No announcement yet.

Tankless water heaters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tankless water heaters are great for small homes but a pain in the ass for big square footage houses

Comment

I have a Electric tankless and love it. It uses 3 220v 40a breakers. yes it takes a little bit for hot water to get to some locations but well worth it. We noticed our electric go down but not by much. But when the wife fills the garden tub it does not run out of hot water.

Comment

We have a 4450sqft house with a single tankless gas unit and it works great. Takes a few minutes to get hot water to the faucet, but barely worse than the tanked version we had in our old house.
        Last edited by mustang1200; 01-13-2017, 07:18 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

I have a gas tankless as well. It will take a few minutes to get hot water to the faucet but after it's there it doesn't end as far as i know.
          I'd definitely do another gas tankless.
          It happens to be a well thought out and reasoned dissertation on drug use and a lyrical cost/benefit analysis of various kinds of drugs, drawing the conclusion that beer is the best of them all.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. After all the reviews I think I'll simply replace with another tank water heater.

Comment

Do they put out the same amount of heat that a regular tanked version does? Maybe a stupid question but I remember when they were first becoming popular people complained that the water temp wasn't as high.

Comment

I know ours will burn your face off if you disable the max safe temp setting.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
                  Do they put out the same amount of heat that a regular tanked version does? Maybe a stupid question but I remember when they were first becoming popular people complained that the water temp wasn't as high.
                  Someone in that other thread linked above mentioned 35 degrees over the incoming water temp, but that doesn't seem like much at all.

Comment

Originally posted by phaux View Post
                    Thanks for all the feedback. After all the reviews I think I'll simply replace with another tank water heater.
                    Probably the best move for electric. For those making comments about takes too long to get hot water and size of house, here's my experience for reference.

3100+ square feet
                    1 gas unit (largest one in stock at Home Depot)
                    Installed myself and have temp set at 120 (can go higher if I disable safety)
                    Less than a minute from farthest point to get hot water (just seems like several minutes, but it's not).

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                      Someone in that other thread linked above mentioned 35 degrees over the incoming water temp, but that doesn't seem like much at all.
                      Ours you set to a specified temperature it endeavors to reach that temp. After testing I did find it was 5 degrees off though an adjusted accordingly.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                        That's the "lift" that it gives, and that's what my unit says in the description. Basically it's how much can the water temp gain running through the unit. If the incoming water is really cold, it won't get as hot. We've had ours almost 2 years now and have had no problems, even the other morning when the wind chill was 2 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
                          My Rheem came with a remote thermostat. Comes set for 120°, but I run it at 130° and nobody gets burned. Will go higher, but scalding becomes an issue

I installed our Rheem, moving it to an exterior wall, which required moving water lines and running a new gas line. I was initially going to keep it in the same closet as the tanked, and just utilize the extra space, but my plumber buddy said that they use more gas, more efficiently, and you have to run a 3/4" gas supply line to them. That was the main reason that I moved it to the exterior wall, as that exterior wall was only 4' from the gas meter, so new gas supply was easy.

I waste so much water now pulling heated water to the tap that Im going to install a small electric instant hot water supply under the kitchen sink.
                          Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

Working...
                          X