Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there really a difference in OEM vs. aftermarket parts anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there really a difference in OEM vs. aftermarket parts anymore?

Several years back I was convinced that it's just better to replace certain parts with dealer supplied parts vs. parts from O'Reilly's. Not like belts and brake pads but electronic type parts. Anyway, our latest issue with the Infiniti has me wanting to try a less expensive repair shop

The wife got a code P0420 on her 2011 m37. Online says it can be either the cat or most likely o2 sensor. I went to the dealer to buy the o2, $280, but before getting it, decided to talk to a service advisor to see what the cost is for them to replace it.

He says he doubts it's the sensor but more likely the converter has failed or has a crack. There is some cross brace that mounts to the exhaust to aid with vibration that sometimes hits something underneath and will crack both cat converters. Then he proceeds to tell me that usually the sensors will need replacing too if they can't get them out or if they're reading out of range. At this point my BS meter is pegged out. I've heard of people being told the entire "system" is trashed and walk out getting raped. I'm trying to prevent that from happening.

So my dilemma is whether to take it to a more affordable shop or if it's advisable to stick with Infiniti parts. The converter is about $700, 3hrs at $190/hr, and about $280 x 2 if they "can't get the sensors out". That's for one side! The only thing they left out was that I needed to add exhaust fluid.

Added note: he did say there is a different code for the o2 sensor, which I'm not getting. He didn't know it off the top of his head but said it would be like P0200 or something similar. Best I could find is P2A00 which kinda supports what he's telling me.
    Last edited by GeorgeG.; 10-14-2016, 05:13 PM.

Failed cats usually present as bad O2s. You need to have a diagnostics run, not a auto zone code read. Guestinostics is stupid expensive and generally cost more in the long run than diagnostics and repair.
    1995 Cobra #404
    1994 Cobra #1968 **traded**
    1991 LX Hatch 5.0-Sold

Comment

Have you checked the parts price at Rock Auto? I have had good results from cats ordered through them.

Comment

Those service advisers make more money if they can sell you more parts and services.

I'd just replace the dead converter with a similarly sized one from magnaflow or other reputable company.
        WH

Comment

Emissions warranties are pretty long. You sure it's still not covered?
          Ford
          GM
          Toyota
          VAG

Comment

With a p0420 I would say it needs a cat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
            2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
              Several years back I was convinced that it's just better to replace certain parts with dealer supplied parts vs. parts from O'Reilly's. Not like belts and brake pads but electronic type parts. Anyway, our latest issue with the Infiniti has me wanting to try a less expensive repair shop

The wife got a code P0420 on her 2011 m37. Online says it can be either the cat or most likely o2 sensor. I went to the dealer to buy the o2, $280, but before getting it, decided to talk to a service advisor to see what the cost is for them to replace it.

He says he doubts it's the sensor but more likely the converter has failed or has a crack. There is some cross brace that mounts to the exhaust to aid with vibration that sometimes hits something underneath and will crack both cat converters. Then he proceeds to tell me that usually the sensors will need replacing too if they can't get them out or if they're reading out of range. At this point my BS meter is pegged out. I've heard of people being told the entire "system" is trashed and walk out getting raped. I'm trying to prevent that from happening.

So my dilemma is whether to take it to a more affordable shop or if it's advisable to stick with Infiniti parts. The converter is about $700, 3hrs at $190/hr, and about $280 x 2 if they "can't get the sensors out". That's for one side! The only thing they left out was that I needed to add exhaust fluid.

Added note: he did say there is a different code for the o2 sensor, which I'm not getting. He didn't know it off the top of his head but said it would be like P0200 or something similar. Best I could find is P2A00 which kinda supports what he's telling me.
              Get it correctly diagnosed, and then go from there. Aftermarket cats are hit and miss. We sell Tenneco (Walker), and generally have zero issues with them. As far as the O2 sensor (if needed) goes, stick with the OE manufacturer (NGK, Denso, Bosch) but don't buy from the dealer.
              Originally posted by quikag View Post
              Emissions warranties are pretty long. You sure it's still not covered?
              Generally 5 year/50,000 miles
              "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

8/80k

2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                  8/80k

Correct

Comment

Have only had 0420 be a cat. I would check your manufacturers emissions warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                      8/80k

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                      Correct
                      Oh, right. I was thinking of the aftermarket ones.
                      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

I've had better luck with oem parts fitting and working better..
                        "PSH!!!"

Comment

The good news is the CEL turned off today so I'm hoping this leans towards a failed o2 sensor. If it comes back, ill get it checked out at firestone.

Comment

probably a cracked catalytic converter. my daily has this issue same 420 code too. engine light goes on/off every couple weeks/months...sometimes immediately after I hit a big pothole

Comment

If your into working on your own car,I actually have flushed a convertor with purple power in a guys mitsubishi after seeing a guy on YouTube do it. Haven't seen it back. Maybe try some Cataclean lol

Comment

Working...
                              X