Winos and ballers unite!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winos and ballers unite!

Aubrey McClendon's private wine collection is at auction. 4,600+ bottles expected to bring in $7.6M.

Wine collection of indicted oil exec who died is being auctioned in Chicago

A photograph shows Lot 551 - 2000 Chateau La Mission Haut-Brion from the Hart Davis Hart auction of the wines of Aubrey McClendon. The auction will be held Sept. 17 at Tru restaurant in Chicago's Gold Coast neighborhood, but online bidding has already begun

In the market for a double-magnum of 1990 Chateau Le Pin that once belonged to Oklahoma oil-and-gas magnate Aubrey McClendon?

Well then, you're in luck. McClendon's collection of more than 4,600 bottles will be auctioned Sept. 17 at Tru restaurant in the Gold Coast neighborhood, according to Hart Davis Hart, the Chicago-based wine vendor conducting the auction.

McClendon, 56-year-old CEO of American Energy Partners and part owner of the Oklahoma City Thunder NBA basketball team, died in a car wreck March 2, a day after he was indicted by a federal grand jury over alleged bid-rigging. His wine is expected to garner as much as $7.6 million.

Ben Nelson, president of Hart Davis Hart, called McClendon's stock "one of the largest collections of Bordeaux we've ever seen."

McClendon was known for his fondness of large-format bottles, which he would often open and share at business meetings, Nelson said. At the end of the meeting — and the bottle — everyone would sign the label as a sort of keepsake for McClendon.

"It's a special sale. It's really a large quantity of large-format bottles, the likes of which I just haven't seen in my career and probably won't see again," Nelson said.

The auction's open to the public, but thrifty drinkers should probably look elsewhere. The wine will be sold in lots, varying in quantity, at an average estimated price of about $7,000.

The cheapest lot is a single double-magnum bottle of 1998 Joseph Phelps Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon with a wine-stained label, estimated to sell in the range of $80 and $120. The most expensive lot, a case of 2000 Chateau Petrus, is expected to range up to $55,000.

In the market for a double-magnum of 1990 Chateau Le Pin that once belonged to Oklahoma oil-and-gas magnate Aubrey McClendon? Well then, you’re in luck. McClendon’s collection of more t…

I don't drink cheap crap.

Comment

I've been known to polish off an expensive bottle of wine, but 55k? Fuck that. Ain't a wine in the world worth that.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
        I've been known to polish off an expensive bottle of wine, but 55k? Fuck that. Ain't a wine in the world worth that.
        It's a case of it. A good deal. Where do I bid?
        Ford
        GM
        Toyota
        VAG

Comment

I wish!

Comment

I'll stick with Yellowtail Pinot Noir.

Comment

I just do cheap box/bag of wine and Kool-Aid.
              class joke
              {
              private:
              char Forrest, Jenny, Momma, LtDan;
              double Peas, Carrots;
              string MommaAlwaysSaid(const bool AddAnyTime = True)
              };

Comment

Originally posted by quikag View Post
                It's a case of it. A good deal. Where do I bid?
                4600/bottle? Still out.

Comment

No Opus, no care.

Comment

1990? 2000? Don't they have anything a little....fresher? None of that old shit for me.

That was sarcasm

Comment

Working...
                    X