Rift Valley Fever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rift Valley Fever

Well shit. I am scheduled to fly home on Sunday (sept 25th) and this just broke out 260km from me.

Health workers in western Niger are racing to contain an outbreak of Rift Valley fever that has killed at least 21 people over the past month, an aid agency said on Wednesday.

DAKAR (Thomson Reuters Foundation) – Health workers in western Niger are racing to contain an outbreak of Rift Valley fever that has killed at least 21 people over the past month, an aid agency said on Wednesday.

The highly contagious disease, which is transmitted to humans by mosquitoes or close contact with contaminated animals, has infected 52 people in Niger's western region of Tahoua since late August, the country's health ministry said.

The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) and Niger's health authorities have opened an emergency treatment center, in the region's hardest-hit district of Tchintabaraden, to look after the infected and stop the disease from spreading.

"Unfortunately, the 52 severe cases officially registered at present only represent the tip of the iceberg," ALIMA's medical coordinator Oumarou Maidadji said in a statement.

With no specific treatment or effective human vaccine, Rift Valley fever can cause blindness and severe haemorrhaging, leading the victim to vomit blood or even bleed to death.

Herders and farmers are deemed at higher risk of infection from the disease, which can devastate livestock.

Niger's health ministry said people in the Tahoua region, especially pastoralists, should avoid handling meat from infected animals, boil raw milk before consumption, and ensure that the corpses of dead animals are buried carefully.

ALIMA is also working with local partners and doctors to provide a mobile clinic which travels the region to inform the public about the disease and how to prevent it from spreading.

"Awareness is an essential step to contain the spread of the epidemic," said Maidadji. "As the annual festival of farmers approaches, vigilance is crucial."
    That annual festival is 160km from us here in Agadez and there are tons of folks from Agadez going.

Spread by the fucking mosquitos too. So not just the deadliest strain of malaria we have to worry about from those little bastards, and they are small ones, but now this.

Luckily, I am leaving before anyone get sick here and before they put a travel restriction in place. I promise, I feel perfectly fine and fever free.

It's showing up in Mali too. http://www.africanews.com/2016/09/21...break-in-mali/

Close to 40 people have been infected following an outbreak of rift valley fever in Tchintabaraden, a border community between Mali and Niger.

The outbreak of the fever was confirmed after blood samples sent to Dakar for analyses tested positive.

The first case of rift valley fever diagnosed in August affected mostly nomads in the area.

Mali’s health minister and Médicins Sans Frontières have sent experts to find out the cause of the current outbreak and put in place an emergency intervention plan to stop the epidemic.

Rift valley fever primarily affects animals but also has the capacity to infect humans.

It is transmitted through direct or indirect contact with the blood or organs of infected animals, ingestion of uncooked milk as well as bites from infected mosquitoes.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Damn it.
    DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

You go blind and then bleed to death? Sounds fun.
      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Why does everything from Africa want to kill us?
        G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
          Why does everything from Africa want to kill us?
          Funny you put it that way. We actually have a saying here that "that everything in Africa is trying to kill you".

It is a very rough place to live and those that live are some very tough sons of bitches.

Comment

Transmitted by mosquitoes? That's pretty damn scary. Probably the closest thing to 'airborne' hemorrhagic fever out there, no?

How long are you home? Long enough that when it comes time to pack up again they might have travel restrictions in place?

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
              Transmitted by mosquitoes? That's pretty damn scary. Probably the closest thing to 'airborne' hemorrhagic fever out there, no?

How long are you home? Long enough that when it comes time to pack up again they might have travel restrictions in place?
              Sept 26th until Oct 16th

Comment

Good luck with your bottom!
                Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Damn. That is off the charts on the suckage meter!
                  Stay safe Keith.

David

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                    sept 26th until oct 16th
                    your body is going to go into shock with the climate change

Comment

Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
                      It is a very rough place to live and those that live are some very tough sons of bitches.
                      Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Working...
                      X