No announcement yet.

Chiropractors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a fan. Mainly because I've never heard of a chiropractor who didn't need to you to make X visits per week for X weeks before you were okay. It is a great business model, lol.
    Originally posted by davbrucas
    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by Up0n0ne View Post
      LOL! If you say so! So I rode the Texas Titan or whatever that junkie wooden rollercoaster was and the next day I had a hard time breathing and couldn't take in a full breathe. That was like in 07' so his made up crap that was put into my head to cause me to develop mild hypochondria all of a sudden just triggered in my head and sent a signal to my ribs 4 years later...makes sense to me.
      I won't even get into the biological discussion of it. Ignorant people are much easier to fool.

You very well may have something wrong with you. "A rib going out" isn't it.

Comment

Well alright. I think i finally know what i want to do when i grow up and then my buddy brought this to my attention and noticed that (school-wise) im half way to becoming a chiropractor. I think ill try and stick with Physical Therapy
        .....bro....

Comment

I did have a couple of friends years ago who were going through the Parker College program. From what I remember, those guys were getting their asses handed to them in school.
          Originally posted by davbrucas
          I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
            I did have a couple of friends years ago who were going through the Parker College program. From what I remember, those guys were getting their asses handed to them in school.
            thats the school HE was telling me about
            .....bro....

Comment

I used to think they were quacks too. Here let me give you a back rub and I'll need to see you 3x a week for the next five years. I know some do use the assembly line process and some are ambulance chasers (just like some MD's, DO's and attorneys).

But I have a Chiropractor in Emory that I go to when I'm hurting so bad I can barely get out of bed or climb into/get out of my truck. He fixes the problem that MD's haven't been able to do more than throw pain-killers at for nearly ten years. And with this guy, when he's done he says 'come back as soon as you need to'. He's never wanted to see me more than twice in a row.

Comment

Every one I've know was a quack or crook....hell the last one I trusted ended up costing me about 2-years of horrendous pain and eventual extensive back surgery.

Here's something to think about....walk into one of those places and complain about some sort of pain, but then tell them you have no insurance and also that you haven't been in an auto accident (trust me, they will ALL ask)....and see how they respond.

Better yet...go see one with no problems at all, but tell them you have some occasional back pain following a recent accident, and let them 'diagnose' you....you'll be amazed at all the shit they suddenly come up with that's wrong with your spine, etc.
                70' Chevelle RagTop
                (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Originally posted by exlude View Post
                  I won't even get into the biological discussion of it. Ignorant people are much easier to fool.

You very well may have something wrong with you. "A rib going out" isn't it.
                  I did a quick search and found this, I called it a "rib going out", guess it descibed as a slipped rib or floating rib pain. If this isn't it, any ideas what "it" could be?
                  And I found the definition of hypochondria to be.
                  1:excessive preoccupation with one's health, usually focusing on some particular symptom, as cardiac or gastric problems.
                  2:excessive worry or talk about one's health.

I'm not worried about my health, the OP ask about chiropractors and I replied with my experience with the guy I go to. How does that calculate into my chiropractor somehow playing some mind trick on me making me think I have mild hypochondria is kinda retarded.

Anyway back to my "rib going out" thing.

Floating Rib Pain:

The term “floating rib” is used to refer to a specific anatomical structure and to a disorder which could better be termed a “slipped rib.” Both, as one might imagine from the name, involve the ribs, curved bones found in vertebrates. The ribs are attached to the spine and a structure called the sternum, creating the rib cage, a protective casing for vital organs such as the heart and lungs.

In the case of an anatomical structure, a floating rib is a rib which is attached to the spine, but not the sternum. Most people have floating ribs, with the 11th and 12th pairs of ribs being floating ribs. In some people, there are three pairs instead of two, and other individuals only develop one set of floating ribs. Floating ribs are entirely normal and nothing to be concerned about, and although they are not attached to the sternum, they aren't exactly floating around in the body cavity; numerous attachments usually keep the floating ribs more or less in place
                  The function of the floating ribs is not fully understood. A floating rib could theoretically provide some protection to the contents of the abdominal cavity, but it isn't as necessary as the ribs which are attached to the sternum. Evidence suggests that people have also been able to train their floating ribs into new positions, as seen in women who wear corsets for a prolonged period of time.

The disorder sometimes referred to as floating rib syndrome and better known as slipped rib syndrome occurs when a rib becomes dislocated, slipping out of its socket. Patients tend to experience considerable pain with this condition, which is usually a result of trauma, and it can be readily identified with a physical examination or medical imaging study of the area of interest. As with other rib injuries, the best treatment is usually partial immobilization, achieved by wrapping the ribcage tightly so that the rib cannot drift while it heals, but not so tightly that it cannot expand as the patient breathes.

These ribs can slip out of position, putting pressure on internal organs, and they can also be broken as a result of trauma, causing considerable pain and putting the patient at risk for infection. The disorder sometimes referred to as floating rib syndrome and better known as slipped rib syndrome occurs when a rib becomes dislocated, slipping out of its socket.
                  Last edited by Up0n0ne; 02-23-2011, 11:02 PM.
                  2 Chronicles 7:14
                  If My people, which are called by My name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Comment

By hypochondria I was referring to having you believe something is wrong when it really isn't. Some hypochondriacs believe so deeply that something is wrong with them that they can exhibit symptoms of an actual disease.

A slipped rib is much more likely. What needs to be done is when you feel such pain, visit a real doc who can tell you if the rib has shifted and if it's causing any internal damage. Not have a quack push it back in place. Real chiropractors should typically be affiliated with an MD, have access to X-rays, an deal more exclusively with spinal issues.

Comment

Originally posted by exlude View Post
                      By hypochondria I was referring to having you believe something is wrong when it really isn't. Some hypochondriacs believe so deeply that something is wrong with them that they can exhibit symptoms of an actual disease.

A slipped rib is much more likely. What needs to be done is when you feel such pain, visit a real doc who can tell you if the rib has shifted and if it's causing any internal damage. Not have a quack push it back in place. Real chiropractors should typically be affiliated with an MD, have access to X-rays, an deal more exclusively with spinal issues.
                      My chiropractor has a Dr. in front of his name, does that count? All I know is it's only happened twice, and he hasn't tryed to make me believe anything and I never have had to make another appt. He also has x-ray equipt. if that matters. I can tell when my shoulder's acting up and when that happens I just call.
                      I've been to "real" dr. for my shoulder, I think I got 5-6 shots within 6months and than had surgery, did rehab, which all of it you can do at home. Then instead of the orthopedic knowing that I needed the tendons, ligaments, & scar tissue worked out, he gave me about 3 more shots within 3 months and said I would have to live with the pain.
                      Rehab doesn't straighten and work out the tendons, ligaments, & scar tissue, a sports chiropractor (atleast mine) does.
                      There may be a dif. between regular chiro's and sports & spine chiro's, all I know is the normal junk you hear about chiro's, doesn't hold true to the chiro I go to. Not all of them just want to crack your back, take your money, and feed you a line to get you to come back.
                      2 Chronicles 7:14
                      If My people, which are called by My name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Comment

Talk to any pain medicine doctor, or spine/neuro surgeon, and ask them how many of their patients went to a Chiro first.
                        The regular X amount of treatments per week are so you never recover from their shit and realize you are still in pain, or worse off then you were before you started.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
                          Talk to any pain medicine doctor, or spine/neuro surgeon, and ask them how many of their patients went to a Chiro first.
                          The regular X amount of treatments per week are so you never recover from their shit and realize you are still in pain, or worse off then you were before you started.
                          That's like saying "ask any respiratory doctor how many of their patients took Mucinex before they found out that they had Bronchitis or worse".

Comment

I've been going to the same chiropractor since I was about 5. I guess there are some quaks out there which is why they sometimes get a bad rap. However, in my experiences it is some of the best money I have spent when I was in pain.

When I was 5 there was not a "regular doctor" that could figure out what was wrong with me. I was constantly having a runny nose and nasal problems. All they did was give me a bunch of pills to take that my mom had to put in my cereal every morning just to dry me up. Finally my mom takes me to the chiropractor and after getting adjusted my runny nose stopped. So as far as I'm concerned there is no real reason to believe a "real doctor" is the second coming of Christ and the only ones that can diagnose and fix certain ailments. Hell all they were doing with me was treating the symptom and not the problem and pumping my parents insurance for visits and Rx.

I have had stuff out of whack before back when I played football in high school that would give me so much pain that I had to roll out of bed and off of the couch. I could hardly sit up. I'd go to the chiropractor and would feel relief by they time I was walking out of the door if not sooner.

As for the comments about chiros asking you to come back multiple times a week. That all has to do with how long you have gone without treatment. If you wait too long then your ligaments and tendons dehydrate making them more like a piece of leather rather than a rubber band. If you go in for one treatment and call it good you will most likely see minimal results because the muscles that have been over compensating for what you skeletal structure should have been doing will pull you back out of alignment. You have to continue treatment until your ligaments and tendons can rehydrate and operate as they should.

Hope that helps.

Comment

One other thing. They are most definitely real doctors. They receive a Doctorate of Chiropractic degree.

Comment

Originally posted by BLK306 View Post
                                One other thing. They are most definitely real doctors. They receive a Doctorate of Chiropractic degree.

http://www.american-wellness-care.co...al_doctors.htm
                                So would you let someone with a PhD in History address your medical issues? They are real doctors too.

Comment

Working...
                                X