Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

13 dead, 2 injured in head on collision.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think for a single second that a law against texting and driving would have changed this kids day. It's been illegal as long as I've been here, and people are on their phones all the time. I've got a friend who admits to getting several tickets for texting behind the wheel.

Comment

Looks like the 5.0 had a lot of time to respond.

Quote:
      Uvalde police Lt. Daniel Rodriguez said that a man called about 12:02 p.m. Wednesday to report the swerving truck heading north on U.S. 83 and to ask deputies to respond. Deputies were dispatched, but Rodriguez says the same caller called back about 12:30 p.m. to say the truck had been in a collision, the report said.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Comment

Nope. Done my share of stupid but have never driven like that.
        Originally posted by Fastback View Post
        Jack Dillon Young is a 20 year old. If ever there was a time in life to act an ass, it's when you're 20. Everybody here is guilty of the same shitty driving at some point. It's freaking tragic. Anyway he's just a kid who most certainly not kill himself.

Comment

For perspective, the death toll is higher than that of a nail-filled pipe bomb going off on a crowded subway, not even including the suicide bomber.

There's young and dumb, and this is a few solar systems over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Comment

If I am 70 or 80 years old and some dumbass 20 year old takes me out in a moment of stupid driving, none of you should tell him to kill himself. That situation would just be karma coming back for me because I have done much worse than this kid was doing in the video, I just got away with it.
            Originally posted by racrguy
            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
            Originally posted by racrguy
            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Fastback View Post
              Looks like the 5.0 had a lot of time to respond.

Quote:
              Uvalde police Lt. Daniel Rodriguez said that a man called about 12:02 p.m. Wednesday to report the swerving truck heading north on U.S. 83 and to ask deputies to respond. Deputies were dispatched, but Rodriguez says the same caller called back about 12:30 p.m. to say the truck had been in a collision, the report said.

Have you ever driven that road or any of the roads around there? Its very rural and cops aren't usually sitting around out there in BFE other than the occasional DPS cruiser that rolls thru the area.

Comment

Yes. Funny. I tried to type helluva and it autocorrects to hell Uvalde! I floated the Frio a few times, hiked in Garner. Concan is a great place to kick it in the sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                  Have you ever driven that road or any of the roads around there? Its very rural and cops aren't usually sitting around out there in BFE other than the occasional DPS cruiser that rolls thru the area.
                  Meant to quote you. See above. I was saying its a 'helluva' drive from dfw. Fwiw, I'm not blaming law enforcement for failing to bust the guy. Just an observation that he was driving like an ass for a fair bit before the bitter end.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                    And the law coming a little too late:
                    https://www.texastribune.org/2017/03...xting-driving/
                    I don't want to be a colossal asshole here, but let's be real. Do you think a law like this would've done ANYTHING to prevent this accident? Not staying in your lane is already illegal. Following too closely is already illegal (almost rearending the dump truck)

All this law is designed to do is to give another excuse to bilk money out of people.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                      I don't want to be a colossal asshole here, but let's be real. Do you think a law like this would've done ANYTHING to prevent this accident? Not staying in your lane is already illegal. Following too closely is already illegal (almost rearending the dump truck)

All this law is designed to do is to give another excuse to bilk money out of people.
                      You're not being an asshole...you're absolutely 1000% correct. There are laws all over the country already in place about texting and playing with phones and other things while driving...they are unenforceable about 95% of the time. Unfortunately unless technology is invented where the phone can determine it's being operated by the DRIVER (and not passengers) and automatically disable itself...these accidents will continue to happen.

Comment

I struggle a lot with the idea of texting / cell phone bans.. I was always 100% against them but over the last year or so, I've been thinking about how I wish they would go ahead and do it. It's getting really bad..

Then I remember that the only time that will really make a difference is if a cop is visible. And I will likely be even more pissed that people continue to have their face glued to the phone while driving if / when made illegal..

It's coming, I have no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                          For perspective, the death toll is higher than that of a nail-filled pipe bomb going off on a crowded subway, not even including the suicide bomber.

There's young and dumb, and this is a few solar systems over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
                          Applies to Russia too.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                            Exactly, I've spent several weekends hunting to the east of there, on top of it being rural it seems like half the people that work the ranches drive about like that guy on the smaller roads.

Comment

I don't see how a text/driving ban would be enforceable to a degree to actually make a difference. All of the drivers I see doing it keep their phone down low. The only way I can tell is if I happen to catch their face in their mirrors, other than the obvious driving patterns. But would the LEO have to have solid proof? What kind of proof? Will they side with the officer's word or require video?

I agree though, it's getting outrageous. The thought that I have a daughter nearing driving age, with a cell phone, scares me.

Comment

I've said this year's and years ago. There needs to be a GPS speed activated soft switch that disables all visual media when GPS signal determines you are going over 20 mph.

Most adults won't go for this although because soo many people are dumb without their cell phones and have to completely rely on technology and not their brain.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X