No announcement yet.

Does anyone Roomba?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in the day it was blower vs. turbo, which creates more boost. Now it's which vacuum cleans better. When you figure it out let me know, I'm busy pouring whiskey in my geritol.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
      My friend had a roomba. His dog shit on the floor, and the roomba decided to clean it up. It sucked some of the shit up into every crack and crevice it had, and smeared the rest around the floor, then proceeded to try to vaccum the rest of the house while shit covered. He came home to a shit smeared mess.
      My friend has a dog that hated his girlfriend at the time (Now wife). We like to of died when she told us the dog stopped and took a shit in front of the Roomba while making eye contact with her. She caught it after it smeared it a bit.
      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I want to get the wife one of these. Our main entry way where the dogs are kept during the day gathers hair fast. It's about 1000sq foot no cords etc.

I assume empty everyday type thing.

Comment

Did some research on these after reading this thread. Apparently the Dyson is NOT the one you want. Not until they come out with v2.0 or v3.0 or something. It ain't so great. You want the roomba 980 ($900) or the Neato Connected ($700). Apparently everyone loves those two, and they do great. There are lower models for less money, but they're louder, don't have the same battery life, shorter range, etc etc.
          WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
            Did some research on these after reading this thread. Apparently the Dyson is NOT the one you want. Not until they come out with v2.0 or v3.0 or something. It ain't so great. You want the roomba 980 ($900) or the Neato Connected ($700). Apparently everyone loves those two, and they do great. There are lower models for less money, but they're louder, don't have the same battery life, shorter range, etc etc.
            If you are worried about noise, dont get a vacuum. Mine is quieter than a traditional vacuum. I just have to turn up the TV while its on. The only issue, it takes 1.5 hours to run. I schedule it to run when Im not home

Comment

I bought a roomba about 8 years ago and it didn't last long and rarely made it back to it's base. I bought the 880 model (about a year or so ago), expecting that they've m some strides since the previous one (which was a 360 or something)...it does a better job, but it doesn't make it back to its base often either. Since the first time I accidentally kicked that thing while walking to the kitchen half asleep, I watch out for it...

Comment

I've had mine for about 4 years now and it's been the best thing I've ever spent money on. I've been looking at the yard Roomba variations out there to take care of my backyard as well I'll report back if I find one that works well.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                  If you are worried about noise, dont get a vacuum. Mine is quieter than a traditional vacuum. I just have to turn up the TV while its on. The only issue, it takes 1.5 hours to run. I schedule it to run when Im not home
                  Which one do you have? From your reply I guess they have suction, and non suction models that just use brushes to try toss the dirt up in there?

Originally posted by STANGGT40 View Post
                  I bought a roomba about 8 years ago and it didn't last long and rarely made it back to it's base. I bought the 880 model (about a year or so ago), expecting that they've m some strides since the previous one (which was a 360 or something)...it does a better job, but it doesn't make it back to its base often either. Since the first time I accidentally kicked that thing while walking to the kitchen half asleep, I watch out for it...
                  Kind of sucks but even still... if its not heavy to carry, I'd probably go for putting that thing back on its base from time to time, instead of cleaning my floors so often. The Neato supposedly always makes it back to its base cause it stops vacuuming when it gets low and reserves enough power to go back to base. Then it remembers where it was and goes back to it.
                  WH

Comment

Which one do you have? From your reply I guess they have suction, and non suction models that just use brushes to try toss the dirt up in there?

Kind of sucks but even still... if its not heavy to carry, I'd probably go for putting that thing back on its base from time to time, instead of cleaning my floors so often. The Neato supposedly always makes it back to its base cause it stops vacuuming when it gets low and reserves enough power to go back to base. Then it remembers where it was and goes back to it.
                    That's what the roomba is supposed to do...it just doesn't for some reason. I'm with you, though...it does a decent job at vacuuming, so I don't mind carrying it back to its base.

Comment

I have a Neato Botvac D80. It uses suction and a rubber bladed brush. My house is mostly hardwoods and it does great.

And your 2nd quote is true. While mine hasnt made it back to the charger once or twice in the last year or so, it almost always makes it back. Then goes back to where it left off about an hour and a half later after charging.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                        I have a Neato Botvac D80. It uses suction and a rubber bladed brush. My house is mostly hardwoods and it does great.

And your 2nd quote is true. While mine hasnt made it back to the charger once or twice in the last year or so, it almost always makes it back. Then goes back to where it left off about an hour and a half later after charging.
                        Looking more and more like I'll be going with the neato then. If there is one that does a decent job and goes back to base, as well as remembers where it was, that is the one I want. What is the range on your neato? My house is 2300 square feet, so I'm not sure if that will be pushing the limits of its range, or not. Although there is one room where I could probably just shut the door and not worry about it.
                        WH

Comment

Looking more and more like I'll be going with the neato then. If there is one that does a decent job and goes back to base, as well as remembers where it was, that is the one I want. What is the range on your neato? My house is 2300 square feet, so I'm not sure if that will be pushing the limits of its range, or not. Although there is one room where I could probably just shut the door and not worry about it.
                          It will do about 1500sqft or so before needing to charge. I dont think you will have any trouble doing the full house after a recharge.

I bought mine a while back using a Best Buy coupon. They do 20-25% off small appliance coupon now and again. Also, sometimes you can get away using a bed bath and beyond coupon at there store.

Id setup a deal alert on slickdeals and wait for a good deal. <$400 many times.

Comment

Hmm... this will be my first dealings with slickdeals. Is most of their stuff factory refurbished? Looks like a good portion of it is at least. Not that I really mind that.
                            WH

Comment

just setup an account and make a deal alert under your control panel. Anytime someone posts a deal about Botvac, it will email you. If its a good deal, get it. If not, then dont. Sometimes they post refurb deals. Mine wasnt and I learned about it on slickdeals. Saved me $100

Comment

SO our down stairs has the master bedroom, living, kitchen, entry way, utility, and 2 dining rooms. The first time I tested it i divided it into three equally spaced out areas.

Master bedroom by itself - was amazed how much it got out of the carpet, returned to base

dining 1 entry way and living, i put out several test piles of grass cuttings and it got everyone of them, stuck on chair leg

utility, dining 2, and kitchen - again with the cuttings and they were all gone, returned to base

then upstairs over the weekend

my sons room closed door hardwood - returned to base did great clean around edges

living upstairs hardwood- did not return to base got caught on edge of fireplace , reset a second time - returned to base got every inch clean

hallway and other upstairs rooms - hardwood, returned to base and cleaned great again

It does not matter to me how straight of a line it goes in or how it goes about cleaning, it CLEANS!! We set it to start while we are at work, come home, empty the bin and done. the 860 has the rubber blades also and needs very little maintenance. Just empty the bin and every other clean i am cleaning the filter, which takes about 15 seconds.(hoping after it goes a few weeks that deep dirt is gone and wont be so bad each time)

4 days in i am extremely impressed. Today i am letting it attempt all the downstairs as one area and see how good it does.

Comment

Working...
                                X