firing a pregnant chick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• firing a pregnant chick

isnt it against the law to fire someone who is pregnant? i know it would be hard to prove that they fired you because of that but still

Originally posted by DOHCTR
    You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Firing her because she's pregnant, yes. But firing her for a lapse in policy that's well documented, while she's pregnant is not illegal.

Comment

well up until she told them she was pregnant they always told her she was doing a good job, she went $100,000 above her selling budget last year and at the beginning of this month after her telling them that she was pregnant they told her she had to be at a certain percent or they would can her, and since she didnt make it they let her go today

she was never given a write up or anything like that for any reason

Comment

Originally posted by bonnie&clyde View Post
        well up until she told them she was pregnant they always told her she was doing a good job, she went $100,000 above her selling budget last year and at the beginning of this month after her telling them that she was pregnant they told her she had to be at a certain percent or they would can her, and since she didnt make it they let her go today

she was never given a write up or anything like that for any reason
        She needs to get a Good labor Attorney then...

Comment

Originally posted by robert View Post
          She needs to get a Good labor Attorney then...
          do you really think she has a case? i mean they can always come back with well you didnt meat your monthly budget so your work was unsatisfactory.. or do they have to actually write you up first and all that crap?

they did tell her they would not fight her for the unemployment but damn thats not what we are worried about, we are worried about the insurance

also there are 2 other pregnant girls at the office, one just had the baby and the other one is due in May

Comment

do you really think she has a case? i mean they can always come back with well you didnt meat your monthly budget so your work was unsatisfactory.. or do they have to actually write you up first and all that crap?

they did tell her they would not fight her for the unemployment but damn thats not what we are worried about, we are worried about the insurance

also there are 2 other pregnant girls at the office, one just had the baby and the other one is due in May
            I would look into it with a good Attorney,
            this does not sound right ..
            Each big Company I have worked with always keeps training employees
            on many discrimination Scenarios, this is one of them....

Comment

yeah her mom and step dad are saying she might have a case but lets say she wins the case what now, will she be able to still get unemployment? i would not want to work for a company that fired me and then i sued them, they would make the job a living hell

anyone know of a lawyer?

Comment

yeah her mom and step dad are saying she might have a case but lets say she wins the case what now, will she be able to still get unemployment? i would not want to work for a company that fired me and then i sued them, they would make the job a living hell
                Probably not, a good attorney will advise how to procede
                and what results can occurr if case get's to court.
                I'm new in the area so can't recomend any attorneys here.. G/L

Comment

Doesnt sound like they are firing her because she is pregnant at all. I personally dont think this is a case in which you can win. We live in Texas. They have a legitimate reason which they let her go and thats all they need. You and your lawyer will have to fabricate some proof to show they fired her because she is pregnant.

Dont know why Robert thinks you need a lawyer.

Businesses are struggling. If someone cant perform, why keep them on the books?

Comment

yeah i figured we would just do the unemployment thing for a while so she can be a stay at home mom then she can start looking for a new job after the baby, she wasnt happy there for a while and was thinking of looking around, atleast now she can get paid while looking for something else

Comment

yeah i figured we would just do the unemployment thing for a while so she can be a stay at home mom then she can start looking for a new job after the baby, she wasnt happy there for a while and was thinking of looking around, atleast now she can get paid while looking for something else
                      very unfortunate situation...but honestly dont think you have any grounds to file a suit. Im sure there are some crappy lawyers out there drooling at a case like this, but you said it yourself. She didnt meet the quota.

If she is due soon...check into Cobra. Its freakign expensive, but so are the medical bills associated with a baby.

Comment

It sounds like she was doing great, they thought she was doing great, she tells them shes pregnant, they create and unrealistic goal on purpose and can her when she doesn't hit it.

If that's what happened I'd get an attorney.
                        "You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch"

Comment

Originally posted by AdRock View Post
                          It sounds like she was doing great, they thought she was doing great, she tells them shes pregnant, they create and unrealistic goal on purpose and can her when she doesn't hit it.

If that's what happened I'd get an attorney.
                          well she has monthly goals that she has to reach every month in order to get to the 1.1 million dollars in sales she does every year, this number went up because of how good she did last year, last years goal was 900 thousand, so the first few days we had that inclement weather and then a Tuesday we had a doctors appointment for the baby and thats when they told her that if she didnt reach the certain percentage for the month that they would let her go, but the thing is that everyone in the sales department is had a bad month, nobody met their goals and some were at even lower percentage than her

Comment

Texas is an at will state. You will have to consider if it is worth your money to hire a lawyer to prove constructive discharge.

Comment

Being a right-to-work state, it's going to be tough to build a case unless they flat-out said "We're firing you because you're preggo."

Comment

Working...
                              X