Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice

Howdy,

I am needing some advice on what to do next. Here is the back story of the situation.

First Week of July
    I came back from being out of town to my apartment having a very strong toxic smell. I called the apartment complex and they said it was the ac filter not being changed in long while. (Which was not true because i had them out here twice during the summer because it was not working very well and other times)

Same week,
    The issue was not as bad but the smell did not go away. I noticed mold/mildew on the ac vents. They came out and just cleaned the out side of the ac vents with spray and a rag.

Next week
    Still the same problem. From the ground level, i can see into the vents and noticed a good amount of black, brown and all kinds of stuff growing in these vents.
    I called for the maintenance to come out again (3rd time now). He asked what i wanted to do because he had no idea what to do. I told him, ummm lets get these ducts cleaned.

For more then two weeks,
    Air Duct cleaner was a no show

Finally on August 9th, the carpet cleaner came out to clean the air ducts. After he was gone, it was a mess, all kind of stuff debris was blown out on to my desk, counter, bathroom tub, etc

Ever since he has came out, ive had the worst migraine / headache every single day for most of the day. I have to work and live in this apartment complex.

I need help trying to figure what i need to do to get this resolved.....
    Go to the doctor? Have the apt complex send someone else but who?
    Pay for a mold expert to come out?

I have a little saved up for emergencies and work paycheck to paycheck so please keep that in mind.

Thanks you very much
    Jonathan

Demand to be moved to a non moldy apartment

Comment

Originally posted by Buick355 View Post
      Demand to be moved to a non moldy apartment
      This.

And then move out ASAP.
      Originally posted by Silverback
      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Stachybotris mold may be culprit. Demand to be moved to different unit.

Comment

Also, maybe try something like this:

To validate your suspicion

Comment

The problem with symptoms from mold exposure is that there are no medical standards for what is considered a safe level of exposure. Generally, if you can see visible mold there is a problem that needs to be addressed and sampling it is not necessary.

Comment

Find a professional service to come out and perform a indoor air quality test. Don't use a cheap DIY kit from Amazon. If the results are unfavorable, then the ball is in your court. Documented mold remediation, moving you to another unit, rental reimbursement, terminate your lease without penalty, etc..

Check out HomeAdvisor. You'll receive plenty of calls/bids and you'll usually find a competitive price for most services.

If you have something in writing that states the apt. is a health hazard, there is too much liability for them not to accommodate you. Insurance providers take mold very seriously.

Comment

Get one of the news stations involved.

Find out where to submit a story idea and how to contact FOX 4 News (KDFW-TV) in Dallas-Fort Worth. The station's address, phone numbers and email addresses are available for viewers to contact us.

Comment

The apartment complex management bears the financial responsibility for a IAQ (indoor air quality) inspection. If the OP pays for it himself, he runs the risk of not being reimbursed.

Comment

Thanks you everyone for the quickly reply

I have put in a request on the resident website and sent a personal email to see what I can do for the next step. I put in if we should do the indoor air quality test, get an mold/mildew expert, move to another unit, etc

Thanks
                    Jonathan

Comment

Lawyer UP
                      sigpic

Comment

If the apartment owner/management does it right, there will be baseline air sampling done before remediation and clearance sampling done again after. The basic thing to look for in those results is are levels less after remediation than before, and are levels less than those outside.

Again though, anytime there is visible mold, with or without air sampling being conducted, there is a definite problem that the owner/manager must address.

Comment

Lets interrupt this thread with some facts.

You don't have a mold problem, you have a moisture problem.

We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the the pursuit of happiness......, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive to these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,
                          I'm posting from my phone, probably while driving. Expect typoes.......

Comment

Moisture doesn't cause symptoms, mold however can in some individuals. That is his problem currently. Eliminating the moisture today will not make his symptoms disappear until the mold is also remediated.

More facts.

Comment

Yeah move out. They can get that shot cleaned up correctly or get you another unit

Comment

Working...
                              X