Test drove the Ecoboost today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test drove the Ecoboost today.

It was alright , but not what I was expecting. The 5.0 felt better to me all the way around. But there were 20's on the Eco which would strain it some. It shifts way too soon. Maybe it was just the one I drove, but it did not impress me one bit. If it had 422 ft/lbs of torque, I just could not tell it.

torque doesn't feel fast... horsepower does
    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
      torque doesn't feel fast... horsepower does
      torque is the grunt, horsepower's the thump.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I'm glad I bought the 2011 5.0L over the 2010 4.6L.

Comment

Originally posted by SSMAN View Post
          It was alright , but not what I was expecting. The 5.0 felt better to me all the way around. But there were 20's on the Eco which would strain it some. It shifts way too soon. Maybe it was just the one I drove, but it did not impress me one bit. If it had 422 ft/lbs of torque, I just could not tell it.
          Gotta remember what you've been driving for the past several years. You've been spoiled lol! For someone driving a older model F150 they will notice the difference instantly.

Comment

The one I drove out at the Ford Driving Experience did pretty good with a load on it, and also when I foot-braked it up on some boost, but otherwise just punching it didn't seem that big a deal. I think it's probably going to be one of those motors that you have to drive a bit and figure out how to wring out the best power. Might sound funny, but in a way it's powerband reminded a little of one of those old Cyclones...a friend of mine used to have one of those, and I drove it a bit back in the day....just regular driving it wasn't anything special, but forcing it into boost it was much more impressive.
            70' Chevelle RagTop
            (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Originally posted by Rreemo View Post
              The one I drove out at the Ford Driving Experience did pretty good with a load on it, and also when I foot-braked it up on some boost, but otherwise just punching it didn't seem that big a deal. I think it's probably going to be one of those motors that you have to drive a bit and figure out how to wring out the best power. Might sound funny, but in a way it's powerband reminded a little of one of those old Cyclones...a friend of mine used to have one of those, and I drove it a bit back in the day....just regular driving it wasn't anything special, but forcing it into boost it was much more impressive.
              Like driving a Cummins with an auto. You don't just stomp the pedal, if you do that you'll get a lot of noise and little movement. You have to roll into the throttle. I'll bet this thing is the same way.
              Originally posted by racrguy
              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
              Originally posted by racrguy
              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

I am off and bored so I may go test drive one here in a bit. My last truck was the 7.3 turbo so I am sure I will notice a little difference. LOL
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Mychael101 View Post
                  Gotta remember what you've been driving for the past several years. You've been spoiled lol! For someone driving a older model F150 they will notice the difference instantly.

Yeah, but when I drove the 5.0 it had a good grunt to it. I guess I was expecting the same out of the Eco. I am sure with a programmer it would feel a lot better. Just seem by the time the boost starts building , it shifts and has to start all over again.

But like they said above, it might take practice on how to build the boost to get the most out of it. As is, I think the 5.0 will get it no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by SSMAN View Post
                    Yeah, but when I drove the 5.0 it had a good grunt to it. I guess I was expecting the same out of the Eco. I am sure with a programmer it would feel a lot better. Just seem by the time the boost starts building , it shifts and has to start all over again.

But like they said above, it might take practice on how to build the boost to get the most out of it. As is, I think the 5.0 will get it no problem.
                    Hey hey you are missing the point of the ECO boost. Its all about gas mileage rightttt? LOL My biggest concern is long term with one of these. I plan on keeping it for a long time but do not put enough miles on one to really test it right and have Ford fix any issues. I may do 2k a year on all my vehicles but say they have a motor problem at 50k thats really common and Ford will fix while still in warranty. Hell when I hit 50k it may be 5 years out of warranty. LOL
                    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Ummmmm not thinking Doug Stanely the dealership is doing very well. It was like a ghost town and they had a whole 12 F150's, one Explorer, one escape and maybe 10 F250's. They had zero Eco Boost trucks. I havent drove a new truck in so long that I figured why not and drove a 2010 4.6 crew. I will say I was impressed and it had plenty of power. I started to drive a 2011 extended cab 5.0 but I didnt want to waste the guys time. I figured if the 4.6 was that stout the 5.0 would just be that much better. He said they might have one Eco come in tommorrow and be ready to drive but ehhh. I will say my salesman was funny as hell and a no pressure type of guy.
                      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I'm not sure why this thing is supposed to be impressive.

I saw an online drag test between the twin-turbo Ecoboost V6 versus the standard naturally aspirated (bigger) V6. They were about .2 second apart in the quarter mile and the EcoBoost got about 2mpg better. That doesn't sound like $5300 worth of value to me. Maybe someone else can tell me what the magic is.
                        When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Gonna go out on a limb and say if people use it for what it's intended for which is work, whether it be towing a boat or what have you the low end torque is hard to beat for a gas motor. If people are going to buy it for performance then no, it's not a performance truck, no truck is except for the lightning in my book, granted people in their Titan's think it's a race truck too.

I think it's cool, just what a truck needs, and that's low end torque.

Comment

Working...
                          X