Anyone used or have COBRA insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone used or have COBRA insurance?

Does anyone have or have used COBRA insurance? I had Blue Cross Blue Shield but no longer work there and I am trying to find out if it's a good swap until I find another job or just take private insurance myself.

I haven't had to use it but I hear it's expensive.

Comment

You can sign up whenever you need it - don't sign up if you aren't going to use it.
      Originally posted by davbrucas
      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Cobra is available to you for 6mo (at least when I had to use it) after you end employment with previous job. It can also be back dated which is how I used it when I had to. I didn't pay for it until I needed it them had to back date.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
          You can sign up whenever you need it - don't sign up if you aren't going to use it.
          I have some significant health issues and want to make sure I don't have a lapse or I'm afraid who ever I switch to won't cover them. I am trying to be proactive to make sure it doesn't lapse or I might be in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
            Cobra is available to you for 6mo (at least when I had to use it) after you end employment with previous job. It can also be back dated which is how I used it when I had to. I didn't pay for it until I needed it them had to back date.
            I am reading through the web site but I have the retention of a rock sometimes. I will go back and see if I can find that. Thank you that would great if it worked like that.

Comment

From my understanding from what I was told by HR after I was laid off was, it is basically you being able to keep the insurance you had with the employer, except you have to pay the full premium (yours and the part your employer was paying). In my case, I was paying $600/month for my family when employed, but then was going to have to pay $600+$1200=$1800/month. I didn't confirm what they were saying since I had no intention of paying that much.

Comment

I assume the advantage to COBRA is that you can retain a group rate premium which should be less than the rate for an individual buying the same coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                  I assume the advantage to COBRA is that you can retain a group rate premium which should be less than the rate for an individual buying the same coverage.
                  You also can wait 60 days before deciding whether to keep it or not, then 45 additional days to pay the past premiums. So if something does happen you have 105 days before having to pay anything for coverage. Or if you never need the insurance just don't pay anything.

Comment

Originally posted by kobuzz View Post
                    I have some significant health issues and want to make sure I don't have a lapse or I'm afraid who ever I switch to won't cover them. I am trying to be proactive to make sure it doesn't lapse or I might be in trouble.
                    Keep in mind that under Obamacare they cannot deny you due to pre-existing condition. Assuming that's why you want to avoid a gap.

Comment

I retired a year (age 64) early to take care of my wife when her medical problems turned for the worse. She had "significant" medical problems. We didn't notice any difference in coverage (worked for TI/Raytheon then) except for the huge premiums. Since the time paid was about 10 months, I was happy to keep the coverage and bear the premium increase.
                      Mustangs previously owned:
                      1967 Coupe V8 (My first car)
                      1992 LX AOD
                      1993 LX Drag Car
                      1995 GTS
                      1997 Cobra
                      2000 Cobra R

2002 Corvette C5 A4 10.64@ 127.1
                      Undercover SC Dragster 8.10's

In the garage now....
                      2016 Honda Accord Touring
                      2015 F-150 Silver 5.0 XLT SuperCrew, like new condition

Retired 2008 after 41 years as an EE at LTV (Garland)/TI/Raytheon. Enjoying ham radio now.

Comment

Working...
                      X