

Working...
                                X