Real estate guru's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real estate guru's

(TL: DR) bought distressed house, remodeled, have equity, what do we do.

We bought our house 3 years ago this May. We paid $62/ft for a distressed 3/2 on 1/3 acre corner lot. We have done a lot of renovations, all new flooring, complete remodel in the kitchen, added 300 sq ft of paver patio with a grill deck and an 8x12 storage shed. All exterior siding was replaced and re-painted (I only replaced damaged fascia, other than that, all fascia and soffit was left in tact) and gutters were added.

The only areas inside of the home not 100% remodeled are the two bathrooms. The guest/second bath just needs a new tub/til or refurbish the fiberglass combo unit, the master bath needs the floor re-tiled, paint and the same with the shower, and the entry needs re-tiled.

Current new home pricing is $100-110/ft and the upper end of the refurb's that are for sale was in the $87/ft range a little over a year ago. Our current location is not where we want to be when our son starts going to school. It is convenient, on the good side of the town that we live in, and that is about it. My current dilemma is as follows:

If I can get the upper end of that $90-110/ft price, I can walk away with a VERY nice chunk of change. I could then, in turn, move into an apartment or a rental for the short term, buy another house and run the same game. remodel, live in it for 2-3 years, sell, and take the equity and put it towards something in the area that we want our son to go to school in. Lance is 8 months old, I could ALMOST do this 2 more times, if the market holds up, I'm able to score like I did on our current home, and have close to $100K to put towards land/build or a house in our desired area.

The other option, is to go the rental route with our current property. It would take a re-finance into a conventional loan, which shouldn't be too difficult at current comps. If we rented, we could rent our house out for about $600 more than our mortgage payment ever month. The only major mechanical item that hasn't been replaced is the A/C compressor.

I'm looking for some insight from anyone in real estate, or has been down a similar route. This is our first home and we are very proud of what we have turned it into which makes it hard to say, yes, we are selling and moving on. Though, if someone showed up on my door step tomorrow and offered me $100-110/ft, I'd be moving.
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

look at comps in your own neighborhood/area, to see how much per sq ft things are actually selling for.

Comment

If you have remodeled the house the last thing I would do is rent it out. The only way I would rent a home is if it was one that was purchased and spruced up at a very small expense. My brother has about a dozen rentals and people will destroy anything and everything they can. What they don't destroy, they complain about not being "right". Then when he is not fixing all that, he is chasing renters to get the rent payment.

Comment

You should really talk to a real estate agent in your area for current comps as Matt said.

If you think you can get $600/mo OVER your mortgage, I would absolutely do it. Just keep in mind mortgage rates are higher than they were when you bought that one. And another thing to consider, is that when you go to get a loan on the next place (if you keep it as a rental), the bank is going to want to see a minimum of 6 months of rental income in the bank.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Have you been in for at least 2 years and homesteaded? Capital gains will suck. Dont forget while the market is good, you are going to pay for it when you buy.

Comment

Throw it on zillow "make me move" for the high end of what you want.
            2006 Civic SI
            2009 Pilot
            1988 GT
            CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Originally posted by 1carcrazyguy View Post
              If you have remodeled the house the last thing I would do is rent it out. The only way I would rent a home is if it was one that was purchased and spruced up at a very small expense. My brother has about a dozen rentals and people will destroy anything and everything they can. What they don't destroy, they complain about not being "right". Then when he is not fixing all that, he is chasing renters to get the rent payment.
              The up side is that we are on the "good" side of town and our house would rent for double what the "riff raff" typically rent. Most renters on this side of town work for L3

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
              You should really talk to a real estate agent in your area for current comps as Matt said.

If you think you can get $600/mo OVER your mortgage, I would absolutely do it. Just keep in mind mortgage rates are higher than they were when you bought that one. And another thing to consider, is that when you go to get a loan on the next place (if you keep it as a rental), the bank is going to want to see a minimum of 6 months of rental income in the bank.
              We have a friend running comps for us.

$600/mo is definitely not out of the question. We would have to re-fi to "legally" be able to rent because we are currently FHA. The house next door rents for $1300/mo, zero renovations, and a smaller lot.

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
              Have you been in for at least 2 years and homesteaded? Capital gains will suck. Dont forget while the market is good, you are going to pay for it when you buy.
              This was my first "fear" when the thought crossed my mind. Unless tax law has changed, if you sell your primary residence after living there for 2 years, ZERO capital gains tax on any profit less than $500K for a married couple,

The second part of that is something that I let completely slip my mind before making this post. The types of homes that were going for 100K 8-12 months ago, are now going for 120-130K. So, any gains we would have taken out of this home, would have to be used for larger down payment, once we did a small renovation, that huge payout is now Zero...

Originally posted by beefed88 View Post

Comment

Originally posted by beefed88 View Post
                This has tempted me more than once. The realtor friend my wife talked to said that everything on our side of town doesn't last for more than a couple of weeks and is selling for more than asking price.

Comment

Sounds like you already know the answer.....

Comment

Given your statements, and my experience doing something very similar in my younger years, I feel that you are being impatient and should hold on in your current place for at least 2 more years. Doing so will continue building equity and only make your financial position stronger. In the meantime, continue remodeling your house & yard. It will be enjoyable to your family and will either make it easy to sell or rent when that time comes.

Comment

Market isnt going down, only going up. Goodluck finding homes. In your price point you'll be competing with guys buying to rent. They pay more than you can to flip it.

Wholesalers are mostly crooks, good deals are gone in minutes. Super tough making money right now.

We got super lucky on our last buy, but still paid little more than we would have liked.

If I were you, I'd live in it

Comment

I wouldn't sell to move into an apartment. If you are trying to time the market that is a poor strategy. I have said this in your other posts in the past focus on paying it off and maxing out 401k. Make flipping homes secondary to that.
                        2006 Civic SI
                        2009 Pilot
                        1988 GT
                        CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

They call that the Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat (BRRRR) strategy. The goal is to get all your money you initially invested out and possibly more and buy the next place, rinse and repeat an unlimited number of times. $500 a month cash flow is pretty good in terms of a single family rental.

IMO real estate is the best investment you can make. Do it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                            obviously didn't read the first fucking sentence....

"We bought our house 3 years ago this May"

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                              obviously didn't read the first fucking sentence....

"We bought our house 3 years ago this May"
                              Obviously you didnt read the my sentence and see the "AND HOMESTEAD" part. He could have moved in and if he doesnt homestead it for 2 years, he will owe capital gains ya dick

Comment

Working...
                              X