Big tool companies and repossession.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
    I have some harbor freight stuff including their tile saw, air compressor, brad nailer, etc. They are all solid. The tile saw has been through 10+ bath remodels and 3 kitchen remodels.
    I think it is a crap shoot really, just like my impact. However, usually once your stuff does crap out and you go by name brand stuff, you can generally tell a difference in quality. I noticed recently when replacing 2 year old sanders and grinders with Dewalt stuff. My dad has had craftsman stuff that he bought 30 years ago still working. He beat that shit like a mule building street rods. I have been burned enough by Harbor Freight I won't be back. I do wish I had a northern tool closer,they are even a lot better than HF in most cases.
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
      I mean why the hell did they ask for my phone number?
      I never give my phone number to any company who is asking at the cash register. I did it a time or two a couple of years ago, thinking it may be needed in case I needed to return something. The spam calls haven't stopped since then.

Even if they're not selling the numbers, (which they probably are) you can read about all the times they've been hacked. Could be what happened to me. Their security is almost always lax and the hackers just get all the emails and phone numbers they want.

As for snap on being a gimmick, they're really not. They're just for people who are going to use their tools day in and day out. They're hardened as fuck. Weight that will bend other wrenches in half won't make a snap on wrench even bow a little. They fit better, and in many cases you can see the thought process that went into their design for ease of use on the job they were intended to be used for. Just my experience with them. But I doubt this is limited to snap on. You've also got the other high end brands like Proto, matco, mack, SK, armstrong... the list goes on.
      Last edited by Gasser64; 12-20-2017, 02:38 PM.
      WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
        I never give my phone number to any company who is asking at the cash register. I did it a time or two a couple of years ago, thinking it may be needed in case I needed to return something. The spam calls haven't stopped since then.

Even if they're not selling the numbers, (which they probably are) you can read about all the times they've been hacked. Could be what happened to me. Their security is almost always lax and the hackers just get all the emails and phone numbers they want.
        I may be wrong, but my more computer savvy buddy told me about another bs deal the other day, after I inquired about it. I always noticed in the past I was getting signed up for random emails from companies I had visited on the web. I never gave it two thoughts about clicking the yes to "this company wants to know your location". Just thought it was for mapping purposes in reference to my purchase. Now I think it subscribes me to their site. I have quit clicking yes and have noticed no more spam from random places.
        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I may be wrong, but my more computer savvy buddy told me about another bs deal the other day, after I inquired about it. I always noticed in the past I was getting signed up for random emails from companies I had visited on the web. I never gave it two thoughts about clicking the yes to "this company wants to know your location". Just thought it was for mapping purposes in reference to my purchase. Now I think it subscribes me to their site. I have quit clicking yes and have noticed no more spam from random places.

Yeah its basically this these days: Don't give any of them anything at all. That you don't know for a fact they absolutely have to have in order to be able to serve you. They've all gone into hyper aggressive advertising mode.
          WH

Comment

HF is very hit or miss. Some things are fine, others are pure shit.

I like Craftsman stuff and have had good luck with some of the Kobalt stuff that Lowe's sells. Snap on equipment is great but the prices even for used are high as fuck. I'd love to have a lot of Snap On tools but I am not spending that much when Craftsman does 99% of what a Snap On tool does.
            Originally posted by racrguy
            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
            Originally posted by racrguy
            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dad View Post
              The tool guy I delt with in Fort Worth .. Bob Conner

slick as a old catfish , I liked him , never did me wrong but ..

if you even moved to new location without telling him , he would come after you, tools and box ..no matter what

he did it all the time , made sure I kept him paid in full, always

I used to live around the corner from Bob. Small world. I would think if the amount is enough someone would be sued in small claims court.

The old lady ran up her Capital One card and they sued for the balance.

Comment

I'll ease that stress from your mind and I'll buy it for 1/4 of what you paid. It'll be a couple miles farther away than where they'll look and you won't need to stress anymore!

#WinWin!

Comment

Harbor freight is trash. Good for one use and dispose of. The only thing that I ever bought from them worth a flip was my electric impact shockingly enough. I only bought it to try one and see if I liked it. Bastard won't die. Their electrical connectors suck, impacts sockets break, tape is crap. Hell even their zip ties are terrible.

I bough a right angle drill two weeks ago. Threw away my receipt since I figured it would work for the two holes I needed. Tried to use it two days later and it stripped out on the first hole. Took it back and bitch said no receipt no dice. I mean why the hell did they ask for my phone number? I know better but thought two holes is all I need.

Yep I have very rarely broke anything from Craftsman and it was always free replacements no questions. Surprisingly Husky tools are fairly well built also I have noticed. Snap on is crazy money but they do make some nice stuff.
                  I have a bunch of Husky tools and they seem to hold up well but Home Depot can be kind of a bitch when you try and exchange something that has broken. Instead of exchanging it at the store they want you to send it in to Husky. I had a 1/2 impact gun take a shit once and took it back into the store. I still had the original box that that had the warranty printed on the side. It said for any reason you could bring it back in and exchange the tool. The cashier at returns said no I would need to send it in to Husky. I had her call the manager and showed him what the box said and walk out with a new one.

Comment

This thread got me thinking last night. I'm in the market for a used Skid steer. None of that stuff come with titles. How the hell can I be sure there is no lien on these machines unless I buy from a dealer ? (at least with a dealer, i'd have someone to chase if it goes south).. There's one on craigs that I want to call on today, now I'm not so sure..

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                      HF is very hit or miss. Some things are fine, others are pure shit.

I like Craftsman stuff and have had good luck with some of the Kobalt stuff that Lowe's sells. Snap on equipment is great but the prices even for used are high as fuck. I'd love to have a lot of Snap On tools but I am not spending that much when Craftsman does 99% of what a Snap On tool does.
                      My thoughts as well. We only have a Lowes near our home and Kobalt hand tools seem as good as Craftsmen use to be. We actually have a smll Sears but their shelves are half empty and prices suck now. I have all Ryobi power tools from Home Depot and they do the job around the house just fine for me, though there is a noticeable difference in quality between them and thr Dewalt and Makita tools we use at work. I buy small stuff from Harbor Freight now and then and it is hit or miss, however I have never bought anything I had to plug in from them.
                      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                        This thread got me thinking last night. I'm in the market for a used Skid steer. None of that stuff come with titles. How the hell can I be sure there is no lien on these machines unless I buy from a dealer ? (at least with a dealer, i'd have someone to chase if it goes south).. There's one on craigs that I want to call on today, now I'm not so sure..
                        You can not really tell. Your best bet is to research the seller to see if they are above board and to check with the manufacture. That is not 100 percent though. To quote Mike Mike Ehrmantrau; "I've known good criminals and bad cops, bad priests, honorable thieves; you can be on one side of the law or the other, but if you make a deal with somebody, you keep your word".

A lot of equipment manufactures also like to marry a name to a serial number and will not sell you parts if you can not prove ownership or know the name they have on file. This is what I ran into with a Bobcat.

Edit: The adage "Possession is 9/10s of the law" also comes to my mind.
                        Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 12-23-2017, 09:41 AM.
                        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                          Not sure that it would ever help but I get a bill of sale with serial numbers and driver license numbers and address.
                          2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Working...
                          X