Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zombie Ants

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot...control-fungus

'Zombie ants' may sound like the title of an Ed Wood movie, but, according to National Geographic, they are quite real.

Oddly, there's nothing very zombie-like about the actual ants. It's only when a particular fungus takes over the ant's brain that things get weird.

Once the "stalk of the newfound fungus species Ophiocordyceps camponoti-balzani infects an ant, the ant gives up control over its own body. After the fungus is in control, it forces the ant to scamper toward "a location ideal for the fungi to grow and spread their spores." Then, it's lights out for the ant. Who knew a fungus could be so diabolical?

These wild discoveries were made by a group in Brazil headed by entomologist David Hughes. National Geographic published a series of pictures of ants that have "lost their minds" to the fungus. You can check out a sample of them below. Not for the squeamish.

Suicide Cricket?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
        Suicide Cricket?

WTF???

Had some worm possessed that cricket???

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
          WTF???

Had some worm possessed that cricket???
          Yeah man. Parasitic worm. Ever seen the movie "The Happening" with Mark Wahlberg? Based loosely on that.

Comment

This shit was on planet earth when it first aired. Old news.
            "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

ive known fungus to be diabolical since i started eating psilocybin mushrooms years ago lmao.

Comment

That cricket vid was twisted. I have never seen that. The ants I have heard of, but I thought it was an exotic fly of some kind that laid its larvae in them,specifically fire ants

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
                  This shit was on planet earth when it first aired. Old news.
                  Maybe you watch too much tv.

Comment

holy fuck just watched the cricket vid.

poor lil bastard, lol.

Comment

Working...
                    X