Deceased bank account issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deceased bank account issue

So last month my father passed away due to an accident with his Parkinson's. Well, during the last few months he was here, he had a couple of oddball relationships were they would take advantage of him, even though he only was getting social security checks. He ended up changing banks because of a joint account with one of these people and didn't want to continue it. So he moved his money from his Chase account and opened a Well's Fargo account. Well, at Chase he had me, the eldest son, as a main beneficiary to the account. In haste, he switched his account and didn't put anyone as a beneficiary or power of attorney in the account. I was originally told that I would for sure need a death certificate before anything, but had to pay for services before I can get a death certificate. I went to Wells Fargo again with the certificate and I'm told I need to go to the Court house to get "Something." He told me they would know what to do when I get there.

Basically, where do I need to go, to get that "something." Also, I am the person who is next of kin on the death certificate. I'd like to know before potentially wasting a day.

You need "Letters Testamentary" designating you as the executor of his estate.

mardyn

Comment

Are you the sole heir to the estate?

If the estate is under a certain amount, you can file a small estate affidavit.

But you are most likely going to need Letters Testamentary.

Comment

I'd punch that fuckhead in the nuts. He didn't know wtf you needed to get other than "something"? What an assclown.

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
          I'd punch that fuckhead in the nuts. He didn't know wtf you needed to get other than "something"? What an assclown.
          This. I can't stand poor service.

Comment

Do I need an attorney to do this?

Comment

Originally posted by KOZMO View Post
              As long as you're listed as the sole executor in his will you can take the death cert down with it and they court will issue it to you without having an attorney.

Comment

That's the problem, I don't believe he ever made a will.

Comment

You'll probably have to then go to Probate court so you can be listed as the official executor of your father's estate.

Comment

No. You can go to the law library.

I would go see EXACTLY what Wells needs before you get started though.

Also, start adding up his assets so you know whether you can file a small estate affidavit or not.

Comment

That's the problem, I don't believe he ever made a will.
                      Probate court will most likely allow you to be appointed executor if he died intestate and you're the next of kin for a smaller estate. Just call the court on Tuesday morning and let them tell you exactly what they want.

Edit: Looks like I was a few seconds late!

Comment

Originally posted by sc281 View Post
                        This. I can't stand poor service.
                        Seems Wells Fargo has gone downhill in that department in recent times.

I asked to talk to a supervisor last time I talked to a WF rep and got "there's no one here that can talk to you" as the response. I said "what about the guy that just came by and asked you if had been productive today?" The bitch hung up on me.
                        كافر

Originally posted by sc281
                        Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
                        Originally posted by Trick Pony
                        ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Comment

I was originally told that I would for sure need a death certificate before anything, but had to pay for services before I can get a death certificate.
                          You might want to check and see if this is the actual case, because when my mom passed, they allowed everyone to get a death certificate even before the services were paid, and they allowed any of the family members to do it, it was only a $25 charge for each copy. If the funeral home was so chicken-shit to do that and it is indeed not legal, they need to be reported to the state.

As far as the bank account, all we had to do was show a death certificate to the bank.

Stevo
                          Originally posted by SSMAN
                          ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Listen to whatever sc281 says.
                            Originally posted by davbrucas
                            I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I will see what I can do on Friday

Comment

Working...
                              X