Back issues, ruptured disc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back issues, ruptured disc

OK, I don't run or really do anything that would cause a back injury, outside of bending over turning wrenches or other home improvement, but here I am with an annular fissure in L5, which is putting pressure on the nerve endings in my right leg. I'm trim enough, 6'1" 195. Started in early December, major stiffness, major hitch in my giddy up, and has settled in to a tightness, some varying degrees of discomfort, but definitely not a normal stride most times. When it started, I couldn't raise up on my right leg (calf raises), now I can without issue.

My doc is an orthopedic surgeon, says 1/2 of the people heal on their own, 1/2 need the knife. I'm ever so gradually making improvements in how much I have to medicate to function. That's the kicker, functioning, and clarity. I will never turn down a miller lite after hours, and I don't smoke left handed ciggies, to give you an idea of what constitutes a buzz/good time and what doesn't, but I can't handle the prospect of being quasi faded by a super-strong anti-inflammatory (etodolac). He wants me to heal, doesn't want to cut on me.

Doc has me prescribed to 3 things for different reasons on this issue. A muscle relaxer, hydrocodone, and the etodolac (anti inflammatory). Originally, I'd take the etodolac (400mg) at 6am, noon, and 5 pm, and I wouldn't have the irritability that comes with the pain from this deal. At night, I'd take a hydrocodone and one or two muscle relaxers. Doc said two would make me drowsy, and I get my best sleep with two. Anything short of two and I wake up at 3am and toss around trying to find a comfortable position. Very hard to find. In the two months since I've had this cocktail, I've probably taken the two muscle relaxers at bed time 20 times. Taking the anti inflammatory on that schedule makes me sleepy, woozy and forgetful.

Lately, I can just get by with breaking one of the 400mg etodolacs in half, in the afternoon, and I'm ok. Limping a bit, but still very active and lucid.

I've had one epidural, supposed to get another this Friday.

All of my friends seem to have had some degree of major back pain, debilitating; I didn't realize how common it was.

For those of you who have similar issues, did you get surgery? Did you avoid surgery and you dodged a bullet because you stretch regularly to address this?
    Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Hang in there guy, hopefully you will get well w/o the knife.
    Took some time for me but it did get better.

Comment

Just had a guy at work get the knife. Out for two weeks. Ouch

Comment

Knife does not always mean it is fixed , I'd get more than one professional opinions on the matter before you do that .

Comment

No knife, I fucked my back up like yours the day after Halloween 2015, I was bed, sofa and bathroom locked for almost 2 months. It wasn't til late February that I was almost completely pain free. Ibuprofen @ 800ml was my only friend...
          Originally posted by Silverback
          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Stay away from surgery for as long as possible. Each surgery increases your chances for a re occurance by 30%.

Pick up "treat your own back" by Dr. Mckenzie on Amazon. It is about $8. Do the exercises religiously. Stay active, and maintain your core strength. I had Surgery in 2012 to fix L4/L5. I am grateful I had the surgery, but looking back, I wish I had more agressively researched my options.

I had a major relapse at the end of 2015. I couldn't walk upright, trouble sleeping, etc. My doc said I needed a second surgery. I got a second opinion. The new doc described it as a massive herniation. At that point I started researching alternative treatment methods and that is when I discovered the book. I attribute a lot of my current modility to those exercises. I have been primarily pain free for the better part of a year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
            Originally posted by Leah
            Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

I went to the Fondren Clinic yesterday in Houston for the exact same thing. Bent over to pick up something on the floor, POP. The disc is bulging at the smallest area where the nerve runs through. Same problems, my ass is killing me on the right side and i have a constant charlie horse feeling in the leg. My right foot is also going numb. He gave me hydrocodone and a steroid pack and I scheduled surgury because he said nothing is going to relieve the pressure on that nerve unless we go in and make room. I am willing to take that chance. I am completely crippled right now and cannot go to work. I can't live this way and I am very active outside of work.

My doctor said the longer I stay off work the better. I have all the insurance stuff at work and will stay home about 12 weeks. The surgery is a day surgery and I will go home the same day.

Comment

McKenzie exercises for sure. Don't do any hunching over... it provides temporary relief but cause more damage.

Do extension exercises and find a good active release chiropractor who gives you good mobility and strengthening exercises.

The extension exercises cause the vertebrae to act like a ratchet and pull the disc back in. I herniated 3 discs and it was the only relief I could get

Comment

Originally posted by JPM View Post
                  I went to the Fondren Clinic yesterday in Houston for the exact same thing. Bent over to pick up something on the floor, POP. The disc is bulging at the smallest area where the nerve runs through. Same problems, my ass is killing me on the right side and i have a constant charlie horse feeling in the leg. My right foot is also going numb. He gave me hydrocodone and a steroid pack and I scheduled surgury because he said nothing is going to relieve the pressure on that nerve unless we go in and make room. I am willing to take that chance. I am completely crippled right now and cannot go to work. I can't live this way and I am very active outside of work.

My doctor said the longer I stay off work the better. I have all the insurance stuff at work and will stay home about 12 weeks. The surgery is a day surgery and I will go home the same day.
                  Everyone feels like it will never b end but it will. Try and avoid surgery

Comment

L5-S1 here

Avoided surgery and avoided opiates like the plague as I've seen way to many people get addicted

I have always managed my pain with 800mg ibuprofen and the back decompression treatments are what really saved me from going under the knife

Get an inversion table and use it

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                      Pick up "treat your own back" by Dr. Mckenzie on Amazon. It is about $8. Do the exercises religiously. Stay active, and maintain your core strength.
                      The very first time I saw him, he gave me this book info, said to go get it, and I did. I do the stretches, not regularly enough though.

Originally posted by JPM View Post
                      I went to the Fondren Clinic yesterday in Houston for the exact same thing. Bent over to pick up something on the floor, POP. The disc is bulging at the smallest area where the nerve runs through. Same problems, my ass is killing me on the right side and i have a constant charlie horse feeling in the leg. My right foot is also going numb. He gave me hydrocodone and a steroid pack and I scheduled surgery because he said nothing is going to relieve the pressure on that nerve unless we go in and make room. I am willing to take that chance. I am completely crippled right now and cannot go to work. I can't live this way and I am very active outside of work.
                      This exactly describes the pain I started with. I hobbled and limped around, taking steroid packs, getting a cortisone shot (which was absolutely horrible immediately after, but gave me temporary relief for a few days). I'll get better and then plateau on improvement, holding pattern for a bit, then I notice a gradual increase in feeling better, needing meds less and less each day. Thankfully I don't have an addictive personality.

Originally posted by akfodysvn View Post
                      McKenzie exercises for sure. Don't do any hunching over... it provides temporary relief but cause more damage.

Do extension exercises and find a good active release chiropractor who gives you good mobility and strengthening exercises.

The extension exercises cause the vertebrae to act like a ratchet and pull the disc back in. I herniated 3 discs and it was the only relief I could get
                      I went to a physical therapist who helped me, taught me some good stretches and strengthening exercises.

One of my friends said after he recovered from the pain, he started doing Pilates, and while emasculating, it has provided a long term solution to strengthening his core.

Originally posted by black50 View Post
                      L5-S1 here

I have always managed my pain with 800mg ibuprofen and the back decompression treatments are what really saved me from going under the knife

Get an inversion table and use it
                      Thanks! I need to get another one. I had something less aggressive/disruptive happen a little higher up and hurt me on the left side earlier in the year ('16), inversion table and steroid pack took care of that one. I could walk, sit, sleep without issue, but I couldn't stand still. It was a pain that would eff me up if I had to stand still; grocery store checkouts were impossible.
                      Last edited by barronj; 03-14-2017, 07:32 AM.
                      Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                        Stay away from surgery for as long as possible. Each surgery increases your chances for a re occurance by 30%.

Pick up "treat your own back" by Dr. Mckenzie on Amazon. It is about $8. Do the exercises religiously. Stay active, and maintain your core strength. I had Surgery in 2012 to fix L4/L5. I am grateful I had the surgery, but looking back, I wish I had more agressively researched my options.

I had a major relapse at the end of 2015. I couldn't walk upright, trouble sleeping, etc. My doc said I needed a second surgery. I got a second opinion. The new doc described it as a massive herniation. At that point I started researching alternative treatment methods and that is when I discovered the book. I attribute a lot of my current modility to those exercises. I have been primarily pain free for the better part of a year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                        Originally posted by akfodysvn View Post

Both of these, and throw the hydrcodone in the trash. Through rehab (very important) and my Chiropractor I avoided surgery. My brother got the vertebrae shaving surgery and it helped him a lot but he still has the bulged disk and it will need attention later in life. Good luck brotha and do as many of the exercises you can with rehab. It is what got me better. i

Comment

Originally posted by barronj View Post
                          Thanks! I need to get another one. I had something less aggressive/disruptive happen a little higher up and hurt me on the left side earlier in the year ('16), inversion table and steroid pack took care of that one. I could walk, sit, sleep without issue, but I couldn't stand still. It was a pain that would eff me up if I had to stand still; grocery store checkouts were impossible.
                          sounds like me..I can work my ass off all day, lift, bend and walk no issues...but standing still for any length of time is absolute torture.

Comment

Originally posted by black50 View Post
                            sounds like me..I can work my ass off all day, lift, bend and walk no issues...but standing still for any length of time is absolute torture.
                            If I had to go to Home Depot and needed help in an aisle, I'd have to grab a Homer bucket and STF down while I waited for someone to show up.

Comment

Etodolac is causing drowsiness? If so, tell your doc and change to another NSAID--they generally don't cause that... muscle relaxers and hydrocodone will. As stated above try really hard to not take hydrocodone--doesn't matter if you have an 'addictive personality' or not--take it long enough and you will become hooked. What size is your disc herniation? Discs smaller that 8 mm usually will respond well to rest, NSAIDS, decompression treatments and maybe a couple of epidural steroid injections. Core strengthening is highly recommended with or without surgery. If it is a big disc (>10-12 mm) usually will require surgery. Do A LOT of checking on the surgeon who does your procedure. I usually prefer a fellowship trained orthopedic spine surgeon over a neurosurgeon for this type of problem.
                              Just send $40 to dr slingshot for the unsolicited medical advice...
                              '13 Porsche 911S, PDK, every Sport option, Aqua Blue

'13 King Ranch F150 S'Crew.

Comment

Working...
                              X