Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some advice on buying a 4runner - good deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CJ, I had a 93 and it was gutless. Avg'd 15mpg. Other than that it was reliable.

Comment

if I was getting a 4 runner, I'd get the nicest 22RE my budget would allow... otherwise I'd prefer a Cherokee IMO
      http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
        I may be picking up an 87 high miler, but it is a 22re/5spd, and they have a removeable top...
        I had an 87' last year that I took on a trade deal...I kept it through the summer, didn't put a lot of miles on it but it was a lot of fun! I made a soft top for it out of an old Jeep Safari top that worked out great. The only downside to these is that damned IFS...a solid axle swap does wonders for them, though. I can also say that parts are a little on the high side from what I saw (and limited for after-market).

All that said, I sold this one pretty easy for $2900 (my asking price/first looker) with ~140K and a cold AC. They seem to be much more desireable than the next gen...if that helps any.

70' Chevelle RagTop
        (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Originally posted by Rreemo View Post
          I had an 87' last year that I took on a trade deal...I kept it through the summer, didn't put a lot of miles on it but it was a lot of fun! I made a soft top for it out of an old Jeep Safari top that worked out great. The only downside to these is that damned IFS...a solid axle swap does wonders for them, though. I can also say that parts are a little on the high side from what I saw (and limited for after-market).

All that said, I sold this one pretty easy for $2900 (my asking price/first looker) with ~140K and a cold AC. They seem to be much more desireable than the next gen...if that helps any.
          I saw it for sale and wanted it, but I already have too many toys. I need to get my vert finished and sold, but I got an itch for a 4x4 toy...
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Is this possible dirt vehicle/hunting vehicle CJ?
            First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Fiux View Post
              Is this possible dirt vehicle/hunting vehicle CJ?
              yup.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I'm trading my '83 F-100 street truck for either a heavily modified Cherokee, or a nice condition TJ or up wrangler. If anyone is interested, let me know. I think the 4runner's are a little too hard for me to find with what I'm going for, and man I really want a flip down windshield - so much easier to shoot shit. And a gun mount would be pretty cool one day too.
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                  I'm trading my '83 F-100 street truck for either a heavily modified Cherokee, or a nice condition TJ or up wrangler. If anyone is interested, let me know. I think the 4runner's are a little too hard for me to find with what I'm going for, and man I really want a flip down windshield - so much easier to shoot shit. And a gun mount would be pretty cool one day too.
                  Sounds like a good idea...I think you'll be happier in the long run going that route. I always kind of liked the 2-door XJ's myself...I'd probably pick one up if I ever come across a good enough deal. Something like this guys rig would be cool for how I'd use it....it's sold now, but one I came across last year....

70' Chevelle RagTop
                  (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                    Try this guy.

Comment

Stock axles are 4.10 I thought in those (unless he means the actual axle shafts only are stock), not sure, since I am going by the older 4-runners. As like everyone else, I have heard to avoid the 3.0 like the plague or be ready for the repair.

Stevo
                      Originally posted by SSMAN
                      ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Had a 94 3.0L 4x4 w/ manual 5 speed for a few years, good reliable vehicle, but the engine sucked ass, horrible gas mileage and no power. Also interior was really cramped.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                          if I was getting a 4 runner, I'd get the nicest 22RE my budget would allow... otherwise I'd prefer a Cherokee IMO
                          This^ The 22RE engine will last hundreds of thousands of miles if well taken care of.

Comment

Don't forget about the CV boots ripping or dry rotting on the IFS models, swapping those are a huge pain in the ass.

Comment

CJ, if you remember Kirk from the river, he had a 1984 Toyota pickup with the 22R engine and solid front/rear axles. He was running a 5.88 gear front/back and had limited slip diffs. He had 33" Armstrong Monster Mudders and that truck was like a mountain goat. It could go anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                                Toyota rocks. I agree. 100% assembled in the USA too.
                                never happier than when we got rid of ours.

06 loaded. when it hit 100K it quickly fell apart.

Comment

Working...
                                X