Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WWII Veteran is turning 100 and family would like you to send cards!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWII Veteran is turning 100 and family would like you to send cards!

Figured I would pass along this story. I have no connection to the Veteran just figured I would help pass along the word!

WWII veteran turns 100, family hopes for 100 cards and letters
    2017-01-31T23:43:20Z
    2017-02-01T16:19:53Z
    By Presley Fowler, ReporterCONNECT

Local WW2 veteran turns 100
    LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) -
    A Lubbock World War II veteran is celebrating a big milestone this weekend, and his family and friends are spreading the word to help do something special for him on his big day.

Bryan Hardin has seen it all.

"It don't seem like I've been here that long," Hardin said.

He's a proud four-year veteran of the Army, serving as a medic during World War II from 1941-1945.

"That was one of my desires, to be a patriotic person," Hardin said.

Today he lives in a local independent living home, and says he's had a happy life with his wife Reta of 71 years.

"Oh I'm doing great. I don't need anything," Hardin said.

They have a loving family.

"All of our children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and one great-great-grandson," Reta Hardin said.

And many reasons to celebrate, as Bryan approaches a major milestone this Sunday.

"What's coming up? My 100th birthday," Hardin said.

In good health, and good company, Bryan will turn 100 years old on Feb. 5.

"It's really kind of unbelievable in one sense of the word, but his parents were in their early 90's when both of them passed away. And he had aunts and uncles that were in their early 90's when they passed away. So longevity in his family we knew was there. But really didn't ever think about him celebrating a 100th birthday but we're excited for him," his son, Lyndon Hardin, said.
    His family has a goal for Bryan's big day: to get 100 cards and letters wishing him a happy birthday, and thanking him for his service.

They are well on their way to that goal, as many cards have already come in from family and friends.

"I just think that he will enjoy seeing numerous people send him birthday greetings, you know. And I think it will just make him feel special, and really realize that he is celebrating 100 years," Lyndon Hardin said.

But before Bryan receives that special gift, he has some advice for anyone hoping to reach the century mark.

"I think a good attitude is the key to your well-being. I've always tried to look positive, always. Get yourself out of the rut, and get on the positive side," Hardin said.

If you would like to send Bryan a birthday card or letter, you can mail them to his son Lyndon.

Address them to:

B.C. Hardin
    2916 110th Street
    Lubbock, TX 79423

I'll for sure be doing this.

Comment

We put one in the mail today for him.

Comment

Originally posted by 1carcrazyguy View Post
        His family has a goal for Bryan's big day: to get 100 cards and letters wishing him a happy birthday, and thanking him for his service.
        There is no way that a member of the greatest generation has asked for this. Nothing wrong with any of it but the title of the thread is wrong.

Comment

100 cards and 100 Bad Motherfucker wallets.

Comment

Family probably wants to show him that people still care for him. I know my dad is in his mid 70's and his friends are passing away, in bunches. A family friend made it to 96 and I recall him saying many times, "I just lived to long. All my friends died 15-20 years ago". I can only imagine that the Veteran has said similar things and the family wanted to make sure he knew, people still cared for our former service members!

Comment

USPS sends letters from APO addresses for free. You can literally write a note on an empty MRE box, write "FREE MAIL" in the upper corner and they will deliver it just like a post card.

I guess I should do that. Old troops appreciate that shit
              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Working...
              X