HVAC Techs In Here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HVAC Techs In Here?

Have a few questions on my Central Heat System. House was built in 2009 so unit not too old. What should the humidity be inside a house in this 97 degree heat? I'm getting about 57% on my little digital hygrometer. I'm also getting about 15-16 degree difference between my supply ducts throughout the house and the return duct on the ceiling. House doesn't seem to be cooling as well as the past few years and my "A" Coil is clean. Does this sound right?

16 - 20 degree differential is considered normal range per my HVAC guy. 17 is what I typically see in my house on days like today (e.g., 76 intake / 59 vent). Too low check your refrigerant. Too high check for a restriction. I don't have a hygrometer, but if it doesn't feel sticky or smells musty I don't give much thought about indoor humidity.

I clean the coils about twice a year and change air filter about every 60 days.

Comment

Not sure of the delta t

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
      2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Gotta find the delta/difference in temp. 20 is sweet. My house is at 10 degree right now (Geothermal setup that no one can seem to fix) and I'm hitting 91-92 degrees sometimes in the heat. HOWEVER, when in the high 80s it's cooling. Yours maybe slipping due to one of may refrigeration type problems. R22/R134/whatever, TXV and so on.

To monitor mine, I drill a hole in duct before coil and one on the other side of the blower in the duct. I bought two of these to see the delta...

Remember, the temp is not important for this measurement. However, it matches the HVAC folks I've hired so far. Due to the thick plastic though it does not detect peaks and dips in temp like a real one would.

I'm guessing you have a simple problem though on a 2009....may not be cheap...but will be simple.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

2 of my supply vents on the ceiling, kitchen and living room have devolved major condensation problems leaving a few drops of water on the floor and wet spots around the register that are turning into mold. Seems to happen only when it's hot outside. Looks like I'm heading for an expensive ride to figure out what exactly is going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike69 View Post
            2 of my supply vents on the ceiling, kitchen and living room have devolved major condensation problems leaving a few drops of water on the floor and wet spots around the register that are turning into mold. Seems to happen only when it's hot outside. Looks like I'm heading for an expensive ride to figure out what exactly is going on.
            I bet the pan is clogged and the duct work by the blower is soaking up standing water in the drip pan because it's not draining. The air is blowing the water as it picks it up. Check the drain pan.

Comment

If you haven't done it yet this year, clean your outside coils. They will clog up with dirt and not dissipate heat as well as they should. Turn off your AC unit, take off the covers, spray down the coils with AC coil cleaner, and rinse GENTLY with water.

If that doesn't help, have an AC tech check your system, chances are you are just a little low on Freon. I have to have mine topped off every 3 or 4 years.

Comment

If your system is low on refrigerant it has a leak. Any tech that adds refrigerant but doesn't look for a leak doesn't know what they are doing. It should be leak checked with a halogen detector its a sealed system refrigerant doesn't get used up. If your getting between 14-20 difference from the supply vent and return its doing its job. If your condensate line are clogged that will cause problems. Excess moisture around your evaporator will make it less efficient.
                Last edited by Captain Crawfish; 08-09-2016, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Every system leaks. Unless you can somehow make a system with no fittings, no welds, no vibration, and no temperature variance - you will never have a perfect leak-free AC system.
                  The only question is how much? If the system has lost just a little after 7 years, top it off, check for leaks at all the fittings, and call it a day.

Comment

Called a HVAC Company yesterday that my co-worker friend owns and spoke with him. Told me it could be a few different things going on with the condensation. He's going to send one of his techs over this afternoon to give my system a complete check. Snapped a pic so you fellas could see this ugly mess I'm looking at.

Last edited by Mike69; 08-10-2016, 05:32 AM.

Comment

That's fuckin nasty.

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
                        That's fuckin nasty.
                        Fuck yeah it is. I have 2 drops like this but this one is the worst one. Hoping this guy can find the issue and correct it

Comment

Originally posted by Mike69 View Post
                          Fuck yeah it is. I have 2 drops like this but this one is the worst one. Hoping this guy can find the issue and correct it
                          Is that a return with the moisture?

Comment

Originally posted by S_K View Post
                            Every system leaks. Unless you can somehow make a system with no fittings, no welds, no vibration, and no temperature variance - you will never have a perfect leak-free AC system.
                            The only question is how much? If the system has lost just a little after 7 years, top it off, check for leaks at all the fittings, and call it a day.
                            All systems are sealed if not they need fixed. JMO add all the refrigerant you want to.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                              Is that a return with the moisture?
                              Supply to the kitchen. Also have it on the one in my living room. After a closer look it appears that the register is not fully seated flush against the drywall where all the condensation is taking place.

Comment

Working...
                              X