Anyone fished/camped at Purtis Creek?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone fished/camped at Purtis Creek?

heading out there next week for the 1st time, just wondered if there were any places in particular to check out on the lake or anything special about the campgrounds themselves. i know it's idle only, but i've got a little pond boat and 3hp motor so speeding won't be an issue, lol.

fishing for bass and crappie
    Justin

The wife and I fish and camp there several times a year. Goldfish is a good bait for the bass which is catch and release only. Bluegill bite constantly around the dam wall. Oh and flat bottom boats suck on that lake due to unseen stumps under the water line. Stuck on one for over an hour in the middle of the night. Oh and watch the lengths and limits, they are different than other lakes. Cool thing is no fishing liscense required because its a state park.

Comment

It's a nice little lake. Basically as soon as you unload just start working the the tree's strait across the boat ramp and work your way all the way to the island in the back.

In the middle of the lake towards the back is a big tree, work the area of stumps about 100 yards in front of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Name Here View Post
        The wife and I fish and camp there several times a year. Goldfish is a good bait for the bass which is catch and release only. Bluegill bite constantly around the dam wall. Oh and flat bottom boats suck on that lake due to unseen stumps under the water line. Stuck on one for over an hour in the middle of the night. Oh and watch the lengths and limits, they are different than other lakes. Cool thing is no fishing liscense required because its a state park.
        travis?
        95 Rio Red Cobra#3881

http://www.bborr.com/2013/2013results.html#115

Comment

Originally posted by openroadracer View Post
          travis?
          The one and only

Comment

Originally posted by slow55 View Post
            It's a nice little lake. Basically as soon as you unload just start working the the tree's strait across the boat ramp and work your way all the way to the island in the back.

In the middle of the lake towards the back is a big tree, work the area of stumps about 100 yards in front of it.
            Pretty much what we would do when I used to go there in college. A friend of mine had an 8ft bass raider with 2 trolling motors and we used to murder the bass out at Purtis. Fishing for perch on the dam at night was pretty good to, especially with a 6 pack.

Comment

That lake gets beat up pretty bad. Theres better places to go. If you dont mind going without a a campground then find you a spot on cypress springs or monticello.

Comment

If it is like most Texas state parks, they do not allow consumption of alcohol in the park, or at least no open containers.

Stevo
                Originally posted by SSMAN
                ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Been there a few times. Are you getting the campsite with power/water hookups or the primitive campsites in the woods? The primitive campsites are about a mile and a half trek into the woods but are cool. They are all right on the lake instead of on a paved road. The fishing is good. Goldfish seems to be the bait of choice out there.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                    If it is like most Texas state parks, they do not allow consumption of alcohol in the park, or at least no open containers.

Stevo
                    Thats why make solo cups. Just put the cap back on the bottle after your fill the cup.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post

Stevo
                      As long as you are respectful and not being loud they won't mess with you. I usually just put a koozie over the can and have never had an issue in a state park.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Name Here View Post
                        The one and only
                        damn man, good to see you are still among the living.
                        95 Rio Red Cobra#3881

http://www.bborr.com/2013/2013results.html#115

Comment

Originally posted by slow55 View Post

That's what we used to do too. Man I haven't been out there in YEARS!!! That was one of my Grandad's favorite places to fish.
                          92 LX 5.0

Comment

Alot of old timers go there. Hit the dock by the bait shop. If you don't see the oldies with a stringer full, don't waste your time. The cove in the back near the campsites is nice & quiet. We always had good luck with catfish in that spot. Perch & bass bite all over that lake. Only had 1 time out of 20 that was a bust.

Comment

cool, thanks guys. hopefully things go good, i've been getting cabin fever lately.
                              Justin

Comment

Working...
                              X