This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas salvage/rebuilt titles

I'm looking at trucks on Dallas craigslist and the vast majority are rebuilt trucks. Prices are pretty damn good on them even salvage but have never seen so many in my life. Is this pretty common down there and do you guys ever buy rebuilt stuff? Most seem to be from hispanics...which up here in kansas is rare but they are usually junk.

From what i hear from the auctions Hispanics are buying up everything they can get there hands on and piecing shit together. Got my ranger from a Hispanic with a salvaged title and all kinds of crap was wrong with it but no big deal. Stay away from anything flood damage....

Comment

Don't know what you will be doing with it but,

For resale I stay away from salvage anything. Drives the price into the ground. Those mexicans have been doing this kind of thing forever. They're known for taking 2 or even 3 cars and making 1. Like cutting a car in half, and welding the other half of another car in place. Just putting the two pieces that weren't hit, together. It may be hard to tell if that would actually affect driveability, cause if done just right it might be fine. But I wouldn't want a car like that..
      WH

Comment

I've owned several rebuilt salvage title cars.

Never purchase one from a seller who does not admit, or disclose why it is salvage.

If you are looking at a car that is less than 5 years old and the owner has no idea why it has a salvage title, but knows that it is a salvage title they are lying to you

If the ad reads completely normal and only when you scroll down to title status that it mentions salvage, stay away.

All of my salvage title cars were great vehicles, the previous owners described exactly why and how it was salvaged, and anything they have had trouble with

If youre looking at a 2013 ram 2500 with a cummins and the owner doesn't know why it was salvaged, stay away. If you've never been down to an auction house and seen paint and body shops being run out of storage units you can not understand the amount of shittery that happens fixing a late model salvage car

Comment

Agree. I've got an SUV right now, that will be sold under a salvage title. But I didn't buy it, I got it for free. Wouldn't have bought it, as again, resale goes to hell. They always want thousands off because of salvage.

That said, there's nothing wrong with the SUV. They hit a trailer hitch on an F350, and as the SUV was over 10 years old, they totaled it out. It was all cosmetic. Airbags didn't pop. New bumper cover, new headlights, 1 new fender, new fog lights, new blinkers, and then the paint. Apparently that was more than the insurance co wanted to pay. So yeah, its still a great vehicle for someone. And it will have a salvage title.
          WH

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, salvage title cars have "0" value. Good Luck on trying to sell one.
            sigpic
            "Lookin' back in front of me in the mirror's a grin,
            through eyes of love I see I'm really lookin' at a friend
            We've all had our problems that's the way life is,
            my heart goes out to others who are there to make amends".

Comment

Also be careful of out of state cars, the title can be salvage and not carried over as such when titled in Texas.
              sigpic

Comment

Salvage junk from out of state

This guy is from Rowlett, he's Russian, and most of his stuff is totals from outside of Texas.

Cars look good in the pictures, but are shit when seen in person.
                sigpic

Comment

It depends on how much you pay for them and why you are buying them. It also depends on how they are damaged. It takes a keen eye to be able to tell the pile of shit from the gold mine.
                  Originally posted by racrguy
                  What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                  Originally posted by racrguy
                  Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Like stated it all depends on the situation, take the car to a professional and have them look it over.

Comment

Not looking to resale but looking for me. I've owned a salvage car snd had no problems with it, no issues with disclosure, and sold for the same price I paid. Just got a good deal.

I was just blown away by the sheer number of vehicles that are 3 yrs old and rebuilt. The value of collision salvage cars has gone way up from the old 50% rule in my opinion.

Was just curious if there are any legit and trustworthy shops doing it? We have one local but no deals like these

Comment

Originally posted by prostock1 View Post
                        http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/5836524700.html

This guy is from Rowlett, he's Russian, and most of his stuff is totals from outside of Texas.

Cars look good in the pictures, but are shit when seen in person.
                        A foreigner, who imports salvage cars into texas. Yeah I'd skip that whole scene.
                        WH

Comment

I have two vehicles with salvage titles. They were both theft recoveries. IO have put 100,000 miles on the 03 Lightning, and have only put a set of brakes on it. The Fox coupe has no issues other than being hammered on all the time. can you say Hot Rod with stroker motor ?). Yes price will suffer, but I bet not as much as you think if they are sold for cash.

Comment

More cars out there with "clean" titles to be scared of , at least the ones marked you are aware there may be a issue

Crooked dealers everywhere

Comment

Originally posted by akfodysvn View Post
                              I'm looking at trucks on Dallas craigslist and the vast majority are rebuilt trucks. Prices are pretty damn good on them even salvage but have never seen so many in my life. Is this pretty common down there and do you guys ever buy rebuilt stuff? Most seem to be from hispanics...which up here in kansas is rare but they are usually junk.

If the rebuilt title was done correctly, it's 20% off the value, most people don't even care any more. Someone in my town just got arrested for getting salvage cars, not fixing them, getting an inspection station to sign off, and then getting rebuilt titles back. People are always looking for a quick buck, just make sure to look it over real good.

Originally posted by Big Dad View Post
                              More cars out there with "clean" titles to be scared of , at least the ones marked you are aware there may be a issue

Crooked dealers everywhere
                              Being a dealer is hard right now. No one really likes you and people say they want good cars, but they sure as fuck don't want to pay for them. I used to be that guy that would get the cheapest/most broken shit I could find, put it back together and sell it for dirt ass cheap. I changed that strategy this year, started buying some clean cars and raising the prices. Wanna know what happens?

People get on craigslist, see the clapped out shit for cheap and expect me to price match. They get pissed when I won't, then they go buy the clapped out POS, it breaks, and then they say "All dealers are crooked assholes!!!". No, you just got what you paid for. Fun examples.

I had an 06 Sebring convertible with 90K miles on it. Fucker was clean as hell, ran perfect, every single thing worked. Was asking $3500 for it. Had a guy drive 200 miles to see it and absolutely lost his shit over 6 minor hail bumps on the hood, that were visible in pictures!!! I got offered $2k on it several times because there was one on craigslist with 190K on it for $1700.

I've got an 05 Mustang convertible on my lot right now. 145K miles, not the prettiest thing, has some scrapes, not gonna lie. Not horrible, but not pristine either. Runs perfect though. I have it up for $4500, a grand cheaper than anyone else on craigslist. Nothing but lowballers offering me new edge prices for an S197.

04 Camry, 157K miles, clean as shit, $3500, no bites. FML.

Comment

Working...
                              X