Posssible coup happening in Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
    You just won the internet sir. I bet the pools in Turkey will now be exceptionally clean.
    Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
      I agree with you, there. They're reporting it fell apart, and it seems it may have in parts of Instanbul, but you never know with this shit. I think we all remember Chemical Ali. Right now a lot of this is perception. If one side can convince the other they've lost, they'll likely win. I think the military is widely aware if they lose this coup, they'll probably be killed. That is going to motivate them. Most of the people in the streets (hell, nearly all) are the pro-islam radicals, at the request of their president. I've been really surprised at the (relatively) calm interaction between them and the military, but this will likely change if the military feels like they're on the ropes.
      Yep. Rubio was on saying the coup lost, then immediately after CNN had an American reporter living in Istanbul (not Constantinople) and he said there were still jets and firefights going on, and if true that means the fight is not over. Then another woman on location said a large explosion just went off. It isn't over, but like you said a lot of it is about perception of who has won.
      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
        Yep. Rubio was on saying the coup lost, then immediately after CNN had an American reporter living in Istanbul (not Constantinople) and he said there were still jets and firefights going on, and if true that means the fight is not over. Then another woman on location said a large explosion just went off. It isn't over, but like you said a lot of it is about perception of who has won.
        It's also important to consider this has happened before (where the coup was not successful in that it did not depose the government), and it still resulted in the whole government being ousted by the people. This could very well be the point of this.

There have also been people discussing if this whole coup was created by the government as a ruse to enact martial law and tighten their grip on the country.

I find this all very fascinating.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

It's also important to consider this has happened before (where the coup was not successful in that it did not depose the government), and it still resulted in the whole government being ousted by the people. This could very well be the point of this.

There have also been people discussing if this whole coup was created by the government as a ruse to enact martial law and tighten their grip on the country.

I find this all very fascinating.
          Interesting theory but I don't think so. The current regime has been very religious in a bad way. More muslim extremist, backing ISIS financially at one point, shutting down the media, ignoring the constitution, and reported human rights violation. The military is supposed to be much more secular, though I don't have any idea how true that is. But if they are in fact more secular I don't see it being set up by the government. It is a odd coincidence the president was out of the country, but probably planned so that he had less control and they could cut him off. Jets were actually firing on Parliament earlier and I don't think most governments would arrange that. The police have reportedly been backing the regime and fighting with the military, and if it was some kind of government conspiracy those are the two groups you would want working together to enforce the martial law and maintain control.

Comment

regime announced military would be held as traitors with "severe consequences." So consider that the motivation we spoke about earlier.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Erdogan is out in the open giving a speech on Istanbul's streets. That's pretty much a sign this is all but over.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                Erdogan is out in the open giving a speech on Istanbul's streets. That's pretty much a sign this is all but over.
                I think it is, sure seems like it. But, if you recall, Baghdad Bob did the same exact thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                  They were talking a few minutes ago about the military holding other sections of the city so I bet there is still fighting. Like CJ said, the severe consequences should be enough to keep the fight going until all the perpetrators are dead from gunfire. Severe consequences in Islamic regimes usually means getting your head cut off. I'd rather take a bullet.

Comment

Military surrendering in large numbers now.

Comment

you know how I know you're a dumbass?

Comment

you know how I know you're a dumbass?
                        hes laying on the asphalt while wearing a white tshirt?

Comment

It won't be white for long

Comment

A ketchup packet comes to mind......

Comment

And here comes the retrenchment...

Onlinemagazin
                              Onlinemagazin – ‏@OnlineMagazin

��‼���� Turks celebrate failed military coup with a finger (ISIS) Salute and chants of "Allahu Akbar". #Turkey

Video in link.

Comment

Purging of the seculars..

Comment

Working...
                                X