F150 engine time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F150 engine time

Well my sisters 92 F150 4x4 motor gave up the ghost finally at almost 200000 miles. So it has served well. I have a 347 rotating assembly at a friends shop (hopefully still there). Unfortunately he's hospitalized for awhile and I can't get to it. The idea was gonna be decent heads with a small cam and get tuned, but I need to get started soon. Sooo,now she already wanted a 5.8 and is looking like this is time to do it. Any fast track info to swap to a 5.8 from a 5.0? Seems like a drop in type deal after swapping pcms. Also any preferred places to get a good complete pullout? Someone have a good one laying around? Would be nice to finally do speed limit without having it floored most the time.

As old as any of those motors are if you chance into a take out I'd pull it apart anyways. It would probably be easier and quicker to just build one.

Comment

Find a good donor with a roller at the junk yard and take everything you can. Plug and playish lol

Comment

Man, I wish we had a Tech Forum...
        Originally posted by Silverback
        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I did the 306 to 408 swap on my mustang. Balance is 50 oz for the 302, 28 oz for 351 so you need balancer and flexplate or flywheel. Old intake, exhaust, and distributor won't work (block is higher). I agree, anything that is a pullout will have to be rebuilt - I would buy a shortblock from someone reputable (or do a stroked 302).

Comment

Yea, salvage yard engines are junk lol.

Comment

Last year for the 351W was 1996 (and that was in a Econoline). Good luck finding a low mileage pullout.

Comment

LS swap it.

Comment

Coyote swap it.
                  WH

Comment

There's a great forum on these old trucks. This question is almost asked daily.

Comment

Originally posted by R3_82GT View Post
                      Last year for the 351W was 1996 (and that was in a Econoline). Good luck finding a low mileage pullout.
                      There was the Bronco, F250 and F350 that had a 351w in it at that time as well.

Comment

I'm gonna go through whatever I get. Wanted a pullout so I'd get the 5.8 specific stuff with it.
                        Feel free to put in tech if you'd like. Seems to fit either. But putting feelers out if someone here has a parts truck they were thinking of ditching. Bad motor is fine.
                        And who still burns chips locally for these dinosaurs?

Comment

Originally posted by orphan Shelby View Post
                          I'm gonna go through whatever I get. Wanted a pullout so I'd get the 5.8 specific stuff with it.
                          Feel free to put in tech if you'd like. Seems to fit either. But putting feelers out if someone here has a parts truck they were thinking of ditching. Bad motor is fine.
                          I'd hit ebay and craigslist. Probably have better luck with the former with the few parts you'll actually need. Pan, headers, intake. Maybe some misc small parts but not much. Other than the obvious the only real difference in the 5.8 was the deck height.

Comment

Originally posted by orphan Shelby View Post
                            I'm fairly certain the stock computer will run the 5.8

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
                              I'm fairly certain the stock computer will run the 5.8
                              It will.

Comment

Working...
                              X