65 Mustang value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 Mustang value

I have never really had the inside scoop on the 60s model mustangs and their value so I'm hoping you guys can provide some insight.

I have a coworker who lost her husand recently. She has his 65 Mustang that appears to be a resto-mod project. The paint is fresh and looks good. The interior looks to be mostly present but it's hard to tell the condition because everything for the car looks to be piled inside. It's a black material and is not cloth. I can't tell if it's leather or vinyl but it appears to be clean and in at least good to decent shape. The engine appears to be pretty fresh. There are no leaks and doesn't appear to have been driven much. The chrome headers aren't even discolored.

I don't have any details on the engine/trans package yet but I would bet none of it is original. I'm told it runs and drives but just needs to be put back together. Clearly the car will fetch more money if it's all complete and put together. But do you guys have any idea what something like this might go for, and where would be the best place to try to sell it? I am working on getting photos. The car is currently located in Dallas near Deep Ellum.

Thanks everyone.

Coupe I'm assuming? Un known condition but running I would assume $5-6k.

Fastback is worth 3 times more than a coupe

Comment

Need more details and preferably pics to assign any value to it. There are just too many factors at play. It would be helpful to know how the car was originally equipped vs what's in it now. For instance, an A-code factory 4bbl carb with deluxe (pony) interior is going to fetch significantly more than a V8 swapped T-code.

Also, the biggest factor of all is going to be rust. Based on your description so far, the hope would be that any rust has been dealt with before paint, but that is often not the case.

So's you know, the interior is vinyl.

As far as best way to sell it, I'd start with Craigslist and test the waters that way.

Comment

I've given this one some more thought. I constantly scan Craigslist here and in surrounding states specifically for 65-66 Mustangs just for fun. You can find clean driver coupes, usually C-code 2 bbl cars listed from around 8-12k all day long. Very nice condition coupes that are more or less original are asking more like 15-18 and highly modified cars can range depending on how far out they are. For instance, a 5.0 cayote motor swap car is going to be asking somewhere north of 20k, assuming its running and driving and looks good.

I don't know what they're actually selling for, but if I was in the market for a coupe, I'm confident I could find a reasonably good condition V8 car that runs/drives/stops and has current tags for less than 10k. A car in this price range will likely need a little work, but nothing too major.

Curiously, there seem to be lots of I6 coupes in good shape and it's not uncommon for them to list at 10-12k. I guess someone is buying them, but I wouldn't put over 10k into a six banger personally.

As you mentioned earlier, since the car is in some state of disassembly, it's not going to go for nearly as much because it can't be test driven and you're limiting your buyer pool to people with access to a trailer. That's project status and my guess is unless there's something special about it (like a K-code and/or true GT, you're probably looking at less than 5k. How much less depends on the condition of what's there and how complete it is.

Comment

Some case study for you:

This car isn't perfect, but supposing that it's an original V8 car or has at least has been properly swapped with V8 suspension and brakes, not a bad deal and I bet you could pick it up for 9k or less. Put a set of wheels on it and fix some of the screwy decisions on the interior (white gauge bezel?) and you have a pretty nice car for not too much cash.

In contrast, this poor fool is dreaming and will be lucky to sell it for half what he's asking. Likely even less than that.

Comment

'Bout tree fiddy.

Comment

1965 Ford Mustang Options
              Oldride offering classic car classifieds, classic truck classifieds, old car classifieds, classic car part, classic truck part, classic car sales, buy classic car, old classic car.

63A = 2+2 Fastback
              65C = 2 Dr. Hardtop
              63B = 2+2 Fastback
              65A = 2 Dr. Hardtop
              65B = 2 Dr. Hardtop
              76A = Convertible
              76B = Convertible (Luxury Trim)
              76C = Convertible

289-cid/225-hp V-8
              289-cid/271-hp V-8 w/o GT Group
              289-cid/271-hp V-8 w/ GT Group
              Cruise-O-Matic Transmission (6-Cyl)

Comment

That list is incomplete or at least, confusing.

On the 63A, B, C stuff, the number is the body style, the letter is the interior code.

A - standard
                B - pony
                C - bench seat

Also, the engine codes aren't listed and the 'cruis-o-matic just means C4 auto and available for all but the 271hp Hi-Po. IIRC, C4 was available on the K code in 66. Lastly, the 200 hp C-code is left off.

T -200 I6
                C - 289, 200hp, 2bbl
                A - 289, 225hp, 4bbl
                K - 289, 271hp, 4bbl

Comment

Numbers matching!!!!
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                    Numbers matching!!!!
                    LOL, sorta.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                      LOL, sorta.
                      I cant stand a lot of the classic mustang guys. You'd think ford only made them in 64.5 and 66, some arbitrary vin code makes them either turn up their nose or try to pull down your zipper. They are stuck on some 'factory original' bullshit that means exactly dick on 90% of these cars, and they are slow, bad handling turds. But dont do anything to update this overdressed falcon to even mid eighties standards, or YU RIUN KLASIC!!!!!
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                        I cant stand a lot of the classic mustang guys. You'd think ford only made them in 64.5 and 66, some arbitrary vin code makes them either turn up their nose or try to pull down your zipper. They are stuck on some 'factory original' bullshit that means exactly dick on 90% of these cars, and they are slow, bad handling turds. But dont do anything to update this overdressed falcon to even mid eighties standards, or YU RIUN KLASIC!!!!!
                        It used to be WAY worse. Now that we're 25ish years into it, people understand that the restomod thing is here to stay. There's always going to be fussy old codgers (until they die out anyway), but they are not the force in the community they used to be.

For instance, I tried joining the VMF years ago and just couldn't hang. Too stuffy, too traditional. It's loosened up a lot in the last decade or so.

Even though my car is heavily modified, I still appreciate survivors and cars restored to original. The thing is, classic Mustangs have more room to play than most models because they made so many. Museums are already full of perfect originals. That leaves the rest of them for us to play with.

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm trying to get the photos sent to me now and will try to find out more as soon as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                            It used to be WAY worse. Now that we're 25ish years into it, people understand that the restomod thing is here to stay. There's always going to be fussy old codgers (until they die out anyway), but they are not the force in the community they used to be.

For instance, I tried joining the VMF years ago and just couldn't hang. Too stuffy, too traditional. It's loosened up a lot in the last decade or so.

Even though my car is heavily modified, I still appreciate survivors and cars restored to original. The thing is, classic Mustangs have more room to play than most models because they made so many. Museums are already full of perfect originals. That leaves the rest of them for us to play with.
                            HOW TRUE, never thought of that way of thinking but your sooo right.

OP got pic yet?

Comment

Originally posted by KJ94GT
                              I do have a few pictures now. Can we no longer upload here?
                              yeah, manage attachments.

Comment

Working...
                              X