It is freaking hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is freaking hot

I was out at 7 am doing land nav with cadets this morning and had to go to black flag (rest every 15 minutes and hydrate) by 9. Even moving through woods and under cover it was punishing. We had to break early because it was just too much to keep everyone out there. I am learning I don't have the heat resistance I used to and I am way too over protective of these cadets. About every 20 minutes I'm reminding them to drink water and this morning I did a check of everyone's gear before step off to make sure everyone had the right loadouts.

Then I had them unpack everything to get below 15 pounds by 9 am so that they were only carrying water because of the temperatures. That said....I've missed this.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

It ain't HOT, yet.
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Be careful out there. My dad ended up in the hospital for 3 days last year and 13 bags of fluid due to overheating. Now he has a very hard time making it through the day. Surveying in this heat sucks.

Comment

Not that weather forecasting means anything, but the 10-day says we're over 100 every day.

I love living in and being from this part of the world, but damn. Nothing cool about long stretches of 100+. I keep trying to remind myself that we've been lucky this year, getting regular rain. All the grass should be brown by now and it isn't. Yet.

Comment

I can't tell much working inside. It's always in the70s.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
            I was out at 7 am doing land nav with cadets this morning and had to go to black flag (rest every 15 minutes and hydrate) by 9. Even moving through woods and under cover it was punishing. We had to break early because it was just too much to keep everyone out there. I am learning I don't have the heat resistance I used to and I am way too over protective of these cadets. About every 20 minutes I'm reminding them to drink water and this morning I did a check of everyone's gear before step off to make sure everyone had the right loadouts.

Then I had them unpack everything to get below 15 pounds by 9 am so that they were only carrying water because of the temperatures. That said....I've missed this.
            Come on man, you've been to the safety briefs...hydrate or die, and change your socks!

You working with JROTC kids?
            "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
              I can't tell much working inside. It's always in the70s.
              Heck it's only 80 outside here, mid 60s inside because these people are psychopaths.

Comment

Dry heat.

Comment

69 degrees here right now. Was 55 this morning.

The Texas heat is just gross.

Comment

Come on, boys! The way you're lollygaggin' around here with them picks and shovels, you'd think it was 120 degrees. Can't be more than 114.

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                      Come on, boys! The way you're lollygaggin' around here with them picks and shovels, you'd think it was 120 degrees. Can't be more than 114.
                      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by Musbrad2 View Post
                        Be careful out there. My dad ended up in the hospital for 3 days last year and 13 bags of fluid due to overheating. Now he has a very hard time making it through the day. Surveying in this heat sucks.
                        I've been a heat casualty many times from pushing myself. I don't plan on doing it again when it's volunteer.

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                          Come on man, you've been to the safety briefs...hydrate or die, and change your socks!

You working with JROTC kids?
                          Civil Air Patrol. 14 to 18 and I drive them hard which means I drive myself hard. I'm the first senior to get out there and do PT with them, to push all of this out in the field stuff and I remember being able to do it, my body is just reminding me I can't anymore. Still, it's neat having everyone fall in, doing uniform checks and hearing them call cadence as we move.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                            Civil Air Patrol. 14 to 18 and I drive them hard which means I drive myself hard. I'm the first senior to get out there and do PT with them, to push all of this out in the field stuff and I remember being able to do it, my body is just reminding me I can't anymore. Still, it's neat having everyone fall in, doing uniform checks and hearing them call cadence as we move.
                            Sounds like it would be a lot of work, but the kind you would love doing. I'd like to work with the Sea Cadets if the opportunity pops up.

Comment

I mean it's Air Force Auxiliary but it's fun. We had some good training a few months ago when we were out locating simulated downed aircraft. When that happens for real, then it's going to be worth all the hard work.

Comment

Working...
                              X