Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posssible coup happening in Turkey

Live updates: https://www.reddit.com/live/x9gf3donjlkq

On twitter there are pics of tanks in the streets and reports of lowflying F16s over the city

Attempted military coup appears underway in Turkey

Published July 15, 2016 FoxNews.com

A military coup appeared to be underway in Turkey Friday evening as gunshots were reported in the capital, Ankara, and soldiers closed off two key bridges in Istanbul.

Reuters, citing a witness, reported that military jets and helicopters were seen flying overhead in both Ankara and Istanbul.

Turkey's prime minister, Binali Yildirim, said that a "coup attempt" by factions within the military was in progress and vowed that the country's security forces would "uphold democracy."

Ahmet Yayla of the International Center for the Study of Violent Extremism posted an image on Twitter of military vehicles on the streets of Ankara.

There were no immediate reports of any casualties and there was no official statement from the Turkish government.

Meanwhile, private broadcaster NTV reported that both bridges across the Bosphorus strait, which separates Europe and Asia, had been closed to traffic.

This makes a bit more sense now.

Comment

Yup, confirmed shitshow

BREAKING: US military sources: US-Turkish base at Incirlik, outlying bases ordered to “Force Protection Condition Delta;" missions halted.
      BREAKING According to our source, Turkish president Ardogan left the country in his private presidential jet

Comment

Well I am not shocked honestly

Comment

1 minute ago Military declares martial law, curfew announcement on national TV

Last edited by Strychnine; 07-15-2016, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Reuters, citing a witness, reported that military jets and helicopters were seen flying overhead in both Ankara and Istanbul.
            Not Constantinople?
            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
              Not Constantinople?
              Well played!

We've got a fairly large old fishing radio and from what shitty Turkish we know it seems that the navy are clearing the harbors and that the Navy might be departing for some destination.

Comment

I guess Putin didn't care for Erdogan's apology.

Comment

There are reports that Erdogan has already fled to either Germany or England.

Comment

Now I'm reading that Erdogan asked for asylum in Germany and was DENIED. So he's heading to London.. I haven't seen this confirmed yet..

Erdogan is a dick, but he was elected. Who knows what Turkey's military will do if they keep power. They could leave NATO or even be kicked out. They may ally themselves with Russia. Just wild speculation on my part..

Comment

Comment

LMFAO

David

Comment

Seems like some people are reporting the military coup may have failed?
                          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

The turkish military have long seen themselves as the protectors of Secularism. Maybe they didnt like how things were playing out and intervened?

Comment

Gold gargamel, gold I tell you! You win

Comment

Working...
                              X