Fun 4-door daily on a budget?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun 4-door daily on a budget?

Its time to sell the 2 seat Ranger daily that has served me so faithfully and look for something more child-friendly.

I've always had a crush on E39 M5s and started to price them out since its spacious with 4 doors and a large trunk, but it seems you either get something over 100k miles or something over $20k for the most part. I had initially started looking at selections for $15k, but an M5 with 160k miles on it isn't too appealing for a daily.

I've looked around at other options like Speed6, Legacy spec.b,and IS250, but beyond that I'm having trouble with more ideas. I was even looking at the W211 E55 and the 5th gen S6, but again the maintenance worries me on a daily.

So for around $15k, is there anything I'm missing for a fun (relatively fast, fun to drive) 4 door that can fit a car seat in the back?
    Last edited by bottlerocket; 07-11-2016, 06:26 PM.

Fiesta st, mazdaspeed 3
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Close to g37 sedan territory.
      Originally posted by davbrucas
      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Evo or a f150 Harley Davidson (4 door)!

Comment

Back in 2009 when I was seriously looking at used M3's I talked to a friend that was a mechanic at Park Place Motors and he told me to not even consider ANY of the German luxury performance cars if they had over 50k miles or were out of warranty...thats where they make their money...parts are stupid expensive and dealer service will break your bank. Yes they are pretty...and most of them are fast...but do you really want to spend half your income keeping them running? Mazdaspeed 6 is no joke. Used SHO Taurus, if you want something fun to tinker with thats cheap as shit...supercharged Buick GS or GTP, or one of the V8 Grand Prix. You MIGHT could find a G8 GT...basically a Chevy SS in Pontiac trim. Don't discount the Mopar brothers....you can find an early Hemi Charger for not too much coin.

Comment

WRX, 1st gen CTS-V, pontiac G8, G35, or E46 BMW.

Personally I would aim for the CTS-V.

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
              Fiesta st, mazdaspeed 3
              I'm 6'4 so the fiesta is out. No way a car seat goes in the back middle and still have room to sit. Speed3 had crossed my mind but was hesitant about FWD

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
              Close to g37 sedan territory.
              G37 and M45 both. Might have to check those out

Originally posted by Blandnuts View Post
              Evo or a f150 Harley Davidson (4 door)!
              Never been a big mitsu fan. And I've test driven some of the late 2000s F150s and not been very impressed. Like the build quality on the 2003 and earlier was better and after that Ford was trying too hard and ended up making a truck with a crappy plastic wrapper. Im probably the minority here but if I were to buy a Ford truck it would be a 96 or 97 F250 crew cab.

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
              Back in 2009 when I was seriously looking at used M3's I talked to a friend that was a mechanic at Park Place Motors and he told me to not even consider ANY of the German luxury performance cars if they had over 50k miles or were out of warranty...thats where they make their money...parts are stupid expensive and dealer service will break your bank. Yes they are pretty...and most of them are fast...but do you really want to spend half your income keeping them running? Mazdaspeed 6 is no joke. Used SHO Taurus, if you want something fun to tinker with thats cheap as shit...supercharged Buick GS or GTP, or one of the V8 Grand Prix. You MIGHT could find a G8 GT...basically a Chevy SS in Pontiac trim. Don't discount the Mopar brothers....you can find an early Hemi Charger for not too much coin.
              That's a damn shame. New SHO Taurus? I don't think I've ever felt a smaller interior in a car that ch it before! I drove one and that damn center console is a bit much.

But ooooooh yes the G8. I just wish they came in a manual but I don't have the cash for a GXP. Might have to go find a hemi magnum or charger. I drove one of the new scat packs and I'm worried it ruined me for older chargers. That transmission is amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                WRX, 1st gen CTS-V, pontiac G8, G35, or E46 BMW.

Personally I would aim for the CTS-V.

Agree with all but the first 2. Well, unless I can find an unmodified WRX. Anything that's modded gets me worried with those cars.

Didn't the first gen V have problems grenading rear ends?
                Last edited by bottlerocket; 07-09-2016, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
                  Agree with all but the first 2. Well, unless I can find an unmodified WRX. Anything that's missed gets me worried with those cars.

Didn't the first gen V have problems grenading rear ends?

I drove a WRX for several days and that was just a fun little SOB. Unfuckedwith is a must on them though.

The rear end was a problem with idiots trying to launch the piss out of the car and then wheel hop. If it was driven decently, it shouldn't have a problem.

Comment

One of my wife's friends had a newer WRX. Under warranty the 1st and 2nd gears in the trans had to be replaced and around 30k miles the engine shit itself. They traded it in on a Toyota lol.

I had a 2010 (I think) NA Impreza. Good looking car but it was a gutless turd. After driving at highway speeds for any length of time the car would smell like burning oil. Didn't have any oil leaks either.

Comment

I'll probably get slammed for this but :

used Accord 13/14/15 EX-L V6 6sp manual. 278hp, fun to drive and has great back seat.

Comment

How much for the ranger?

Originally posted by DOHCTR
                        You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Comment

S60-R. 300hp, 6 speed Awd 4 door
                          Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by codsack View Post
                            I'll probably get slammed for this but :

used Accord 13/14/15 EX-L V6 6sp manual. 278hp, fun to drive and has great back seat.
                            Did they make a v6 6sp in a 4 door? I had an 03 that I thoroughly enjoyed but it was a coupe

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
                            S60-R. 300hp, 6 speed Awd 4 door
                            That's a good lookin car. I'll have to look into how maintenance is on them

Comment

Originally posted by bonnie&clyde View Post
                              How much for the ranger?
                              Haven't put much thought into it since I have to get a car first, but probably 1750. It's a 92 single cab 5sp 2.3.

Comment

Working...
                              X