Best cell phone/plan for kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best cell phone/plan for kids

So I guess with this day and age it's about that time. Damn the technology!! I didn't have my first cell phone until I was 18 and out of high school wth a job. My daughter is 9 years old and just finished 3rd grade.
    What's the best phone and plan/carrier for a kid that age? Really all she would need it for in my opinion is to text and call. I currently have an iPhone with Sprint.

Any ideas?

My daughter is the same age...I got her a Tmo phone at Walmart $75 and just added a line with Tmo with unlimited data, talk ect...only pay about $40 a month. I do monitor all her apps and usage
    Originally posted by Da Prez
    Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
    Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

Not sure how it works with Sprint, but I have AT&T and I can just add a line to our family share plan for $15. Def go with an iphone, you can have more control over what things she can use and download.

Comment

My step-daughter got hers at 13, and it has been the best/worst thing ever. It's great because she's addicted to contact with her peers, so it works well for punishment, not so great because she's up our asses with boredom when she does get it taken away, and generally locked in her room chatting on it otherwise.

Her mom's got sprint and added her as a second line, no idea what she pays.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
          My step-daughter got hers at 13, and it has been the best/worst thing ever. It's great because she's addicted to contact with her peers, so it works well for punishment, not so great because she's up our asses with boredom when she does get it taken away, and generally locked in her room chatting on it otherwise.

That's the damn truth. My son is at the age where taking his phone away is the only way I can get his attention. And when I have it, he's up my ass because he's bored. So when he is grounded, so am I. Damn kids...
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

My 12 year old got his a few years ago and we just added a line to the plan. My 8 year old wants one now, and it's not happening for a while. We have 3 phones on the plan (I have a phone for work), so we have a third cell phone ($10 per month) that is the house phone. If the 8 year old goes somewhere with another family or spends the night, he takes that phone but gives it back as soon as he gets back to us.

Comment

Boost mobile no data unlimited talk and text 30 a month

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post

Indeed its a good babysitter
                Originally posted by Da Prez
                Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
                Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

We just added a line and gave my 8 year old step son a iphone 5s. We got it from my mom since she upgraded. Got my 2 month old a new s7... well it's my wifes but it's filled with pictures my wife takes of my daughter.

Comment

I thought with AT&T that you had to get a phone through them when adding a line to your plan? We're going to be in the same boat soon but I'm not buying a damn iPhone 6 for a 12 yr old. Right now she's been bumming off a friends when she's out and needs to call us. The downside is that we're limited to reaching her through her friends # or if she's on their wifi with her ipad.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                      I thought with AT&T that you had to get a phone through them when adding a line to your plan? We're going to be in the same boat soon but I'm not buying a damn iPhone 6 for a 12 yr old. Right now she's been bumming off a friends when she's out and needs to call us. The downside is that we're limited to reaching her through her friends # or if she's on their wifi with her ipad.
                      My s6a melted on the charger, and I have to send it to samsung to get it replaced. A week and some changed without a phone wasnt really an option (tried to find a payphone lately?) so I bought a go phone at the att store to use till I get my new one, and keep as a back up. It kinda sucks, has a crappy screen, no memory, crappy camera, but it works and was 80 bucks for a samsung express 3. Plugged my sim card in and away I went. They have some that are like 25-30 bucks for a flip phone.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I held out till just over a month ago for my oldest who is 11. Walmart month to month powered by tmobile. 129.99 for the Samsung something and 25.99/mo unlimited everything and 1GB LTE speed.
                        WRX

Comment

I bought my daughter an iPod, it can make calls as long as its on WiFi. Shes far too young anyway to understand what it is, but she can facetime grandma. If she needs an actual phone, I bought mom and dad some from tmobile for $149, basic smart phone and havent heard them complain. They had cheaper ones I think.

Also tmobile is hard to beat, I have 4 phones unlimited everything for $126.93 a month

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                            No, you can just add a phone to the plan. I have 2-3 old phones on a shelf at the house to activate as needed. Actually, just 2 now as we turned one on a few months ago.

Comment

Working...
                            X