Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some advice on buying a 4runner - good deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice on buying a 4runner - good deal?

I had been mentioning to my family and friends lately that I would really like to get another Jeep. Preferably a Wrangler. However, my mother-in-law happened to have a coworker that wants to part with his '92 4runner. I have always had respect for these, however I can't say I have much knowledge regarding them. I'm going to post the modifications and pic of the truck for you guys, and let me know what you think, and what I need to look out for as far as common issues, problems, expenses. I'd really appreciate any help.

Here is a run-down of the 4Runner I'm trying to sell.

1992 Toyota 4 Runner SR5 4wd Automatic

Engine:
    3.0 V6
    Recently installed water pump, timing belt, fuel filter and fuel sending unit.

Drive train:
    Stock axles, wheels and 31x10.50 tires
    4.88 gears.
    Independent Front suspension
    Solid Axle Rear 4-link on coil springs
    Installed lockrite automatic lockers front and rear.

Standard equipment:
    A/C - slow leak if recharged and ran regularly does not seem to leak most likely an o-ring issue
    Aftermarket CD player - No antenna, therefore weak signals don't come in very well.
    Power windows
    Power mirrors - driver side mirror - glass is loose, but functional
    Power locks
    Tailgate
    Roof rack
    New battery 3-4 months old
    Replaced front brake pads just before last inspection.
    15" aluminum wheels
    Heavy duty plastic floor mats

Damage:
    Various dents, dings and scrapes on passenger side.
    Paint is peeling in spots
    Dent in rear bumper
    Instrument cluster - Speedometer does not work, oil pressure works intermittently - bad wiring at the sensor, odometer does not work 66844 miles

Misc:
    I will also include the original side gears and spacers which were removed during the installation of the automatic lockers,

4-16" steel wheels.
    I have both a front and rear axles for spare parts. Both birfield CV joints for the front. Two front rotors.

The attached image is for color only. I will send a photo of my vehicle.

For the first time ever I don't think the cosmetics mean that much to me. What would you expect to pay for a 4runner this year with that kind of stated* miles.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

I've got a newer one you can buy.

Comment

Would not buy because of the 3.0 v6

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
        Would not buy because of the 3.0 v6
        Yeah the head gasket thing is concerning, my friends back in the day shit the bed the same way. But, the 4.0L have similar issues. What price range would you consider it?
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
          I've got a newer one you can buy.
          That's a little too new for my wallet

Comment

Anemic as hell. Get a jeep with a 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
              Yeah the head gasket thing is concerning, my friends back in the day shit the bed the same way. But, the 4.0L have similar issues. What price range would you consider it?
              $1400 or below

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                Anemic as hell. Get a jeep with a 4.0
                This is my advice. I did my big Jeep for about $2500. You can get decent lifted examples for $3000 or less. I know there is a nice lifted Comanche on LSJC for about 3k. I have been fighting temptation for a while on it. I was thinking about selling one of my bikes and buying it just because but I know I would use it much much less than I would a bike.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                  Not just for that reason, but the 3.0 is probably the worst engine Toyota has ever made. Not much stronger than the 4 cylinder, and it has terrible gas mileage for a 6. Couple that with the automatic, and no thanks. Also, that particular body style is the least desired among Toyota enthusiasts, so keep that in mind also if you intend to resell in the future.

Comment

Under 2k for an auto 3.0, and be ready when it blows both headgaskets for no reason whatsoever.

I may be picking up an 87 high miler, but it is a 22re/5spd, and they have a removeable top...
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                      I may be picking up an 87 high miler, but it is a 22re/5spd, and they have a removeable top...
                      First gen (84-89) 4Runner FTW! 85 FTMFW!

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
                        This is my advice. I did my big Jeep for about $2500. You can get decent lifted examples for $3000 or less. I know there is a nice lifted Comanche on LSJC for about 3k. I have been fighting temptation for a while on it. I was thinking about selling one of my bikes and buying it just because but I know I would use it much much less than I would a bike.

Do want. 4L?

I just wish it was a Cherokee.
                        Last edited by CJ; 02-15-2011, 06:48 PM.

Comment

I would rather have a 4Runner, but thats just me. (bias to Toyota)

This is very nice:

Here is the build thread...

Comment

Toyota rocks. I agree. 100% assembled in the USA too.

Comment

I dont know about that one CJ But I like those toyotas.
                              1997 viper gts
                              1986 turbo mustang
                              1987 Buick grand national
                              1972 nova

Comment

Working...
                              X