Insuring an custom "race" car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insuring an custom "race" car.

So as my project is nearing an end it is time for insurance. To get the car registered I just threw it on my policy with liability only. Obviously this is not ideal with the amount of money I have in the car. This is especially important since the car is technically a 1979 Mustang Coupe (factory V8 ghia), so they'd probably only shell out a few dollars if I ever made a claim.

The only answer is to find an agreed value policy. I have a spreadsheet that list every part on the car (minus the actual car, paint, engine, trans, labor, and some other things) and it comes up to near 13k (the car was just over 5k new ).

I talked to Kim (mutherjuggz) and she indicated I'd definitly need to get an appraisal from a third party to submit to whomever would cover it. She seemed up-beat about the deal until she found out that the car is a bit race orriented, ie. 10 point cage, 5 point harnesses, 28in et streets, glass hood/trunk, etc.

My bro-in-law has an older Ford pick up that is similar to this (except powered by a 351c vs the ls engine I am running), and he was able to get an agreed value policy.

Anyone out here with a rather aggressive car able to get decent coverage?

Here are some pictures for reference (hood is being replaced by a 2.5" cowl fyi).

Thanks!

Kim was able to get me extra coverage for my Explorer with tons of customizations, but it's not a race car. I can see how that makes a difference seeing as how it will be used doing something dangerous. Good luck!

Comment

Call Bill Lutz, he will insure a race car

YOUR SOURCE FOR ON TRACK RACE CAR INSURANCE CALL 614-861-3100

Comment

O.K. folks, we are officially back to writing new on and off race car insurance policies as of February 1st. There have been several changes so I will list them here for everyone to review.

We will now have 2 rates. One for cars running Outlaw Drag Radial and faster. this includes heads up cars running 315 radials and any of the Outlaw 10.5 stuff. Any heads up ADRL and all Por-Mods fit into this catagory.
        Drag Radial cars running in X275 or cars running heads up in TTF classes will fit into the lower rate category. The lower rate category is where the bulk of cars will fit. E.T. cars, index cars any pretty much anything running slower than 7 flat in the 1/4 fit into this category.
        Policy deductibles have also changed. The new deductible will be a straight 10% of your coverage amount. So if we cover your car for $30,000 your deductible will be $3,000.
        We will no longer offer the option to "drop" your on track coverage in the off season and put it back on at a later date. It's either 12 months of on and off track or 12 months of just off track coverage.
        The last change is that we can no longer off "roller only" coverage. All cars are now required to be written bumper to bumper.
        Many things haven't changed like we still cover your opponent in the other lane for up to $50,000 in damages caused by you crossing the center line. Your car is still covered while being stored and towed. We can still cover your trailer and all of it's contents. The limits of coverage for our "on track" program are also the same. We still have a maximum value of $100,000 we can cover any one car for.
        I have a long list of people who have contacted me in the last few months and I'm going to do my best to send them all emails with this same information. If you would like a quote just email myself or Bill Lutz at Raceins@coiservices.com or Billg@coiservices.com

You can also call the office at 614-861-3100 we are here M-F 9am to 5pm Eastern time.
        614-861-3100
        614-620-2606

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dad View Post
          O.K. folks, we are officially back to writing new on and off race car insurance policies as of February 1st. There have been several changes so I will list them here for everyone to review.

We will now have 2 rates. One for cars running Outlaw Drag Radial and faster. this includes heads up cars running 315 radials and any of the Outlaw 10.5 stuff. Any heads up ADRL and all Por-Mods fit into this catagory.
          Drag Radial cars running in X275 or cars running heads up in TTF classes will fit into the lower rate category. The lower rate category is where the bulk of cars will fit. E.T. cars, index cars any pretty much anything running slower than 7 flat in the 1/4 fit into this category.
          Policy deductibles have also changed. The new deductible will be a straight 10% of your coverage amount. So if we cover your car for $30,000 your deductible will be $3,000.
          We will no longer offer the option to "drop" your on track coverage in the off season and put it back on at a later date. It's either 12 months of on and off track or 12 months of just off track coverage.
          The last change is that we can no longer off "roller only" coverage. All cars are now required to be written bumper to bumper.
          Many things haven't changed like we still cover your opponent in the other lane for up to $50,000 in damages caused by you crossing the center line. Your car is still covered while being stored and towed. We can still cover your trailer and all of it's contents. The limits of coverage for our "on track" program are also the same. We still have a maximum value of $100,000 we can cover any one car for.
          I have a long list of people who have contacted me in the last few months and I'm going to do my best to send them all emails with this same information. If you would like a quote just email myself or Bill Lutz at Raceins@coiservices.com or Billg@coiservices.com

You can also call the office at 614-861-3100 we are here M-F 9am to 5pm Eastern time.
          614-861-3100
          614-620-2606

Will this policy cover you on the street? Sounds like a RACE car policy, not really a "race car that drives on the street" policy.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
            Will this policy cover you on the street? Sounds like a RACE car policy, not really a "race car that drives on the street" policy.

It is race car policy

Comment

What's up with all the "1's" on the license plate?
              Originally posted by Nash B.
              Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dad View Post
                It is race car policy
                It's a race car policy for use on and off track, right?
                Originally posted by Vertnut
                I'd run my junk through a waffle iron, if it makes you more "comfortable". LOL!

Comment

an race car?

Comment

PM sent

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked98Snake View Post
                      Doesn't want someone running the registration from the actual tag and then coming to steal it.

Comment

i pay 100 a month for full coverage on my 93gt

Originally posted by DOHCTR
                        You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked98Snake View Post
                          It was supposed to be !!! !!!! but the license plate agent fucked it up

Comment

Originally posted by bonnie&clyde View Post
                            i pay 100 a month for full coverage on my 93gt

And if it ever gets totaled they'll give you about $1500 for it because its almost 20 years old.

Comment

I have my car insured through Hagerty. You set the value, and then send them the pictures, they have an adjuster call you, and then agree on a value (My black 82 GT is insured for 8k). Being "classic" car insurance, you aren't supposed to daily drive it (you have to prove you have another car), you have to store it inside, but its not insured while you are racing it . They won't insure it if you have nitrous though (not sure why). It's covered for liability, collision, and towing for like $240.00 a year

Robert
                              Last edited by R3_82GT; 03-04-2011, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X