Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full on resto project, what will I be getting into?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full on resto project, what will I be getting into?

Long story short, I may have the chance to get a 1934(I think) Ford. It has been sitting in the garage for decades and the mice have had their way with it but, it's complete with nothing more than surface rust. I like the idea of restoring/customizing it, but I've NEVER done anything of this magnitude. I'm not even sure I can stand the thought of it taking up space in my garage for years while I try to finish it and potentially spend thousands on it, which I don't have. I'm sure I would do most of the mechanical work and most likely take up body work/painting as a new hobby but realistically, what am I up against?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Seriously, if you are having second thoughts now.. walk away. That car is going to be a LOT of time and a lot of dollars. If you don't have the space AND the time AND the money, it's not worth it.

Comment

well, the plus side is that it's in the family so it will most likely be free. If anyone else gets it, they will probably just sell it for cash...I'm sure of that.

Comment

If you lack time, money and vision for it, I wouldn't bother. A forever-long resto without passion can be a painful thing.

Comment

Realistically depending on how far you are willing to go with the restoration, you will spend $30K to $100K. And it will definitely take a lot of time!
          Scott Ganow
          Lone Star Performance
          16300 Midway Rd
          Addison, TX 75001
          214-630-5006

Comment

Fuck that

Comment

Originally posted by S_K View Post
              Seriously, if you are having second thoughts now.. walk away. That car is going to be a LOT of time and a lot of dollars. If you don't have the space AND the time AND the money, it's not worth it.
              This right here.

Comment

It's worth about $8-12k as it sits. A '34 Ford Tudor is worth good money, especially one that is fairly complete and rust-free like that one.

If you're dying to have one, that's THE one to build up. If you're not, I'd unload it on the Hamb.
                When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                  If you lack time, money and vision for it, I wouldn't bother. A forever-long resto without passion can be a painful thing.
                  I have had 3 cars done in about the last 8 years. With that in the rear view mirror, I am taking a break from car stuff. I honestly feel that I cut 10 years off my life with all the parts hunting and stress of making sure things were getting done. I still have two project cars left that I would like to have done however I am considering selling one of them and just hanging on to one just in case I get another wild hair!

Comment

If you are looking to restore or build a nice hot rod, you are looking at a lot of time and money. The last one I did a ground up on, a 35 Chevy, took me 30 hrs a week for 9 months.

I'd trade my 37 International for it if you buy it.
                    But then again, I would just ruin it building a hot rod out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                      What he said... This one has been killing me for 5 years now..Frame just went to powdercoat last week.. There are days I have forced myself to the shop. I won't do another one this intense for a long time.

Comment

What about shooting it up and saying Bonnie and Clyde robbed a couple of banks with it. Drag it around on a trailer and make a couple of dollars.

Comment

Very cool car, it could be neat ..

Me, I would hook up with Brian Bass, he will make it sit and look cool as hell , I think last time I asked , his all in frame, suspension set up was $15 k .

Once that stuff is done, you can work thru some of the small items one by one, yup its a commitment but, really entertaining if you have nothing else going on to spend your time doing.

I for sure would Rod the piss out of it, resto's suck

Comment

From my experience on a restomod over the better part of a decade, If you're not into the process, and you cant either do the majority of the work yourself, or have deep enough pockets to pay for it to be done, just walk away. I built mine, because I wanted to, and I wanted to do things a bit different than normal builds that I could have bought done ( and saved money) and just drove. Part of me thinks I would have torn it all apart anyways.
                            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I wouldn't want to do anything more than wire it and get it running. I can remember growing up and a few neighbors had full restoration projects that always ended up being just garage clutter.

Comment

Working...
                              X