Rio's polluted Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CJ View Post
    Yeah, seems like in all the sensationalism of reporting drama and professional tattle-tailing no one dissected the facts to see it's a matter of perspective. They definitely bullshitted and hammed up their stories, but it wasn't a completely malicious fabrication. It seems from what I've read Lochte hammed the story up to his mother, and then she went to the press, and that's when it got out of hand.
    Considering the situation with Rio, and how much they have sold out to try and convince the world that they are a great destination, his lies could potentially cause their whole country a huge amount of long-term economic and social damage, which they flat out just cannot afford. That makes it pretty damn malicious. He has come out and bold-faced lied about it on major news outlets like a little bitch. The backfire is and will be epic, as it should. He's going to have to tuck his tail between his legs and apologize publically and admit he is a lying attention whore.

Comment

I just wonder if their medals will be taken away.. Which is why, I'm sure, they stuck to the lie.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
        I just wonder if their medals will be taken away.. Which is why, I'm sure, they stuck to the lie.
        They didn't cheat in their races, so is there any basis for that?

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
          They didn't cheat in their races, so is there any basis for that?
          It seems like I read they have code of conduct obligations.. Like morality clauses.. Not sure though, what I read was just a passing mention of it. I don't know if they can be disqualified for that after the fact.

BTW, I'm not saying it 'should happen' but got the impression that it 'could' happen.

Comment

Not a great source, but this was something that came up with a quick google..

As #LochteGate continues on, many people are wondering what will become of Ryan Lochte and his teammates. The four Olympians initially reported they were robbed at gunpoint after a night of parting in Rio over the weekend, but new surveillance…

Comment

LOL @ the IOC being an authority on morality

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                Dookie water
                Naynay is the dookie expert, they didn't call him?

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                  I watched a few documentaries on the ghettos they are hiding from public view and polluted water there. I sure as hell wouldn't get into the sea water there.
                  They had people walk the beach every morning looking for bodies and body parts that washed up. and boats looking off the shore 24/7.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                    Considering the situation with Rio, and how much they have sold out to try and convince the world that they are a great destination, his lies could potentially cause their whole country a huge amount of long-term economic and social damage, which they flat out just cannot afford. That makes it pretty damn malicious. He has come out and bold-faced lied about it on major news outlets like a little bitch. The backfire is and will be epic, as it should. He's going to have to tuck his tail between his legs and apologize publically and admit he is a lying attention whore.
                    This seems to back him up a bit.

Last edited by sc281; 08-23-2016, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                      The green diving pool mystery has been claimed that hydrogen peroxide was dumped in the pool. This chemically neutered the chlorine and caused an algae bloom.
                      Hydrogen peroxide has ZERO effect on the available chlorine in a pool. If anything it will help preserve the amount of free chlorine in a pool.

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                      Yeah, the excuse was that someone "accidentally" poured 160 liters of H2O2 in the pool. You don't accidentally carry around 160 liters of anything and you certainly don't accidentally pour anything into a pool at the olympics. Someone meant to do it - it's just that the guy they hired was a retard.

Then they followed up with this gem

“Chemistry’s not an exact science,”

Pretty sure we have pool chemistry fairly nailed down these days...
                      You would be shocked at how little was really known about pool water chemistry until just a few years ago.

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                      Hydrogen Peroxide is used as a pool sanitizer. What you dont do is mix different types of sanitizers, and they did.
                      Hydrogen peroxide is not a sanitizer; its only function in a pool is that of an oxidizer. It is perfectly suitable to use with chlorine in a pool.

Who ever was taking care of the pool was just a dumb ass. Any one of my guys or myself could have kept that pool looking perfect.
                      Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 08-23-2016, 08:56 AM.
                      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                        Hydrogen peroxide has ZERO effect on the available chlorine in a pool. If anything it will help preserve the amount of free chlorine in a pool.

Hydrogen peroxide is not a sanitizer; its only function in a pool is that of an oxidizer. It is perfectly suitable to use with chlorine in a pool.

Originally posted by Susan Richardson, professor of chemistry at the University of South Carolina
                        If hydrogen peroxide were poured into a pool, it would quickly react with the chlorine-containing liquid bleach (NaOCl) in that pool and disable it, Richardson said. More specifically, hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) reacts with sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) to form oxygen (O2), sodium chloride salt (NaCl) and water (H2O), she said.

As hydrogen peroxide reacts, it forms water (H20), and its signature bubbles, or fizz, which is really oxygen (O2), Richardson said.

If enough hydrogen peroxide were poured into a chlorinated pool, it would react with all of the bleach, until there wouldn't be any chlorine left to kill algae and other organisms that thrive in warm pools, she said.
                        She also made it clear that she didn't do the math to find out how much would have to be put in the pool to do what Rio claimed, but it seems pretty clear that there definitely is a chlorine-neutralizing reaction that happens.

There are pool companies out there that state the exact opposite of what you said:
                        A few words of caution –– hydrogen peroxide cannot be used as an oxidizer in a pool with D.E. filters. Hydrogen peroxide will cause diatomaceous earth to dissolve. Hydrogen peroxide will also remove chlorine from pool water, so it should not be used in pools treated with chlorine.

And according to this chemical company:
                        Hydrogen Peroxide is a Safe Alternative for Dechlorination

Hydrogen Peroxide Chemistry and Dechlorination

When elemental chlorine is dissolved in water, an equilibrium is established between chlorine, hypochlorous acid, and hypochlorite ion (Cl2, HOCl and OCl-, respectively). The relative amount of each present depends primarily on the pH of the system.

Cl2 + H2O ↔ HOCl + H+ + Cl-
                        HOCl ↔ OCl- + H+

The chlorine as HOCl and OCl- is referred to as free available chlorine. This is the form of chlorine typically found in cooling water circuits, industrial bleaching systems, and many chemical processing operations. Nitrogen-containing compounds such as ammonia, amines and proteins are usually present in municipal wastewater. Free available chlorine reacts readily with these materials to form chloramines in which the chlorine is described as combined available chlorine. The available chlorine remaining after disinfection of municipal wastewaters is usually present in the combined form.

Hydrogen peroxide reacts with free available chlorine in solutions with pH > 7. While there is no upper limit to the pH (e.g., H2O2 can be used to dechlorinate effluent from caustic/chlorine odor scrubbers), as a practical matter, pH 8.5 is preferred in order to provide an instantaneous reaction.

Cl2 + H2O2 → O2 + 2HCl

About 0.48 pounds of hydrogen peroxide is required to destroy one pound of free available chlorine. In most cases the oxygen produced by the reaction will remain dissolved in the solution (saturation is about 10 ppm D.O.). Where higher concentrations of chlorine are involved, the solutions may effervesce and provision must be made to accommodate the O2 evolved. The reaction is mildly exothermic, liberating 37 kcal/mole as opposed to 199 kcal/mole when using SO2.

Comment

^^^^ I use it daily and do not see the results that they are claiming. I use so much of it that the BATFE flagged my account at one of my suppliers and wanted to know what I was doing with it. The people who make those claims are operating in a vacuum and do not take into account the other chemicals that are in the water that will make the chemistry react in ways other then what they predicted. It would take hydrofluoric acid to cause diatomaceous earth to dissolve.

Edit: Please notice that I never made the claim that I would have used Hydrogen peroxide in the pool in Rio. I doubt that I would have used any at all in that pool.
                          Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 08-23-2016, 09:23 AM.
                          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                            do not take into account the other chemicals that are in the water that will make the chemistry react in ways other then what they predicted.
                            Good point.

Comment

Originally posted by sc281 View Post
                              Eh, not really. Just a stretch of a spin.

He came out and apologized already, and admitted he shouldn't have used the word "robbed".

His initial story was complete bullshit, and he blamed that on being drunk that morning when he talked to Billy Bush. He lied yet again when he talked to Matt Lauer. Both of those were before the video came out. He's a turd.

Comment

Working...
                              X