Fun 4-door daily on a budget?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
    The STI is exactly why I'm eyeing the LegacyGT or SpecB. Seems like a slightly more refined WRX
    Those are REALLY hard to find unmolested and in decent condition for a reasonable price. The Legacy and the WRX hold their resale value like nobody's business. If you can find a nice, unmolested SpecB with a normal amount of miles for a decent price, fucking jump on it.

Comment

I rented an A4 a few weeks ago in San Francisco and it was a blast driving through wine country, I bet an S6 would be a ton of fun.

Comment

We loved our G35, it was a 06 I think. Though, it seems you already have some experience with them. I had a blast driving that thing. Plenty of power to have fun in and handled pretty good for a sedan. We would have kept it had the wife not put 60K on it in a year commuting for work.
        Originally posted by Leah
        Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Didn't the first gen V have problems grenading rear ends?
          Mainly just 04-05s. 06-07s were much better about it. Most of those have the upgraded version from 2008 now, so it's not a big deal. They also make a kit for the suspension that helps eliminate wheel hop that wasn't too pricey, if memory serves.

Comment

Trailblazer SS

Comment

Love my GS 350. I wouldn't hesitate to look at an 07-10 with 100k+.

Comment

So close to my budget yet so far...

But so fucking worth it. I remember racing a brand new ISF in my vette and it held on a hell of a lot better than I thought it would, it was surprising.

At that price range I think a G8 GT or GXP is going to be out of your price range. I was really interested in buying one, but couldn't find a GXP for a decent price or with the options I wanted. Not to mention they get absolutely abysmal fuel economy (bad enough for me to care). I'm a big guy also and that limits what you can realistically live with. I'm not sure what Marauders are going for, but that's an idea. Also you may consider a late model TL Type-S. They don't hold their value very well. You would probably be surprised just how recent of a model would fit into your budget.

The Infiniti M56 is a bad bitch, but I (personally) have always felt Infiniti took a back seat to Lexus in terms of quality, refinement, and materials. Great cars, but every time I drove one I just felt like money was being spent on something intangible.

You can't go wrong with Lexus. As Fordblue recommended, the GS's are really nice cars for the money. Given your budget though, you would best be served looking at a prior gen GS300 or GS350, as he suggested. They're not going to break, they look good, they have good room for big guys, and they'll hold their value better than most anything.
                Last edited by CJ; 07-11-2016, 06:01 PM.
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                  Those are REALLY hard to find unmolested and in decent condition for a reasonable price. The Legacy and the WRX hold their resale value like nobody's business. If you can find a nice, unmolested SpecB with a normal amount of miles for a decent price, fucking jump on it.
                  Yeah it seems close to impossible to find one that hasn't been modded. Most have bigger turbos, tunes, FMIC, etc.

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                  I rented an A4 a few weeks ago in San Francisco and it was a blast driving through wine country, I bet an S6 would be a ton of fun.
                  S6 would be great, but the timing chain guides scare the crap out of me. $3000 for parts alone, or $5000 to have it done? Hard pass

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                  We loved our G35, it was a 06 I think. Though, it seems you already have some experience with them. I had a blast driving that thing. Plenty of power to have fun in and handled pretty good for a sedan. We would have kept it had the wife not put 60K on it in a year commuting for work.
                  Sounds like they are built like tanks. I definitely plan to test drive some 37 sedans when I'm in Dallas this weekend.

Originally posted by SVT Lurch View Post
                  Mainly just 04-05s. 06-07s were much better about it. Most of those have the upgraded version from 2008 now, so it's not a big deal. They also make a kit for the suspension that helps eliminate wheel hop that wasn't too pricey, if memory serves.
                  Thanks! I'll have to look into those rear end suspension kits.

Originally posted by Fordblue625 View Post
                  Love my GS 350. I wouldn't hesitate to look at an 07-10 with 100k+.
                  Those hadn't even crossed my mind. Big freaking car but if its fast and can make it around a corner I'm game. Thanks!

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                  But so fucking worth it. I remember racing a brand new ISF in my vette and it held on a hell of a lot better than I thought it would, it was surprising.

At that price range I think a G8 GT or GXP is going to be out of your price range. I was really interested in buying one, but couldn't find a GXP for a decent price or with the options I wanted. Not to mention they get absolutely abysmal fuel economy (bad enough for me to care). I'm a big guy also and that limits what you can realistically live with. I'm not sure what Marauders are going for, but that's an idea. Also you may consider a late model TL Type-S. They don't hold their value very well. You would probably be surprised just how recent of a model would fit into your budget.

The Infiniti M56 is a bad bitch, but I (personally) have always felt Infiniti took a back seat to Lexus in terms of quality, refinement, and materials. Great cars, but every time I drove one I just felt like money was being spent on something intangible.

You can't go wrong with Lexus. As Fordblue recommended, the GS's are really nice cars for the money. Given your budget though, you would best be served looking at a prior gen GS300 or GS350, as he suggested. They're not going to break, they look good, they have good room for big guys, and they'll hold their value better than most anything.
                  Yeah the G8 GT can be found for just shy of $20k and for the right car I can go for it. But the freaking GXPs are stupid pricey, like damn near MSRP.

Haven't put any thought into Marauder yet. Worth a look, but I'm sure it handles like a boat.

TL-S is definitely an option but finding a RWD or AWD would definitely be ideal. The newer SH-AWD would work but holy shit they are ugly!

I agree w/ Infiniti vs Lexus. I'm sure most of it goes back to the cars they are based on. Between Toyota and Nissan, I feel Toyota is definitely the more solid brand generally speaking.

Comment

Yeah it seems close to impossible to find one that hasn't been modded. Most have bigger turbos, tunes, FMIC, etc.

S6 would be great, but the timing chain guides scare the crap out of me. $3000 for parts alone, or $5000 to have it done? Hard pass

Sounds like they are built like tanks. I definitely plan to test drive some 37 sedans when I'm in Dallas this weekend.

Thanks! I'll have to look into those rear end suspension kits.

Those hadn't even crossed my mind. Big freaking car but if its fast and can make it around a corner I'm game. Thanks!

Yeah the G8 GT can be found for just shy of $20k and for the right car I can go for it. But the freaking GXPs are stupid pricey, like damn near MSRP.

Haven't put any thought into Marauder yet. Worth a look, but I'm sure it handles like a boat.

TL-S is definitely an option but finding a RWD or AWD would definitely be ideal. The newer SH-AWD would work but holy shit they are ugly!

I agree w/ Infiniti vs Lexus. I'm sure most of it goes back to the cars they are based on. Between Toyota and Nissan, I feel Toyota is definitely the more solid brand generally speaking.
                    I think it was suggested earlier, but a prior gen Lexus LS is one HELL of a lot of car for the money, and higher mileage cars are near your budget. The only downside is they have pretty crappy fuel economy. 20k will get you into an 80k mile car, and for the money nothing on the planet even comes close. Those cars shit directly on eurotrash face in the quality and amenities department. They're no slouch in the acceleration department, either. I was surprised.

Here's one with 89k for $17,895

I would highly suggest you test drive one just to know what your money buys, it's a pretty big eye opener. No, it's not a sports car, it's quite the opposite. However, it has nearly 400hp and runs the quarter in 14 flat, so it isn't disappointing, either.
                    Last edited by CJ; 07-11-2016, 06:52 PM.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Just got a G8 GT for a deal, they're nice cars.
                      If you want to spend 3-4x that in the mid 20s range, get a CTS-V

I know where a nice '09 V is with 65k for $25k if you're interested
                      Originally posted by Buzzo
                      Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

I've got a hyundai equus for the week, it's pretty radical and it has a 5.0 v8 with a 8 speed transmission. You could also look at the Genesis sedan 5.0 or the infiniti m45, I wouldn't step down to a g37

Comment

Originally posted by crapstang View Post
                          Just got a G8 GT for a deal, they're nice cars.
                          If you want to spend 3-4x that in the mid 20s range, get a CTS-V

I know where a nice '09 V is with 65k for $25k if you're interested
                          25 is kind of pushing it otherwise I would already be driving an IS-F.

Originally posted by 4king View Post
                          I've got a hyundai equus for the week, it's pretty radical and it has a 5.0 v8 with a 8 speed transmission. You could also look at the Genesis sedan 5.0 or the infiniti m45, I wouldn't step down to a g37
                          Why do you say the G is a step down? Just the luxury aspect of it like a 5 series is a step down from a 7? I mean it's a step down in luxury, but considering driving performance I'd imagine the G37 or 5 series would be the step up.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                            I think it was suggested earlier, but a prior gen Lexus LS is one HELL of a lot of car for the money, and higher mileage cars are near your budget. The only downside is they have pretty crappy fuel economy. 20k will get you into an 80k mile car, and for the money nothing on the planet even comes close. Those cars shit directly on eurotrash face in the quality and amenities department. They're no slouch in the acceleration department, either. I was surprised.

Here's one with 89k for $17,895

I would highly suggest you test drive one just to know what your money buys, it's a pretty big eye opener. No, it's not a sports car, it's quite the opposite. However, it has nearly 400hp and runs the quarter in 14 flat, so it isn't disappointing, either.
                            I'll see if I can find one around next weekend. Getting a little on the land yacht end of the spectrum for my taste and away from the fun to drive end, but rest drives are free. I'll check it out!

Comment

The G's a nice ride, good all around performer for a sedan. I'm a fan, probably picking up a newer one here in a few months.
                              Originally posted by davbrucas
                              I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Another vote for G35/37, especially if it has 3 pedals.

Comment

Working...
                                X