Police Ride Along Programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Ride Along Programs

I've been wanting to go do one of these and figured this would be a decent place to ask since there are officers on the board. I have one close friend who is with Sacshe PD and he said he would check to see when I might be able to go. Would there be any reason I wouldn't be allowed to go such as prior arrests regardless of what it was and how long ago it was? I don't have any outstanding warrants or felony convictions. Is every department different when it comes to the requirements and policies regarding who is and isn't allowed to do the ride along?

PM treadhead
    "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
      PM treadhead
      Will do.

Wouldn't mind seeing some actual info though. Other people might be curious about it and I would like to hear from others that arent necessarily LEO's.

Comment

i went on one with the ellis county game warden. i called his personal cell phone (he was a brother of a friend) and he told me to meet him at the sheriff's office. i showed up, and when he finally got there, i hoped in his truck and we went trolling around waxahachie lake. no information needed. it may be different with cities...
        Originally posted by 56482
        only on DFWMUstangs...

Comment

Carl said something about signing some waiver last I talked to him. Let me know how it turns out.

Comment

out here where i live, i had to fill out a waiver form with the DPS, then they did a background check. once that was done, i could ride whenever a trooper had an open seat. the sgt. even allowed me to carry as a CHL holder. it was pretty cool...

doing ridealongs will open your eyes to a lot of the things those guys potentially have to deal with. i have the utmost respect for LEOs because of it...

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
              Carl said something about signing some waiver last I talked to him. Let me know how it turns out.
              That's who is going to check in Sacshe for me. I just talked to him a couple hours ago. I'm in no hurry but don't want to bother trying if a previous arrest gets treated as if it's a conviction.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post

Damn i need to call Carl i wanna go/

Comment

Originally posted by TonyMCev View Post
                  out here where i live, i had to fill out a waiver form with the DPS, then they did a background check. once that was done, i could ride whenever a trooper had an open seat. the sgt. even allowed me to carry as a CHL holder. it was pretty cool...

doing ridealongs will open your eyes to a lot of the things those guys potentially have to deal with. i have the utmost respect for LEOs because of it...
                  That's what I want to accomplish, see how things work from the other side but not necessarily from the back seat. I don't have a CHL so I'm not even worried about carrying yet.

Comment

Can I do a ride along if I have a felony warrant?

I kid i kid
                    Check your self bro , you're not that cool.

Comment

Originally posted by paul_376 View Post
                      Can I do a ride along if I have a felony warrant?

I kid i kid
                      Absolutely. Just not in the front seat.

-Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by 94StangFiveO View Post
                        That's who is going to check in Sacshe for me. I just talked to him a couple hours ago. I'm in no hurry but don't want to bother trying if a previous arrest gets treated as if it's a conviction.
                        I figured. that's why I said to let me know how it works out. I think it'd be interesting.

Comment

It's going to depend on the dept. Some depts might not care, some depts may have you sign a waiver and run a criminal background check. Someone said DPS does that, but they tend to be pretty by the book on a lot of things.

Generally I don't think prior arrests are a problem.

I'm curious though, why are you wanting to ride a long? If you just want to go for shits and giggles I guess it wouldn't matter what dept you go with. If you're contemplating this as a career, I'd recommend riding with a couple of agencies. Some smaller cities may not have an active call volume as compared to FWPD or DPD. The bigger cities are generally going to have a more active/diverse set of calls. Just don't go ride DPD in like the fru fru parts of North Dallas, that won't be very beneficial to you.

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
                            It's going to depend on the dept. Some depts might not care, some depts may have you sign a waiver and run a criminal background check. Someone said DPS does that, but they tend to be pretty by the book on a lot of things.

Generally I don't think prior arrests are a problem.

I'm curious though, why are you wanting to ride a long? If you just want to go for shits and giggles I guess it wouldn't matter what dept you go with. If you're contemplating this as a career, I'd recommend riding with a couple of agencies. Some smaller cities may not have an active call volume as compared to FWPD or DPD. The bigger cities are generally going to have a more active/diverse set of calls. Just don't go ride DPD in like the fru fru parts of North Dallas, that won't be very beneficial to you.
                            I wouldn't be able to do it as a career so that's out of the question. I really want to see how it operates from a perspective other than being the guy in handcuffs in the back seat. That's not fun just sitting there on the way to the station listening to the radio. I want to see how it works for traffic stops, domestic calls or whatever may happen. I've always been fascinated with law enforcement, military, etc. Kind of like getting to see how the military works and how they live but without putting your ass on the line.

Plus, you're right, I think it'd be fun to ride around with my friend in his car one day/night out on patrol.

Comment

I've done them w/Garland PD since my cousin is a cop there. Definitely some interesting things you get to be apart of.

Comment

Working...
                              X